Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 675 676 [677] 678 679 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247384 times)

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #10140 on: June 07, 2015, 06:22:31 am »

Actually, I think Hitler and the Nazis understood that quite well. They wanted their people to strive towards the ideal and help one another, and they wanted other cultures and races to do the same in their own countries, and not in Germany. Hitler and Leon Degrelle have certainly said as much.
This is patently wrong in several ways:
[...]
2) The entire Nazi ideology was a condensation of everything that Nietzsche considered base and detestable: It was reactive*, vulgar, gregarious**, slavish, and fueled by poisonous ressentiment – a picture-perfect example of butt-hurt "slaves" (Germans) rebelling against successful "priests" (Jews).
[...]
** How could one possibly reconcile autonomous master-morality with a morality of the masses? – that's prima facie wrong.[/sub]
Especially that one. The whole idea of having a collective of Übermenschen is completely ridiculous if you look at what Nietzsche thought an Übermensch should be. For an Übermensch there just is no collective.

I feel physical pain every time people act like if you read Mein Kampf, you're literally Hitler.

I mean, okay, according to possibly unreliable online anecdotes, the book is kinda shippy in modern day standard, but just reading Hitler's manifesto isn't going to turn you into a Nazi. It's not the Necronomicon.
There was this guy in Germany - a comedian, and Turkish even, I believe - who went around doing public readings of Mein Kampf. As part of his routine, but also separately in schools and such. And apparently one of the intended consequences was for the audience to realize that the book is a) badly written and b) horribly boring. It was demystification at its best.
Yeah, I heard of that one. Sadly I didn't hear it when I had the chance. Now I am just too lazy to care enough to read it or listen to someone else reading it.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10141 on: June 07, 2015, 01:38:54 pm »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10142 on: June 07, 2015, 07:08:52 pm »

DOHOHOHOHOHO~

I remember once, where an Anon joked that California and New York were in a race to be the most progressively authoritarian and progressive, so hard, that the only hope for the rest of the world was that both states detached from the USA and sunk beneath the ocean. The jokes usually revolved around the police making it illegal for you to film the police while they sprayed you with bullets and all that jazz (which is unfortunately, now true - ironically however, years after the jokes, California passed a law protecting people who filmed police), but the keks in reality prove it too stronk and even worse than bants.

Don't call it a grave

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10143 on: June 07, 2015, 07:12:28 pm »

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2015/06/07/Sword-wielding-robot-beats-Japanese-master-samurai/2991433692865/

We're pretty much screwed, and they're clapping like it's good. We're actually teaching them how to fight, essentially, or leaning in that direction. I don't understand anything. The world I thought I knew is gone, and it's only going to get worse.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10144 on: June 07, 2015, 07:13:44 pm »

gorillion folded nipponbot will save new york

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10145 on: June 07, 2015, 07:16:10 pm »

-quote removed-

Meh... we have many more imminent worries than robot rebellion.  I thought that video was neat.  The cinematic presentation, especially.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 07:46:24 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10146 on: June 07, 2015, 07:21:42 pm »

i,  for one, welcome our new fruit slicing overlords

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #10147 on: June 07, 2015, 07:26:23 pm »

This actually looks pretty cool, and I trust that in a world with guns in it swordfighting will probably not be what kills us. Although possibly robot soldiers is what it would take to make it competitive if, for some reason, teaching them to use guns is off the table.

shit sorry i suck
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 08:31:45 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10148 on: June 07, 2015, 07:41:01 pm »

what's with all the truean quoting

anyway

Clearing your browser history is a prosecutable offence

...if you are currently under federal investigation

hooray editorializing

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10149 on: June 07, 2015, 07:41:11 pm »

O, I'm aware that the real threat will ome from unmanned drones with guns on them. Cheaper than human officers, and when they shoot someone, it's a "software malfuntion." No pesky homiide trials. And remember, it's not murder; it's an industrial accident. We're being replaced. All this right wing talk of "hard work" and "bootstraps" won't matter when the robots beome more ost effetive than third world slave labor minus the shipping costs and PR problems.

It will be called productivity and we will be called pathetic. Wonderful.

Meanwhile we might be srewed over by other things long before that point, so there's that to look forward to. Yaaaaaay.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10150 on: June 07, 2015, 07:59:24 pm »

I can't help but froth with rage just a little bit every time the subject of automation eliminating the need for work is brought up in a negative context.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10151 on: June 07, 2015, 09:34:07 pm »

It is negative unless we can fix the whole "You need to work in order to not starve," problem.

Once we get rid of the need for people to do make-work in order to deserve life, then it'll be positive in all respects. As it is, it's just most respects. :V
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10152 on: June 07, 2015, 09:38:22 pm »

And that is what makes me froth.  It's so fucking stupid!  The moment you hit the very idea that the lack of a negative thing that we are actively working to eliminate also makes the system cease to function should also be the moment it is drastically re-evaluated.  That this is not happening in any meaningful fashion makes me froth.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10153 on: June 07, 2015, 10:46:51 pm »

I feel physical pain every time people act like if you read Mein Kampf, you're literally Hitler.

I mean, okay, according to possibly unreliable online anecdotes, the book is kinda shippy in modern day standard, but just reading Hitler's manifesto isn't going to turn you into a Nazi. It's not the Necronomicon.
There was this guy in Germany - a comedian, and Turkish even, I believe - who went around doing public readings of Mein Kampf. As part of his routine, but also separately in schools and such. And apparently one of the intended consequences was for the audience to realize that the book is a) badly written and b) horribly boring. It was demystification at its best.
Yeah, that's the point I was making. Why can't we read Mein Kampf ironically instead of demonizing people who read it?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10154 on: June 07, 2015, 10:56:30 pm »

Either you're not using ironically correctly, or you're being too internet.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 675 676 [677] 678 679 ... 759