Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do Vampire Ghosts feed? or: "how do I memorialize a ghostly vampire?"  (Read 1209 times)

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is the ghost of a vampire, not a vampiric ghost, to be clear. Or rather, that's what I'm asking: is it both?

Has anyone else had ghosts from their vampiric dwarves, and have those ghosts been dangerous in a vampiric way, or just in the typical ghostly ways? Just trying to decide whether to memorialize him, or keep him around as a conversation piece.

After he ate a child of one of my legendaries (who was also a starting 7), I walled him off in the shaft that had been dug out to strike magma. Because he spent his days hanging out there until his untimely immolation at the hands of a magma beastie, the ghost is now hanging out in the same shaft, well away from all my dwarves, so I suppose that even if he is malicious, he hasn't decided to leave his familiar surroundings and attack yet. I suppose that this would lead one to believe that he is neither malicious nor vampiric, since if he wanted to mess with my dwarves, he'd be able to do so more or less at his leisure...but just the same...GHOSTLY VAMPIRE. Worry?

Update (reflecting posts below): for some reason, I cannot memorialize the ghostly vampire, and because his body was burned up, I cannot coffin any remains. Solutions?

Final Update: Used DFHack to tweak clear-missing on the vampire, carved a slab, and put him to rest. Case closed.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 09:35:12 pm by The Dog Delusion »
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
Re: Do Vampire Ghosts feed?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 06:18:23 am »

This is the ghost of a vampire, not a vampiric ghost, to be clear. Or rather, that's what I'm asking: is it both?
IIRC, there have been reports of ghostly vampire feedings.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 06:31:06 am »

Havnt seen it myself, but I believe the reports. Sounds like something from the x files, right?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 07:10:39 am »

Update:

So apparently, because he died alone, and in the magma (like all dwarves one day hope to?), his body was not recovered, and as a result, he cannot be memorialized. Or some crap like that. I dug out a web farm in the deep earth, and he's been happily inhabiting that new space, so I suppose we'll see what happens!
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Vharuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 07:16:18 am »

When I first read your thread title, I immediately thought, "Of course not!  They're dead!"
And then I remembered the definition of vampire.

As to being stuck with a vampire ghost, I wonder if something's gone wrong.  I've lost a couple dwarves to magma and never recovered their bodies; however, when citizens spotted their ghosts, their deaths were confirmed, and I could memorialize them.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 07:36:16 am »

however, when citizens spotted their ghosts, their deaths were confirmed, and I could memorialize them.

I'll toy around with this a bit - set some meeting zones and see if I can get someone to "spot" the guy.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 08:55:10 pm »

when citizens spotted their ghosts, their deaths were confirmed, and I could memorialize them.

Update: after several experiments with building workshops and meeting zones and the ghostly vampiric administrator is still listed as missing, rather than deceased...:(

[edit]: It finally got announced that he's back, haunting the fort as a ghost, but I still can't carve a slab for him. Will continue investigating.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 09:09:19 pm by The Dog Delusion »