Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 539 540 [541] 542 543 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244287 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #8100 on: February 14, 2014, 02:20:31 pm »

Okay, maybe I legitimately misread what people were saying. Whatever.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8101 on: February 14, 2014, 02:22:36 pm »

Actually, if you ask cops here, they'll tell you to use spray-on deodorant instead of mace, apparently it's not good for the eyes either. :p

More seriously, spraying people because they're walking toward you is BAAAAD. If you really think you're going to get mugged, turn around say "hello", if the guy still look aggressive, ready the mace, if he goes toward you to the point where you know he is attacking, mace away.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8102 on: February 14, 2014, 02:23:17 pm »

Stop it. This was a good discussion that doesn't need to degrade into insults.

Max, your original post had a point but it really seems like your intention was to anger anyone who disagrees with you. If you actually want to discuss this honestly then restate your point more respectfully.

Willfor, please do not respond to bad posts with more bad posts. That helps nothing.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8103 on: February 14, 2014, 02:26:03 pm »

Could you do me a favor and quote what post exactly you think was unrespecful and argumentative?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8104 on: February 14, 2014, 02:27:20 pm »

Willfor, your original post had a point but it really seems like your intention was to anger anyone who disagrees with you. If you actually want to discuss this honestly then restate your point more respectfully.
Max, please do not respond to bad posts with more bad posts. That helps nothing.
ftfy

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8105 on: February 14, 2014, 02:28:19 pm »

Yeah, I like my discussion. Can we have it some more if we promise to behave poh?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8106 on: February 14, 2014, 02:28:39 pm »

More seriously, spraying people because they're walking toward you is BAAAAD. If you really think you're going to get mugged, turn around say "hello", if the guy still look aggressive, ready the mace, if he goes toward you to the point where you know he is attacking, mace away.
Agreed. On the other hand, given that we live in a society that likes to handle these situations by teaching women to fear for their lives if they're ever out alone, it's still something you hafta take into account. It's not ideal, but there's no call to aggravate the situation either.

Quote from: penguinofhonor
-snip-
Quote from: Max White
-snip-
Please let's not get into arguments about arguments, folks. Far too meta.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8107 on: February 14, 2014, 02:29:19 pm »

"You are completely ignoring the fact that you are being perceived as a sexual partner, and doing absolutely nothing within your power to change that perception. You are ignoring the fact that people have been educated to view you, personally, as a sexual partner. You are ignoring the treatment of both the symptoms and the disease at the same time by putting the blame completely on the man instead of the shitty system in which you happen to be a willing/unwilling cog." ~ Willfor, on why women should be required to wear burkas or else get raped.
Shame on you for stooping so low. Especially on this thread.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8108 on: February 14, 2014, 02:31:56 pm »

Yeah, mace is nothing to mess around with. There's a reason so many countries restrict it's use. It needs better justification than a bad feeling about someone to use, IMO.

Preedit:
Actually, if you ask cops here, they'll tell you to use spray-on deodorant instead of mace, apparently it's not good for the eyes either. :p

This.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8109 on: February 14, 2014, 02:35:24 pm »

Alright, I admitted that I jumped the gun already. I mostly agree with Sheb here on procedure. I picked a bad way to express myself. I apologize.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8110 on: February 14, 2014, 02:45:51 pm »

And here I was thinking people were literally suggesting to go medieval and knock someone's brains out.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8111 on: February 14, 2014, 02:50:12 pm »

I would certainly give anyone carrying any sort of medieval weaponry a wide berth  :)
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8112 on: February 14, 2014, 03:01:13 pm »

Shame on you for stooping so low. Especially on this thread.
I still think that was the most effective way to show just how little difference there is between victim blaming and victim blaming.

I actually don't have a problem with giving people the advice that in certain neighborhoods it is a bad idea to approach people, including women for the reason being discussed. I don't want to get maced, so if I'm worried about it I think it is a reasonable thing to stay a certain distance away from people. Where I take exception, however, is that if you do choose to walk more quickly that does not then justify assault via mace spray. You can't just say 'Well she thought she was being attacked, so fuck that guy, even if he was just trying to make his way home!'

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8113 on: February 14, 2014, 03:03:49 pm »

Could you do me a favor and quote what post exactly you think was unrespecful and argumentative?

I'll link to it because I'm on my phone and that's slightly less difficult.

There's a fine line between making a joke in your argument and ridiculing people who disagree with you. It felt like you were trying to get a response like Willfor's out of someone rather than a real counterpoint.

I still think that was the most effective way to show just how little difference there is between victim blaming and victim blaming.

I think this sentence does a better job than your earlier post.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8114 on: February 14, 2014, 03:12:23 pm »

I for one don't find anything wrong with the post you linked, but hey, your thread.

Anyway, as it as been pointed before, women's fear of being raped in the street is in some way irrational, as most rape happens with people you know. I get how going across the street would alleviate that fear, but should we? Wouldn't it be best to simply be nice and polite and show that you don't have to fear men?

For example, lots of people got an irrational fear of blacks. Would you advise blacks to cross the street so as not to frighten whites?

Pages: 1 ... 539 540 [541] 542 543 ... 759