Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 655 656 [657] 658 659 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247310 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #9840 on: April 04, 2015, 05:27:55 pm »

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 07:17:30 pm by penguinofhonor »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9841 on: April 14, 2015, 08:11:37 pm »

For once, I'm dropping in here to spread word of a good deed

CEO sets a minimum wage of $70,000 for everyone in his company

It's a fairly small company, but still...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9842 on: April 14, 2015, 08:15:46 pm »

Holy crap. I dig this guy.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9843 on: April 14, 2015, 08:21:08 pm »

I wonder how many tens of thousands of job applications are going to flood in on him now.  My own desire to run away to Washington grows daily.

Although this bit really underlines how disconnected the rich are from everyone else.

The New York Times ran a story on April 13 about how Price, the founder and CEO of Gravity Payments, read a research paper arguing that people who make less than $70,000 can truly become happier by earning more money.

"My people would be happier if I paid them just enough to live reasonably comfortably and worry free?  Why didn't anyone tell me this before!"
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9844 on: April 14, 2015, 08:27:27 pm »

The interesting part is that he really did respond to it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9845 on: April 14, 2015, 08:30:27 pm »

I like this guy. I like this guy a lot. I wish the company were publicly traded, so I could give them money as a sign of approval. Failing that, well-wishing emails have been dispatched!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9846 on: April 14, 2015, 08:34:08 pm »

The interesting part is that he really did respond to it.

It is interesting.  I mean... do the people in charge of businesses seriously not think of this?  Is it just a matter of saying please and explaining that it would genuinely help us out?  I would think all the fucking protests would communicate that there is a need... or maybe this guy just didn't believe it until it was presented to him as research?

Edit:

Ok... I guess I didn't read into it enough.  The guy is young.  Two years younger than me.  Looks to me like he hadn't been in his position of privilege for all that long.  In his case, it just took a little time to sink in how far he'd come, and that he was in a position to do something like this.  Very awesome.  Will follow Bauglir's lead and send a positive e-mail.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 08:44:00 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9847 on: April 14, 2015, 08:41:35 pm »

or maybe this guy just didn't believe it until it was presented to him as research?

I think it's this. People have moved to "It's true if Science" and, because of the particular nature of the scientific community--usually, "It's true Only If Science." People in marginalized groups are having this problem a hell of a lot right now, because when they say something it's "anecdotal evidence" which people are literally being trained to disbelieve.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9848 on: April 14, 2015, 08:45:19 pm »

Probably because once you buy into anecdotal evidence you can believe anything.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9849 on: April 14, 2015, 08:47:44 pm »

Make you wonder how much grease they had to buy for those mountainsides...

Man, you don't need to unconditionally accept all anecdotal evidence, nor do you need to generalize it beyond its scope, in order to make it a useful component of decisionmaking.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9850 on: April 14, 2015, 08:51:42 pm »

Yes, but it also means that people are literally losing their common sense and their trust of other people. The community is falling apart via skepticism and assumption that other people are bullshitting you. There are times when the Absolute Truth matters, and times when that matters less.

Man, you don't need to unconditionally accept all anecdotal evidence, nor do you need to generalize it beyond its scope, in order to make it a useful component of decisionmaking.

Exactly. I feel like there's this goal to get all of humanity on the same Received Knowledge From Scientific Databank page, and it seems so toxic, so anti-diversity (and therefore unstable), and so ... honestly, crushing of people who have other ways of thinking about anything when those ways usually aren't harmful. Received scientific knowledge is a piece, not everything.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9851 on: April 14, 2015, 08:53:23 pm »

Accepting anecdotal evidence in this matter is actually an insanely bad idea because it benefits people arguing against progressive policies.  Does the minimum wage need to be increased?  No, here's a guy who's on minimum wage and he has a flatscreen TV!  Do we need welfare for the disabled and unemployed?  No, here's a guy who's on welfare and he's a super lazy and bad person!  Etc.  If you stick to actual statistics regarding how many people are in poverty and studies on how that poverty affects people then you'll be on much safer ground.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9852 on: April 14, 2015, 08:53:38 pm »

A statistic is just a collection of anecdotes, unless I'm horribly misunderstanding something.  I mean I understand why anecdotes shouldn't be taken at face value, but when a large number of people present the same anecdote, it should be taken a bit more seriously.  It's not a huge logical leap to see a huge crowd of people in the street crying in unison that they're poor and unhappy about it as equivalent to a scientific study revealing that being poor makes people unhappy.

Accepting anecdotal evidence in this matter is actually an insanely bad idea because it benefits people arguing against progressive policies.  Does the minimum wage need to be increased?  No, here's a guy who's on minimum wage and he has a flatscreen TV!  Do we need welfare for the disabled and unemployed?  No, here's a guy who's on welfare and he's a super lazy and bad person!  Etc.  If you stick to actual statistics regarding how many people are in poverty and studies on how that poverty affects people then you'll be on much safer ground.

This is a criticism of cherry-picking/confirmation bias, not accepting anecdotes.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 08:55:45 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9853 on: April 14, 2015, 08:56:25 pm »

Yes, but it also means that people are literally losing their common sense and their trust of other people. The community is falling apart via skepticism and assumption that other people are bullshitting you. There are times when the Absolute Truth matters, and times when that matters less.
Our common sense is bad and the "community" isn't exactly in a good position. You can try to bias away by linking truth to totalitarianism, but the fact of the matter is that we live in reality.
Exactly. I feel like there's this goal to get all of humanity on the same Received Knowledge From Scientific Databank page, and it seems so toxic, so anti-diversity (and therefore unstable), and so ... honestly, crushing of people who have other ways of thinking about anything when those ways usually aren't harmful. Received scientific knowledge is a piece, not everything.
If all humanity accepted empiricism and rationalism our problems would be much less horiffic. Anything lost in that transition was not worth preserving. There is no diversity in objective matters.
No Gods, No Masters.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9854 on: April 14, 2015, 08:58:57 pm »

You're horribly misunderstanding something. Statistics are gathered using a bunch of rules to eliminate bias that a simple "collection of anecdotes" won't really convey.

I could get a collection of anecdotes that says that every single person in America is actually a white libertarian between ages 18-25 and nobody would accept that as a proper result because it's demonstrably false.

Common sense is pretty much a meaningless phrase in general...
Pages: 1 ... 655 656 [657] 658 659 ... 759