Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 660 661 [662] 663 664 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247161 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #9915 on: April 20, 2015, 11:13:28 pm »

Quote from: aenri link=topic=103213.msg6177371#msg6177371

School should be apolitical. People who are in uproar about this are fuckin' hypocrites, they would be the first to demand it removed if the shirt said ku klux klan.
I know right? We really need to get this idea that women can be anywhere other than the kitchen out of our schools so it can be a neutral environment for learning! But no seriously, that's what you're saying here.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 01:46:51 am by alway »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9916 on: April 20, 2015, 11:25:35 pm »

Eeeeeeee, just to be clear, I am not saying that or anything else against women or anybody. Jesus, that's another reason I don't like being quoted. I was merely pointing out what the school did/pointing out the article to discuss it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 11:28:49 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9917 on: April 20, 2015, 11:29:27 pm »

I think it's silly to expect schools to be progressive when they're the bastion of indoctrination, conservatism, and backwaterism.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9918 on: April 21, 2015, 12:28:20 am »

FYI, Truean, I think alway was responding to aenri, not you.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9919 on: April 21, 2015, 12:32:14 am »

Students should be encouraged to be political, it's good for society.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9920 on: April 21, 2015, 01:51:16 am »

Truean, out of curiosity, why do you hate being quoted so much?

Also, why is flannel supposed to be anti-gay? To me, it evokes Brokeback Mountain more than anything else.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9921 on: April 21, 2015, 02:49:03 am »

The scariest part of Michele Bachmann is the idea of someone who believes that Rapture is nigh, was running for President of the United States and could have had their finger on the nuclear launch button.

There's also a very odd form of American Exceptionalism at work in Michele Bachmann's view that because of America being unfaithful, God will bring down the Rapture and destroy the whole world. You'd at least think God would spare Russia if it's gay rights making God angry ...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 02:55:27 am by Reelya »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9922 on: April 21, 2015, 03:09:37 am »

Truean, out of curiosity, why do you hate being quoted so much?
Basically lawyer + occasionally cleans up things so that they can't be pulled out of context to be used against her by vengeful people. She can always go back and edit her own posts to remove anything that might be used that way, but can't edit quotes of her from other people.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #9923 on: April 21, 2015, 03:47:27 am »

The issue though, is where is the line drawn at what is 'acceptable' and what is not?

"This?"

Quote from: Myself
This?

"This?"

"Uxie asked what sort of quote was acceptable." < - Or something like that?

The issue I see is that all forms of referencing what someone else has said, in effect, is essentially the same as quoting them. Quoting is just more precise because it is direct rather than an indication.

Interesting to note is that it is essentially useless for preventing vengeful people from finding a bad thing to quote if they truly wish to, due to the existence of archival sites (admittedly most people wouldn't bother.)

It's probably also worth taking into account the fact that quotes can be easily fabricated from scratch. I can link to an edited post of yours and make it seem like you've said anything at all (if people assume the quote was before the edit took place). I mean, in this case it's obviously me, UXLZ, and not i2amroy speaking... But if I wrote in a way that was similar enough to his tone... Who would ever know? Of course, you can compare the date of the post containing the quote to the time of edit, but even then it can be claimed that the quote was saved somewhere for later, or the person wrote the post but didn't get around to posting it until later, and so on. Maybe there's some kind of legal thing I'm unaware of, but from a normal perspective it seems pointless.

If it's personal preference that's fine, I'm just curious as to the exact logic and reasons why. Would you be able to explain it to me Truean (bold to be more noticeable not for emphasis), either here or in a PM if that's fine with you?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 03:50:21 am by UXLZ »
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9924 on: April 21, 2015, 04:38:17 am »

This seem to have become the standard practice when responding to Truean's posts. Otherwise just use a @Truean at the start of the response so they can see who it is directed to.
Love, scriver~

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #9925 on: April 21, 2015, 04:49:10 am »

I see, thank you. I'll remember that for if responding to them in the future. Though really, the main thing I'm curious about is the logic and reason behind hating being quoted so much. Something I've asked Truean to talk to me about in PM should they be willing to oblige. Apologies for the derail.

There seems to have been a lot of corruption recently in Australian universities with regards to students recruited over seas (particularly from China). Anything like that going on anywhere else in the world?
The circle is complete.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9926 on: April 21, 2015, 08:14:39 am »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 10:29:31 am by penguinofhonor »

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #9927 on: April 21, 2015, 06:54:01 pm »

@penguinofhonour

And I said that doesn't make sense because quotes can easily be fabricated. All you need is an edit marker. Anyone particularly vengeful isn't going to be too honorable to not do that, if they can't find something bad they'll make it. There's got to be reasons beyond that, maybe some specific legal thing I don' have knowledge of.

Anyway, offtracking aside, what are the current progressive events that I've probably missed?
The circle is complete.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9928 on: April 22, 2015, 08:25:33 am »

*Once again with the please no quoting thing*

Yeah, here's the thing, I've explained the no quoting request before multiple times. It did not end well, and I got my email inbox swarmed with hate mail and people purposefully targeting me, among other things.

A.) I'm transgender in a fairly conservative area of the country. Getting outted means discrimination, and very possibly violence and maybe death. Or there's that and disownment along with the murder as a thing that might happen. Transgender people tend to get beaten up or dead here, a lot, sadly.

B.) I've been blackballed from working for about two years by a [redacted] who just got convictions for [redacted], because I wouldn't do illegal things like give 10% of all my income.... If I did what they wanted, it would've basically been buying [redacted] and I'd be in prison, etc. It ruined my life. Imagine your boss is super powerful, now imagine he says you'll never work anywhere ever again unless you give him kickbacks.... Yeah. They don't like it when you turn them in and actively work against you for it. No, I don't wanna talk about it more until he's sentenced and his appeal time limit is done.

C.) The job thing is a concern but nowhere near as big of one as the two previous points. That said, I wish I would've never said anything here (I was trying to talk somebody out of making a serious mistake at the time and hurting themselves and others), because it seems to invite everybody who is pissed off to demand I defend whatever policy or law they don't like. Oddly, sometimes I don't like [insert thing here] either, but they don't wanna listen, and I've actually tried to get certain laws changed that weren't fair and paid a very heavy and expensive price for not being corrupt/turning in others who were.

D.) As I've said, it's sad that people are just comfortable posting anything and everything, because it's real that it can be used against you. There are people who do nothing but that and they are banking on you becoming ok with and feeling natural about posting everything and anything online. There is a movement starting for lawyers to vigorously search opposing parties' social and online media for any possible clue to anything, and it's quite scary and increasingly well funded. Do you really want that one thing you posted when you were 16 on some forgotten site to be taken out of context and held over your head forever? Think about all those posters on all those comment threads saying curse words and sometimes unprintable things, gold mine for people looking to hold it over you for no good reason.

This isn't me being "bossy" (I have no idea why I got called that among other unprintable names). This isn't me telling people what to do or being paranoid. I was just trying to inform people of something that would benefit them. I didn't cause it and I don't approve of it. My god, the last time I did it I almost had to leave and never come back because of the sheer amount of hate (e)mail I got. Shooting the messenger doesn't help and I feel I've still got several arrows in my back....
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 07:17:15 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9929 on: April 22, 2015, 08:39:55 am »

Preventing other people from quoting you doesn't stop any of those things from happening though.  Those are all reasonable arguments for being careful about what you post online, but I don't appreciate the condescending tone when the solution you're suggesting simply does not work.
Pages: 1 ... 660 661 [662] 663 664 ... 759