Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 544 545 [546] 547 548 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247339 times)

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #8175 on: February 27, 2014, 01:58:40 am »

Borowitz is basically the Onion, only hosted by The New Yorker and written by one dude.
That dude needs a raise

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #8176 on: March 09, 2014, 12:22:00 pm »

Borowitz is basically the Onion, only hosted by The New Yorker and written by one dude.
That dude needs a raise

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8177 on: July 08, 2014, 05:59:38 am »

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/07/07/leak-at-fukushima-nuclear-plant-threatens-dangerous-meltdown/

Panic, panic, everyone.

FYI, it almost complete nonsense, as you suspect from fox.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8178 on: July 08, 2014, 06:06:30 am »

There is something really cool about a potential fukushima meltdown is that because of the way thermohaline circulation and ocean currents mix water, you wouldn't get an even spread of radioactive water [reducing the severity for individuals affected], you would get these concentrated moving islands of radioactive water that would kill everything that sails or swims through it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8179 on: July 08, 2014, 06:21:25 am »

There has been a meltdown already(actually, probably 3 of them), no islands of radioactvity yet. Remember, radioactivity really doesn't penetrate far in water, and you need massive amounts of released materials to get acute radiation poisoning.

The problem with the article is that fox can't tell the difference between a spent fuel pond and a reactor. I think. Honestly, who believes that a reactor will melt down at 65 degrees celsius?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8180 on: July 08, 2014, 06:34:22 am »

There has been a meltdown already(actually, probably 3 of them), no islands of radioactvity yet. Remember, radioactivity really doesn't penetrate far in water, and you need massive amounts of released materials to get acute radiation poisoning.
I mean the kind of meltdown that means the Eastern coast of America is screwed. You don't need the radiation to penetrate the water, in fact that just makes things worse as anything covered in the stuff, surrounded by the stuff or has drank the stuff [especially the latter] is completely stuffed because they'll absorb all that alpha and beta radiation.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8181 on: July 08, 2014, 10:43:51 am »

It just pisses me off how overblown Fukushima is.

Like seriously, there's already a LOT more radiation in fish just from things like potassium and such already in their system, than anything they found in fishes post-Fukushima. It's not the radiation that'll kill ya, it's the mercury :I

(Also reminds me of that new conspirifad, aqua-trails. Like chem-trails, but in the OCEAN! :D)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8182 on: July 08, 2014, 10:56:03 am »

Aqua trails? Not ocean currents, aqua trails?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8183 on: July 08, 2014, 10:58:50 am »

Or at least that's what the Japanese government wants you to think~
Love, scriver~

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8184 on: July 08, 2014, 10:59:32 am »

Or at least that's what the Japanese government wants you to think~
Love, scriver~

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8185 on: July 08, 2014, 11:02:57 am »

Yeah, aqua-trails. They think that there are vessels leaking out chemicals in the water on purpose, and use things like "See, it's brown there!" or "That wake isn't natural!" or "That water is taking too long to settle!"
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8186 on: July 08, 2014, 11:12:44 am »

Yeah, aqua-trails. They think that there are vessels leaking out chemicals in the water on purpose, and use things like "See, it's brown there!" or "That wake isn't natural!" or "That water is taking too long to settle!"
They are probably right then. There are a lot of illegal chemical dumps into the ocean from all across the world and you get some really bad situations with things like dead zones where the water literally becomes brown due to chemical runoff so bad that everything except jellyfish dies there. Most leaks will be deliberate. Just, probably not government sponsored, unless you're China or Italy.

*EDIT
And if you think hard about it, a lot of the times humans can get good at being intuitive about when something is just plain wrong. Whilst perhaps not 'unnatural,' definitely unusual, like a landward breeze during summer at the coastline or walking over a river and there being no wind. Or the water being brown. They may have no idea what they're talking about beyond the basics of experience, but at least they can flag when something is possibly awful.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 11:16:40 am by Loud Whispers »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8187 on: July 08, 2014, 12:00:34 pm »

Oh, I have no doubt that chemicals leak from ships. Rust, poor maintenance, etc. Even if that were stellar perfect, there's still run-off pollution in, say, China, hitching a ride on the hill, and leaking all the way to America.

But they're saying it's a method to make our children dumb via mercury poisoning so they don't cause a ruckus and revolt as the New World Order comes around :V

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8188 on: July 08, 2014, 12:07:19 pm »

Oh, I have no doubt that chemicals leak from ships. Rust, poor maintenance, etc. Even if that were stellar perfect, there's still run-off pollution in, say, China, hitching a ride on the hill, and leaking all the way to America.

But they're saying it's a method to make our children dumb via mercury poisoning so they don't cause a ruckus and revolt as the New World Order comes around :V
I don't mean accidental leaking, I mean just straight up chemical dumping. Also there's facebook and mcdonalds to keep children placated for the NWO, why are they so worried about gold ol' mercury? What's wrong with cinnabar and all cinnabar derived products?

In any case,
Only they're not aqua trails, but a trail of mystery solution ranging from the most common (bilge water) to the mafia's favourite (rubbish and waste chemicals) to China (anything goes). It all boils down to money.

Never forget Descan, this decade has proven all but the most outlandish conspiracies true. All we have left to do is find out why the world ended at 2012 before it's too late.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8189 on: July 28, 2014, 03:10:53 pm »

http://www.globalcalculator.org/

An interactive IEA projection system that allows you to create your own solutions for energy in the next 50 year.
Pages: 1 ... 544 545 [546] 547 548 ... 759