Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 214

Author Topic: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...  (Read 432996 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...
« Reply #270 on: April 06, 2012, 07:12:24 pm »

I'd be perpetually getting one stange mood after another, not finishing most of them yet not becoming insane enough to lose a grip on life.

We'd be a sealed fortress, completely hidden and obscure. Big hostile empires wouldn't know of us, but anyone who happens to stumble upon our secret community will happily be accepted in for their merit. First, however, they would need to be trained to help master the steep learning curve of fortress life.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 06, 2012, 07:15:02 pm »

There would be no warning labels on anything. Hot pipes would be exposed, and open pits of magma would be the norm.

If you can't figure out that you will be freaking elctrocuted by using a blowdryer in the shower, your odds of survival in our fortress would be pretty bleak.

I would suggest the elven pervert village downstream.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 06, 2012, 07:16:18 pm »

Ahaha, no. We wouldn't kill each other. We of Bay12 enjoy killing dwarves in DF mainly because they're stupid. And if you can figure out DF, it for the most part guarantees you're not stupid. We rarely start flamewars on the forums, and they're quickly quelled - if not by the people involved, then by the thoughtful innocent bystanders who tell the flaming people to shut up because it's pointless. :P As it's easier to start fights online anyway, I think we'd do pretty well in person. We wouldn't even need a hammerer. (which is somewhat disappointing because, let's face it, those are badass.)

Hahahohoheehee. Are you kidding?

Throw a bunch of people who barely know each other in the cramped, confined corridors of a poorly lit dwarven fortress, breaking their backs just to survive and with the ever-present threat of annihilation from armed invaders and bloodthirsty beasts from the depths.

Tensions strain, people panic, tempers flare. Emotions go into turmoil as people are torn away from their support systems and thrust into a more-than-difficult life they are thoroughly unprepared for. People try to take charge. People resent those who try to take charge. Cracks form, and soon the whole thing begins to break apart. We'd be at each other's throats within the week.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #273 on: April 06, 2012, 07:19:32 pm »

>Then we all split off into our own isolated sub forts. Loyalties and families are formed from these sub forts, eventually forming entire separate cultures until each different fort unites into Dwarf sparta.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 06, 2012, 07:20:53 pm »

Unprepared for!?  I grew up with a scary Korea campaign vet for a dad!  Every day was boot camp in my house!

I literally know how to field dress just about anything that breathes, how to synthesize medicine from pplants, how to do basic field surgery, and make a permanent structure out of sticks and mud!

Unprepaired for!?  Hah!  I would have a blast! I used to go feral camping for months with naught but clothes and a shoestring for months as a kid!

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 06, 2012, 07:21:01 pm »

Hell is other people, Mister Whispers.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #276 on: April 06, 2012, 07:22:06 pm »

And we have checkerboards for that KodKod.

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 06, 2012, 07:22:45 pm »

So this is what gets thought up when I don't wander in for a few days.

I'm scared to think what would happen to me....

Though I can cook, sew, make/repair mechanical devices, farm, distill booze, organize and count things, and tame animals.

And I like:

short swords for their pointy-stabbiness...
unicorns for their tasty meat
sunshine because it tastes magical with the rainbow-y goodness of a unicorn meat roast (made with minced unicorn brain, and minced unicorn eye).
The colour black, because everything goes with it.

Ahaha, no. We wouldn't kill each other. We of Bay12 enjoy killing dwarves in DF mainly because they're stupid. And if you can figure out DF, it for the most part guarantees you're not stupid. We rarely start flamewars on the forums, and they're quickly quelled - if not by the people involved, then by the thoughtful innocent bystanders who tell the flaming people to shut up because it's pointless. :P As it's easier to start fights online anyway, I think we'd do pretty well in person. We wouldn't even need a hammerer. (which is somewhat disappointing because, let's face it, those are badass.)

Throw a bunch of people who barely know each other in the cramped, confined corridors of a poorly lit dwarven fortress, breaking their backs just to survive and with the ever-present threat of annihilation from armed invaders and bloodthirsty beasts from the depths.

Tensions strain, people panic, tempers flare. Emotions go into turmoil as people are torn away from their support systems and thrust into a more-than-difficult life they are thoroughly unprepared for. People try to take charge. People resent those who try to take charge. Cracks form, and soon the whole thing begins to break apart. We'd be at each other's throats within the week.

I expect several folks would snap and paint the halls with blood.  *goes to get his deck brush*

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #278 on: April 06, 2012, 07:24:52 pm »

I expect several folks would snap and paint the halls with blood.  *goes to get his deck brush*

Half true. On a completely unrelated note, I'll bring some brushes too.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 06, 2012, 07:25:59 pm »

Someone's strange mood would eventually produce a laptop.
Also, Threetoe would be hammerer
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 06, 2012, 07:27:36 pm »

Half true. On a completely unrelated note, I'll bring some brushes too.

If KodKod doesn't have a floor buffer ready for the blood, I'd be surprised. ;)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 06, 2012, 07:29:05 pm »

See, this is what I personally would do.

I would make myself a nice little hermitage far away from the fortress, wait a year or two for the psychosis to wear off, and for the weak and insecure to kill themselves/each other.

Then, after the bloodbath was over, I would cook up a nice little peace offering... say, some bottled aspirin, some rabbit jerky, and a few other sundries... perhaps some crochet clothing (I can make that too.).. throw some rocks at the door to get attention (if you think I am gonna knock, you are crazy), have a pleasant little chat, make the offering, and then go home.

It's good to have good neighbors.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 06, 2012, 07:30:09 pm »

Bahaha, no. Poorly lit? We'd be dwarves. Who cares if they're lit? We can see in the dark. As to breaking our backs, have you ever seen a dwarf complain of back pain? I do figure we'd turtle down for quite a while, though... none of us would really want to go outside and face the goblins.

Plus, we'd start out (if it was a regular embark) with plenty of booze and food to go around. We'd be set for a while - long enough to get to know each other (yes, I know, bad bad bad bad bad) and keep those cracks from forming quite so fast.

KodKod might go berserk, though... :D I'd say, yeah, she can be scorpion queen. If she goes berserk, that's what she'll go for first. :P (kidding, btw)

Hell is other people, Mister Whispers.
And we have checkerboards for that KodKod.
*applauds* Well said.

>Then we all split off into our own isolated sub forts. Loyalties and families are formed from these sub forts, eventually forming entire separate cultures until each different fort unites into Dwarf sparta.
This sounds fun.

(Looks around innocently)

<--- used to make his own firecrackers. Including colored sparklies.
Awesome! You'd make a perfect supervisor/assistant/comrade! You're hired. You get to keep whatever gems I mine.

edit: Holy ****. quadruple ninja'd this time.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 07:32:35 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 06, 2012, 07:32:17 pm »

I miss making firecrackers.  Synthesized TNT once or twice too... <_<

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 06, 2012, 07:36:07 pm »

Trinitrotoloulene? Kinda hard without nitric acid.  I mean, sure, you can get platinum in the game, but where are you going to get the rhodium and rubidium to make the necessary catayltic reactor with?

Then you need refined hydrocarbons....

I'll just stick with common ordinary bangpops.  Easier to make with crude equipment, like chicken poop and ceramic pots.

For what it's worth though, I miss making them too.  This post 911 world is waaaaaaaaaay too paranoid. 
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 214