Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you think about the Mod Manager? (3 max)

I like the Slap Graphics and how I can pick out any pack that is supported
I like the Settings, change aspects of the mod at will
I like the Tileset Changer
Slap Graphics could use some more work
Not enough settings (if so, what?)
Tileset changer has some flaws (suggestions)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: [MAJOR]: <)(Regeneration: Forced Evolution)(> V1.5 out 14/08/13  (Read 70616 times)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution

Credits:
Spoiler: Where credit is due (click to show/hide)

Regeneration
Forced Evolution

alters all of standard files, so anything that requires any vanilla file to be
altered will remove features or make RFE Unstable.
Every update to regen the 'raw' foulder should be cleared out, as files get
constantly re-organized. So it's possible for dupe raws. Which is Bad

My Mod Manager is included, this program lets
you apply your desired Graphic Pack anytime you like.
Also works as a backup in case you tried to alter
some files and managed to break it, just
run your graphic back again to refresh
the "raw/objects" foulder

<*Details*>
Regeneration adds in a new civs, and drastically changes how DF is played. Being able to play as three different races:
the Humans in which you start out building a surface village and work your way to the magical science of creating life from essence.
the Dwarves as you expect to play vanilla DF but now have a more expanded Industry and can create clockwork automatons late game.
and the Kobolds play as the dog-like skittish thieves as you always wanted, assemble your tribe, and survive.

Most creatures no longer die from a bruised brain as I included a three-part-brain, so to kill someone you gotta pulp their bone case.
Magic is in and most races use it to an extent, some are better with magic then others. Such as humans, they have mastered the art of magic.
Unarmed combat is slightly more flavorful now that there is back hands, elbow smashes, and knee bashes. (also planning on adding in martial arts)
The caverns are more dangerous now that there are two extra cave civs that can ambush and siege (vanilla cave tribes can too), so don't get too comfy down there.
A few cave creatures can now go into stealth mode (most water based predators can do this in the water) so expect cave beasties to be jumping out at you.
A stronger metal known as Mithril can be traded for from the elves (elves in Regen are not your standard hippies, think LoTR)
Here is a List of civs:

Friendly Playable Playable but everyone hates you Hostile Hostile but live in Caves

High Elves (these guys trade mithril)
Humans (Playable and trade buddies)
Dwarves (Playable and trade buddies)
Kobolds (Playable, Hard Mode, no allies)
Unholy (Evil, Late Game, Undead)
Exiled Elves (Evil, Bad High Elves)
Vashta Nerada (Goblins, Orcs, Trolls, Evil)
Standard Animal People (Caves)
Troglodytes (Cave, like goblins)
Gremlins (Cave, Like Kobolds)

Regen also has some niffty things called "resource buildings" these include the Mineshaft and Quarry the term "resource" is double sided, it takes tools to use these
and the tools break making using them more of a "I need this material, and I need it now" other then a casual use building.
Also humans and dwarves have a building called "screw pump well" with this you can get water anywhere you want, it gives you the ability
to pump water into buckets for hospital use or into barrels for drinking, dwarves can also use this to fill a steam trains cargo bay with water to have it dump it
creating a 7/7 tile of water allowing you to fill your own ponds and legoons.

But that's not it, many industries have been expanded on. Dwarves can use an Advanced Furnace to batch smelt ores,
but they can build a Grinder to make the ore more fine, which allows for more products. Humans can make more glass
items with the advanced glass furnace, and both can use the Lumberyard which allows for better tree processing and
extra wooden items. Dwarves also get the Brewery, which allows them to make better booze that sells very well or can
be drank for a bonus effect.

<*Download*>
Files
Description
Manager Only (smaller DL)
Pre-Packed (larger DL but just need
to unrar and play)

<*Wiki*>
    Currently under construction, but a good deal of info is in.
    Need help running a new building? Go here.
    Features is a good place to start on that page,
    as it links to everything that may interest you.

<*Recommended Tilesets*>
If there are any other good tilesets feel free to post there link here
<*Helpful things*>
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

<*Features*>
<*Change Log*>

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 10:20:56 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
Re: <)(Regeneration: Forced Evolution)(> Alpha 2
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 04:40:19 pm »

=)
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 09:28:11 pm »

Skeletons as a civilization? Wouldn't that conflict with necromancers? Not just lore-wise, but technical issues might arise, too.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 09:41:15 pm »

I thought about that, As the old Regen had Zombies and Skeletons. Then along came secrets and interactions and vanilla Necromancers, then I was like "Well that sucks" but then I thought why not make Liches? Lore-Wise, Liches are Necromancers that sought out pure immortality (no need to eat, drink, or sleep, etc..) and have mastered a wide range of spells. Since I needed a endgame creature that will make even the most strongest fortress scared, I decided to keep Skeletons. They can bleed to death still but it's very hard to do that, as hitting them turns their bones to dust (which leaves dusting because that is their blood)

Also technical isses? I know skeletons are or at least should be unraisable. So no need to worry about an evil biome or pesky necromancer bringing skeletons back to life. The rare and powerful lich caste needs more work atm. Right now it's basically a god, which is scary.

They are easy to remove as their entity lives in "entity_regen" past trogs and gremlins

Back to Lore
You mean DF lore? or Regeneration's Lore?

EDIT:
Ok was playing around with the new "Skull" and harder bone materials and reactions. And it is gltichy-er then I would have never thought. Not only does "make Skull Helm" take a skull and make a helm from it. But it forever grabs the helm making skull helms from the same helm afterwords until removed :/

And the harden bone reactions don't work at all, Which baffles me. It's too late for me to try and solve it. But it could be a typo somewhere, even if the errorlog swears nothing is wrong. Yay paper trails.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 01:24:28 am by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 12:07:34 pm »

Very much looking forward to trying this out!  Unfortunately, I likely won't have a chance until Tadlotlindrirajer dies.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 11:44:05 pm »

I might have to delay the "Tough Bone" update, and maybe the skull helms for kobolds due to an oddity. I probally just failed to set up the MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCTs and REACTION_CLASSes properly.

Also have to give liches their amulets so they can die (other then getting their skull bashed in :P)

Progress has been delayed slightly due to work, and this massive lawn of mine to cut

well here is the new changelog
New
-Woodcrafting is now needed to make wooden clubs
-Geneforge playstyle added to humans.
-Spears can be made from wood by kobolds
-New Kobold items
--Armor--
-Banded skirt
-shin guards
-blocking bracer
--Changes to kobold stuff--
all kobold related clothes should never rot. Not sure if true or not.
-Hard bone "tough bone" and "Skull" bone materials are made so now you can harden bones when your kobolds, and make skull helms
-Damaging the skull can now knock out a creature for a time, breaking the skull and tearing the brain are finishers
-Skulls are made from a harder bone. Either use a good weapon, or tear the upper spine and have the creature bleed/suffocate
-Kobolds can now take 5 bones and make 1 tough bone chunk, which can be made to make iron grade bone armor and weapons
-Whips should be nerf'd
-Aquafiers removed

Bolded is causing alot of issues atm

EDIT:
You could play a side camp ;) haha just kidding Im sure alot of people would hate me if something I did delayed the camps progress.

EDIT2:
Figured it out, I wanted 5 bones used. Well I guess it doesn't count bones as stacks, So it was looking for 5 seperate stacks.
Also Minecarts and wheel barrows can hold twice as much, Kobolds now have wagons and hand carts
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 12:38:32 am by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 12:57:05 pm »

Kobolds can look for thick bones in a stack there is 50% chance for 1 and two 25% chances for 1 (toal of 3 if your lucky) but since your using bone chunks it takes more yo make things from it. So if you got alot of bones, and need Iron grade armor, make Skull Helms and look for Thick Bone Chunks.

It's time for me to work on humans now. have to rework some lore from the other side mod I was working on to make it fit better.

Then probally work on an Advanced Glass Blowers workshop, as well as fix some other workshops (the transition from Phoebus to Ascii is evident here)

EDIT:
Updating OP to links of what I think is good Tilesets

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 01:12:35 am »

Update, slightly delayed. Me and Sanure found a nifty website that is a warehouse of old games, talk about a blast from the past. So we were/are distracted by playing the good old memories, but here is a small update on what is done and what is getting done:

changes:
Kobold military squads can now have 30-20 bolds in a squad
Shamans can talk to unhappy bolds
various bone making reactions and new bone materials (I hope they don't clutter menus up too much)
Duplucate GENERAL noble in dwarves has been removed
Humans have nobles now
Fixed yup custom buildings, should look nicer/ cleaner now

To do/working on
Still playing with the humans getting them to play like I want them to. The noble names are baffling me, im not good with goverment positions and names and such.
Weapon making in adv mode (sanure)
More weapons/weapon upgrades (sanure, hugo)
spells.

There is a more I think, they just don't want to surface at this moment

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 12:51:18 pm »

Hey, Sanure here or Sir Schnozzle the fifth, inside joke...,

So while doing the Adventure mode reactions for regen, i figured i might as well post a kind of to do list for people to look at and maybe want to hit me for the order i picked things in lol.So with out further ado:

1.basic gathering and tool design and clothing(includes leather armor) - done
2.weapons - almost done
3.armor - will be done after i decide how i want to do this
4.basic alchemy - may leave this to hugo, cause i may cause undesirable power...
5.advanced alchemy - last to be worked on. again may leave this to hugo lol

If there is anything you guys and gals want added, just message me or complain to hugo about what you want changed or added and ill get to adding it. see ya!
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 02:25:57 am »

I will be getting Alpha 3 out hopefully soon (day or two) as I work out some things with humans and their new *powers* (which the new alpha will probally lack)

also the Blast Furnace will be called Advanced Furnace so I can add new glass making reactions to it.

alot of bugs and oddies have been removed. As well as Liches being nerf'd

And plans for Jake's Black Powder Fire Arms being added in, and my paper/ink/wirting industry being worked on and to be made more useful other then making medical texts to train your doctors.

Quote from: Changelog
Alpha 3
-Woodcrafting is now needed to make wooden clubs
-Geneforge playstyle added to humans.
-Spears can be made from wood by kobolds
-New Kobold items
--Armor--
-Banded skirt
-shin guards
-blocking bracer
--Changes to kobold stuff--
-Hard bone "tough bone" and "Skull" bone materials are made so now you can harden bones when your kobolds, and make skull helms
-Damaging the skull can now knock out a creature for a time, breaking the skull and tearing the brain are finishers
-Skulls can make a harder skull bone for helms.
-Kobolds can now take 1 stack bones and make 1-3 tough bone chunks but sometimes no tough bone will be found, which can be made to make iron

grade bone armor and weapons
-Whips should be nerf'd
-Aquafiers removed
-Fixed kobolds having no metal bug.
-Goblin and Kobold roles swapped, Kobolds now steal children.
-Vanilla Minecart and wheelbarrow capacitry doubled, new kobold Wagons (track) and hand-carts added. Vanila MC and WB stats
-Fixed up the look of some custom buildings, and added functions for them to take on the color of building mats.
-Kobold Warband marshals can have up to 30 bolds, and Warband Leaders can have up to 20
-Shamans can now Meet with unhappy kobolds and calm them down (if they are good at it)
-Humans given custom nobles
-Fixed a dupe noble that the dwarves had
-Liches given kill zone amulets
-Some Op spells removed from liches
-Humans playable
-worms can be gobbled by respected critters that do so.

Getting so close to V1.0 that I can taste it.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 02:28:01 am by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 12:48:23 am »

Well well, When I get Alpha 3 ready for release, Humans should be able to make shapers (cheaply :() and make creations very easily. But hey its all in good fun until I can flesh it out and add more flavour and tech trees. heaven knows merging Jake's gun mod in will require some mroe tech tree love.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 02:47:24 am »

Alpha 3 is nearing completion, I'm doing a quick test to see if everything works out fine. Once that is done a few more tweaks and she is ready to go.

Also I will me making a story/comunity fort with Alpha 3

right now if you play as humans you can get shapers right off the bat, but there is a hitch, shapers are 50% weaker but have spells. But armored foes are resistant to the ranged spells.

Alpha 3 is 99% done so expect to see it tomorrow.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 11:20:46 am »

Alpha 3 is up, I hope there aren't any bugs that I missed, Errorlog is clean and I was able to turn a human into a shaper, turn a large beetle into a essence beelte (male and female) and have them breed making essence that I could shape into a working servile.

I will be now making a test fort, so I will acually be able to play my mod for once :P instead of power 1-2 year tests. The fortresses history was made by me and Sanure last night (or was it this morning :P) as we were discussing science on new ways to mod things. And new creatures for Regen:FE and for his own personal Mod.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 11:26:30 am by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
Re: <)(Regeneration: Forced Evolution)(> Alpha 3 Humans are Shapers
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 12:36:22 am »

Started my play through here, Haven't done anything as of yet. But there is the thread http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=111605.0

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
Re: <)(Regeneration: Forced Evolution)(> Alpha 3 Humans are Shapers
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 11:57:35 pm »

Posting those tilesets in the OP was the best Idea I had yet, Also found some more things to fix up with my playthrough. And this doesn't mean Im stopping the fort, I'm gonna run it till the bitter end. Even if it means building a army of creations when all humans die.

But here are the changes so far

New
-All organic tissues have a healing rate
-All organ tissues are now renamed to "soft tissue"
-Blood Beast attacks modifed a bit.
-Made the milita apointed by the exp. leader and mayor
-Human Excutioner no longer does law enforcement, just killin
-Elves (high) only come later in the game, due to mithril
-Fixed odd naming of essence pod, and allowed them to be stockpiled correctly
-Made Beetles no longer need grazing.
-Made some beetle nestbox drops more rare.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15