Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 515 516 [517] 518 519 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247723 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #7740 on: September 11, 2013, 06:24:38 pm »

I am definitely on the "That's racist" side of things here. Jesus Christ, Europe.
It's more of a Dutch thing.

Heh... my wife lived in the Netherlands for a year, and I remember her telling me about Zwarte Piet.  It didn't seem racist to her, though.  More of an oddity.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7741 on: September 11, 2013, 06:28:31 pm »

Though once again I think it is more about me being blissfully ignorant.
Yes.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7742 on: September 11, 2013, 06:40:05 pm »

This makes me thinks of celebrating Sinterklaas at school. Seeing your teacher all black and in those costumes is hilarious~

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7743 on: September 11, 2013, 06:50:12 pm »

I would have liked Sinterklaas and Zwarte Piet more if they didn't give me nothing but ginger drops and mints when I went and did the begging by the river thing.

Frigging Dutch taste in sweets sucked the fun out of the racist holiday.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7744 on: September 11, 2013, 06:52:27 pm »

Why don't the Dutch make magical chocolate like the Belgians manage to? Even the Germans are good at it, the Swiss especially.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7745 on: September 11, 2013, 06:53:29 pm »

Why don't the Dutch make magical chocolate like the Belgians manage to? Even the Germans are good at it, the Swiss especially.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7746 on: September 11, 2013, 06:54:42 pm »

There was sometimes chocolate, but I seem to remember it being mainly hard and bitter stuff.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7747 on: September 11, 2013, 06:55:51 pm »

But Pnx was talking about the "Dutch taste in sweets".... oh I get it now, it's only ok if a DUTCH person says it. Yeah, it's just political correctness gone mad I tell you! Hang on, let me put down this copy of the Daily Mail so I can adjust the gusset of my Union Jack underpants.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 06:58:42 pm by Owlbread »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7748 on: September 11, 2013, 06:56:46 pm »

But Pnx was talking about the "Dutch taste in sweets".... oh I get it now, it's only ok if a DUTCH person says it. Yeah, it's just political correctness gone mad I tell you.
I just wanted to post that gif here :v

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7749 on: September 11, 2013, 06:58:21 pm »

...And in the US it causes race fights in a sufficiently diverse neighborhood. Even, and especially on Halloween. It's seen as a call-back to the time when they were seen as an oddity, weird, strange. "Darky" is the word Wikipedia reminds me of. "Them darkies" is the implied thought, and so people using blackface is a relic from that age where being black was a novelty in and of itself, and stereotypes was the primary interest in them.

To be entirely honest though, just the images on Wikipedia make me mad, and it freaks me out there are places outside of Alabama where it is seen as harmless fun (although you probably couldn't get away with it in Alabama, huge black population.) It's the product of a time over a hundred years ago in the US.

Err, lack of magic?

Quote from: Dutchling
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Big difference between the assumed quality of physical exports of a country; and the assumed  stereotypes regarding a certain race. Simply put, it isn't racist that Germans make good cars because they do make a higher quality car due to large  high-end manufacturing industry.

If I wanted to be racist, I'd confuse the Dutch with the Deutsche, and the Swiss with the Swedes. And Yodeling would be involved, and Lederhosen prominent.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7750 on: September 11, 2013, 07:00:46 pm »

I'm sure my grandmother had a dog called "darkie" and a cat called "blackie". The word "darkie" is still quite popular in the UK among certain people but it's nearly always tongue in cheek.

Big difference between the assumed quality of physical exports of a country; and the assumed  stereotypes regarding a certain race. Simply put, it isn't racist that Germans make good cars because they do make a higher quality car due to large  high-end manufacturing industry.

If I wanted to be racist, I'd confuse the Dutch with the Deutsche, and the Swiss with the Swedes. And Yodeling would be involved, and Lederhosen prominent.

Though many say that the Dutch and the Germans are not "races", they are nationalities/ethnicities. You know, I recall having a debate with somebody a few months ago who rather distinctly implied that "Scots" (a generalisation) want to "kick the English out" of this country as soon as we get the chance. Quite straight-faced too, we were debating nationalism and such at the time. In retrospect I don't really consider that racist, he just wasn't thinking at the time I presume.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 07:07:30 pm by Owlbread »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7751 on: September 11, 2013, 07:01:14 pm »

Okay, before people are going to believe I actually think there is something like a Dutch master race which just happens to be bad at making chocolate: I don't.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7752 on: September 11, 2013, 07:07:37 pm »

...there is something like a Dutch master race which just happens to be bad at making chocolate...
This is how Politicians get disgraced.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7753 on: September 11, 2013, 07:10:40 pm »

Riddle me this, is it the Walloon or Flemish part of Belgium that makes such good chocolate?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7754 on: September 11, 2013, 07:22:48 pm »

Riddle me this, is it the Walloon or Flemish part of Belgium that makes such good chocolate?
I am going to assume it's the Flemish because they are closer to the DMR.
Pages: 1 ... 515 516 [517] 518 519 ... 759