Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: ‼Ω‼ ‼¶‼ Dwarf Chocolate Mod .34.11 (Minecarts and Cooldowns) ‼#‼ ‼Π‼  (Read 73163 times)

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile

Dwarf Chocolate
Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

The mission of Dwarf Chocolate is to add a large amount of content (mythological and actual creatures, plants, tools, metals and minerals) intended to fit in naturally with the default content of DF.  Changes are implemented in style and format similar to the default, and there are very few changes to the original raw files, in order to ensure smoother updates and better compatibility with other mods.

Features:

- Hundreds of real-world plants and animals, and dozens of mythological monsters
- Additional entities for sentient races, with ethics and power structures based on real-world cultures
- New interactions, terrain effects, and magical secrets
- Extra lines of dialogue, artwork descriptors and languages
- Metals, minerals and other materials from the natural world
- New types of item displays, workshops, weapons, clothing, prepared meals, and other miscellaneous crafts
- New tools and creative reactions for Adventure mode - smithing, skinning and more

Dwarf Chocolate includes up-to-date versions of Flora and Fauna and the Speech Expansion mod.
The Wizard Tower mod is now part of Dwarf Chocolate and can be found in the /extras folder.

Graphics are supported, courtesy of Meph and his graciously-provided MasterworkDF graphics pack, included in the mod archive.

Download Linkhttp://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5919

Installation:  Extract the .zip file to a fresh Dwarf Fortress folder.  Overwrite the pre-existing files.

* * Remember to re-install Dwarf Chocolate if you update the copy of Dwarf Fortress running it!
     Be careful installing the mod over incompatible versions of DF - check the version numbers first.
   If you install any other mods over Dwarf Chocolate (like graphics packs), check the compatibility notes below. * *

Compatibility Notes:  This mod conflicts with other mods that change the following files:
            - c_variation_default.txt (some added creatures will break if certain variations go missing)
            - inorganic_mineral.txt (Adventurer ore smelting will fail to work)
            - material_template_default.txt (Many custom reactions in adventurer mode will break)
            - entity_default.txt (standard dwarves and other default races won't use new buildings/reactions)
            - plant_standard.txt (breaks adventurer reactions involving default plants)

Uninstalling:  Dwarf Chocolate overwrites vanilla files, and uninstalling requires re-installing DF raws.
            This is why a separate folder is recommended, but changes to vanilla files are listed in Dwarf Chocolate Changes.txt.

The 14th century tech limit is largely adhered to here - there are many included reactions that dwarves simply cannot use without additional modding.
For gunpowder, rocketry and more, check out Jake's Black Powder Firearms for DC.

Notes:

- Dwarves can use a few metals outside of historic human limitations of the 14th century:

More documentation will be included (someday), but the mod should be easy to navigate if you know how to play Dwarf Fortress.  This mod adds challenge as well as opportunity, and is not intended for players who are unfamiliar with the game.  Good and Savage regions, along with the deeper caverns, are much more dangerous places thanks to new monsters.  The new secrets are powerful, whether they are used by the player or by their foes

A full list of the included Flora and Fauna is available.

Spoiler: Dealing with Magic (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Screenshots (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: List of Basic Changes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: List of Added Items (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: List of Interactions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: List of Secrets (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Known Issues (click to show/hide)

Please post if you have any questions, comments or bugs to report!  I'll be keeping this up-to-date as time allows.

------------------------
-- Special Thanks  To --
------------------------

The Adams brothers for Dwarf Fortress and all that goes with it,
Deon for encouragement and for creating the wizard tiles for WT,
Mike Mayday for his tileset, which I used as a base to learn and make graphics,
Warlord255 for the bonfire mod which was a base for the fire,
Adultratedhydra and forsaken1111 for suggestions used for golems and homunculi,
kaypy for the Display Case and Lazureus for the Crematory,
D_E for bringing [SKILL_LEARN_RATE] to my attention,
Rask for reporting arena mode, wand testing and other problems,
forsaken1111 for the deflecting orb and numerous other suggestions,
OrionKale for finding and helping correct a number of post .25 issues,
Putnam for bringing the interaction examples to my attention,
Alkhemia, Kaplahworm, Mechanist and trees for early bug-reporting stuff I missed,
The posters in the Spellbook thread for their contributions to science,
AdeleneDawner for extremely thorough and helpful bug reporting for FF,
Chariot for an invaluable collection of mods,
Alkyon for a substantial redistribution of underground flora,
wp for finding missing manticore speech and bracket checking,
Jake for finding plant product redundancies,
Meph for helping balance DC and providing the MasterworkDF graphics pack,
Captain Crazy for pointing out Crematory errors,
nonobots for sizing up giant elephants and helping clean some seeds (and for the Nightmare tip),
The contributors of the DF Wiki, especially for the building and reaction tokens,
People who have given feedback, and anyone who likes this mod,

Thank you all very much!

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 10:06:59 am by SethCreiyd »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: *Dwarf Chocolate .34* Expansion Mod (for DF 32.05) - Grand Release!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 02:45:00 am »

Hey I'm in a credits!

:o

Will try this out!

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 03:18:06 am »

sounds amazing!
can peole use some off the features in there mods.
downloading now

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 07:48:57 am »

Downloading now   :D

Edit: The make cloth reaction in adventure mode make an ungodly amount of cloth
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 09:18:55 am by Alkhemia »
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: *Dwarf Chocolate .34b* Expansion Mod (for DF 34.05) - Grand Release!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 11:28:59 am »

Version 34b is up with some fixes for the adventurer reactions, namely leather, books and cloth.  I deleted and replaced the old file listing since it was two years old and pretty dated.

Hey I'm in a credits!

:o

Will try this out!

Heh, I carried over the Special Thanks from Wizard Tower since this is in the same family of work.  I hope you enjoy this one.

sounds amazing!
can peole use some off the features in there mods.
downloading now

Let me know how it goes.  I don't have a problem with others using my stuff if the documentation is included, and credit would be polite.

Downloading now   :D

Edit: The make cloth reaction in adventure mode make an ungodly amount of cloth

I always overlook those product dimensions  -_-  I hopefully fixed that along with the leather stuff - thread/cloth reagents now have [DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT] and the PRODUCT_DIMENSION for cloth and thread products was set to 1 until I get a chance to test out more correct dimensions.

The update is save compatible, but my adventurer's stuck in a desert and hasn't found thread yet, so please let me know if there are any other issues.

Also corrected is the embarrassing version number typo in the title.  Still haven't learned not to post in the wee hours.

EDIT:  Re-uploaded the file, just a quick fix for the "make stone craftS" typo that snuck in there.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 12:08:27 pm by SethCreiyd »

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 03:45:52 pm »

I notice among the adventurer reactions you've got the ability to make bricks and blocks. what will those be used for? or are they for something planned in the future?
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 07:24:02 pm »

A crucible needs three fire-safe blocks to make, that's about it for now.  It seems that blocks are more effective missiles than rocks, so you could also make an adventurer specialize in throwing bricks or something.  For DF hackers it gives a bonus of being able to mass produce blocks with your adventurer before switching to Fortress Mode to build a house with your newly-skillled mason.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 08:46:00 pm »

heh, they do indeed make great projectiles. I just spent a happy half our crushing horseshoe crabs and over sized sparrows with thrown stone blocks before being chased and stung to death by giant wasps. I think Ill use this mod for my adventure mode chars from now on.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 12:14:37 am »

Looks delicious. All them spells. I play mages in my games and I can't wait to try them out.

How are they learned? Spoilers, I know, but still.

PS I suggest a more eye catching name for the thread. I almost skipped over looking at it until I found it linked in your Wizard Tower mod which I throughly enjoyed.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 02:20:40 am by Poot »

Mechanist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 06:56:25 am »

most awesome thing i've seen since adv mode exist
seconded for change the name of the thread
and motion for sticky

Wartom

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 11:00:32 am »

None of the "practice dodging" or "hop from side to side" actions seem to actually train any stats at all.

And I cant find any stats called "Intimidation" or "Concentration" for example.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 11:03:59 am by Wartom »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 11:20:39 am »

None of the "practice dodging" or "hop from side to side" actions seem to actually train any stats at all.

stats are only trained when a product is made, so maybe make those pratice reactions require a small stone and make a small stone?

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile

Hmm, not very well-versed in eye catching...  How's this?  Too much?

most awesome thing i've seen since adv mode exist
seconded for change the name of the thread
and motion for sticky

Looks delicious. All them spells. I play mages in my games and I can't wait to try them out.

How are they learned? Spoilers, I know, but still.

PS I suggest a more eye catching name for the thread. I almost skipped over looking at it until I found it linked in your Wizard Tower mod which I throughly enjoyed.

Thank you both.  You can start adventurer mode as a Wizard outsider, which will give you access to spells right away, but you won't be able to learn secrets later.  An adventurer of a mundane race can learn secrets by reading the books or the slabs, the way the Necromancer secrets work in standard DF, but most of the new secrets and their holders are found in keeps and such rather than Towers.  As for finding them, the surest way is to check out the slabs in Legends mode and try to follow their trail.

stats are only trained when a product is made, so maybe make those pratice reactions require a small stone and make a small stone?

I'm not sure if it's a bug or intended, that.  First I'm going to try a blank product and see if that does anything.  If not, the stone thing is a good idea for weapon practice.  I'm thinking of making a Sweat Man made of a custom generic 'sweat' material.  The physically exerting practice reactions could produce a glob of sweat.  A Sound Man could be developed made of an insubstantial material derived from the energy template, and that could be produced for speaking.  Which leaves writing in the dust, tracking, and other such things, I may just leave those as-is for flavor and stick them at the bottom, the skills aren't really useful for anything yet.

I'll try and include a workaround with the next update.  I'm working on the clothmaking reaction, right now it doesn't read the plant material right and just makes a generic 'cloth' item.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile

Also your leather reaction would not take the dingo leather I made I'll check in the new version if it the same.

Edit: it works
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 12:16:33 pm by Alkhemia »
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile

Leather reactions should be fixed, I recently made a hill titan leather backpack.

Word to the wise, this:
   [PRODUCT:100:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
crashes the game instantly.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11