Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 521 522 [523] 524 525 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244298 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #7830 on: September 13, 2013, 04:07:03 pm »

Confusing above normal IQ with Autism. (Not uncommon; both are often related, after all)

Also some general stupidity near the end. Clearly not one of the gifted.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7831 on: September 13, 2013, 04:08:51 pm »

Autism severely reduces IQ outside of high-functioning and Aspergers.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7832 on: September 13, 2013, 04:12:52 pm »

The quote is obviously talking about Aspergers though.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7833 on: September 13, 2013, 04:14:41 pm »

And Aspergers is constantly in and out of whether or not it is a type of autism. They seem unable to make up their mind.
It's a pointlessly subjective attempt at distinction. Aspergers can be considered to be in the spectrum, and more high-functioning than high-functioning, or it can be considered a related condition outside of the spectrum, but it makes no practical difference.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7834 on: September 13, 2013, 04:46:37 pm »

They didn't have any incentive. For the most part, they were ordered to by the government. And what they have done may yet come back to bite them.

This was my point.

Quit acting like a conspiracy theorist.

Pointing out that something has happened in the past and could happen again is not acting like a conspiracy theorist.  You're overreacting to my statement.  I've not said that people should stop getting vaccinations or anything like that.  Only that I can understand why some people would be paranoid, even if they take it to stupid extremes.  It's not their fault that every powerful institution in the country has proven to us over and over and over again for as long as anyone alive can remember that they cannot be trusted.  Those institutions are at fault for continually weakening the fabric of society with their power games.

But what motive does the government have for poisoning people with vaccines?

Is it really hard to imagine how a bunch of megalomaniacs might enjoy the ability to secretly put substances in the bodies of whoever they wanted?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7835 on: September 13, 2013, 04:52:56 pm »

Pointing out that something has happened in the past and could happen again is not acting like a conspiracy theorist.  You're overreacting to my statement.  I've not said that people should stop getting vaccinations or anything like that.  Only that I can understand why some people would be paranoid, even if they take it to stupid extremes.  It's not their fault that every powerful institution in the country has proven to us over and over and over again for as long as anyone alive can remember that they cannot be trusted.  Those institutions are at fault for continually weakening the fabric of society with their power games.
There. Is. No. Reason. For. Anybody. To. Do. What. You. Are. Suggesting.

The government did have a reason (however bad) for their Big Data projects, that being paranoia of terrorists and IP enforcement, but what you are suggesting serves no purpose whatsoever.

Is it really hard to imagine how a bunch of megalomaniacs might enjoy the ability to secretly put substances in the bodies of whoever they wanted?
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7836 on: September 13, 2013, 04:54:10 pm »

*sigh*

One more time: Look up eugenics in America.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7837 on: September 13, 2013, 04:59:34 pm »

1. That has nothing to do with what we are discussing.

2. No significant portion of the population supports eugenics anymore, and besides:

3. Eugenics in the traditional sense is completely impossible to actually do, and would require programs that last longer than the lifespan of most nations combined.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7838 on: September 13, 2013, 05:04:02 pm »

Yea, lets compare a horrible act by a government against humanity to a trialed and proven medical practice that has shown to be one of the best preventive measures in the world. Might as well advice people about the dangers of washing your hands.

But then the fluoride people already do...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7839 on: September 13, 2013, 05:42:35 pm »

Well, let's rephrase it to be accurate:

the ability to put the same chemical into everybody, after it has gone through clinical trials.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7840 on: September 13, 2013, 05:57:01 pm »

Yea, lets compare a horrible act by a government against humanity to a trialed and proven medical practice that has shown to be one of the best preventive measures in the world.

Who has said anything meant to compare these two things?

The government did have a reason (however bad) for their Big Data projects, that being paranoia of terrorists and IP enforcement, but what you are suggesting serves no purpose whatsoever.

So I'm a conspiracy theorist if I believe that given the ability to, for example, medicate an unaware population into complacency that there would be some support for such a measure and that under the right circumstances, it could actually happen?  Especially when we're taking about organizations which have mass medicated populations in the past with the explicit goal of achieving mind control, and continues to regularly engage in mass violation of basic rights?

Keep in mind, I'm not saying that this is a thing which is happening right now.  I'm saying it's well-established that it can happen.

2. No significant portion of the population supports eugenics anymore, and besides:

Not very relevant, when popular support doesn't have much to do with decision-making in America.  Programs that are expected to be unpopular (but useful for consolidating power) are decided on and implemented in secret.

Even if that weren't the case, culture can swing back in that direction.

3. Eugenics in the traditional sense is completely impossible to actually do, and would require programs that last longer than the lifespan of most nations combined.

Since when does this stop people from attempting stupid, reprehensible shit anyway?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 05:59:18 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7841 on: September 13, 2013, 06:05:18 pm »

You know, I really don't know why the government has pulled ANY of the bullshit medical experiments they've pulled. Secret drugs for no scientific benefit? Check. Intentionally infecting people it claims to be treating 'just to see what happens'? Check. Now, a while ago, I would have said "The cold war is over, stuff like that doesn't happen anymore", but honestly?

I don't really have any idea. The whole post-investigation on those programs showed they were terribly illegal at the time, but no one who would care knew about them or the extent of what they were up to. It was a side effect of secret government organizations without much oversight.

Do I think they are doing it now? Probably not.

But I could understand how someone could, and while it would make them a conspiracy theorist remember that they are theorizing something that DID IN FACT HAPPEN might be happening again UNDER SIMILAR CIRCUMSTANCES.

I don't think the government, as a whole, has any interest in repeating the bullshit it pulled in the past - but I've also got good reason to believe they've got plenty of secret programs still running with minimal oversight. So they might actually be doing so, and while the fear is unreasonable statistically, it's still a fear that could be considered "realistic" if not "reasonable" - it's not a completely bonkers conspiracy theory, on account of the government having a proven track record of engaging in it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7842 on: September 13, 2013, 06:06:30 pm »

the ability to put the same chemical into everybody, after it has gone through clinical trials.
Hnn... disregarding the rest of the conversation, clinical trials -- in the states, at least -- are not quite as rigorous (or corruption proof, it seems some days) as I'd prefer, m'self. Might not mean much, in practice.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7843 on: September 13, 2013, 06:11:34 pm »

I just want to clarify: My position is that "Man, I wish I could shut down all these looney conspiracy theorists, but the god damn government keeps doing conspiracies!"

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7844 on: September 13, 2013, 06:16:58 pm »

It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way they work.

The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 521 522 [523] 524 525 ... 759