Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 214

Author Topic: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...  (Read 432795 times)

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...
« Reply #660 on: April 09, 2012, 01:32:24 am »

Girlinhat and Kodkod will have to find a way to settle on who gets what prisoners.

Hmpf. Well as sophisticated, adult women we could easily come to such a decision without resorting to any sort of brutish, uncivilized behaviour.

I could totally take her in a fight, so I get the prisoners.

And if you are a bit overbooked, I'll gladly take some off your hands. For crafting lessons. Whatever state they're in, it doesn't matter, I could use both more pupils and more materials.

g  g    g
g U g g
g g

This is an engraving of Hugo Luman and some goblins. Hugo Luman is teaching the goblins how to make crossbows. The goblins are learning. This relates to the goblins discovering the secrets of bolts and death.
This space for rent

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: April 09, 2012, 01:36:04 am »

Don't be silly.  Killing is sometimes the more merciful choice.

Take your average goblin, for instance.  It seeks to gain social standking by beseiging the local dwarven, human, and elven settlements.

If it gets killed in combat, it is no worse off, and its progeny is no worse off.  If it succeeds, the rewards are large.

If captured?  It can't really go home, can it? Being CAPTURED is the greatest dishonor. Being disarmed and kicked out afterwards, doubly so. It paints the goblin and his progeny as being weak, and paints them as a target for bottom feeders in goblin society.

Being captured and then killed? Who is to prove they were captured at all? In allways, its equal to dieing on the battlefield.

As such, killing the goblins, especially through something like a danger room, is actually a great mercy to them once captured.

Putting them in a danger room gives them the fighting chance to kill dwarves, and perhaps make a daring escape, so they can boast of killing dwarves with their bare hands.  I don't imagine a goblin turning down the opportunity, no matter how high the deck is stacked.

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: April 09, 2012, 01:37:21 am »

By the laws of probability, the number of would-be assassins increases with number of people ruled, no matter how they are governed. The important thing is that you don't make it in your guards' interests to commit treason.

I won't ever let my quantum kittens out of their cages. HugoLuman likes kittens for their plotting...
I havenīt heard of that law. I agree with what you say, but I didnīt know anyone had written down a law about it.

If the mountainhome needs a bowyer, then you can add another me, as Fourmite this time, with Novice (Very Rusty) in Bowyer, Carpenter, Dyer and Clothesmaking.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: April 09, 2012, 01:38:07 am »

Girlinhat and Kodkod will have to find a way to settle on who gets what prisoners.

Hmpf. Well as sophisticated, adult women we could easily come to such a decision without resorting to any sort of brutish, uncivilized behaviour.

I could totally take her in a fight, so I get the prisoners.

And if you are a bit overbooked, I'll gladly take some off your hands. For crafting lessons. Whatever state they're in, it doesn't matter, I could use both more pupils and more materials.

g  g    g
g U g g
g g

This is an engraving of Hugo Luman and some goblins. Hugo Luman is teaching the goblins how to make crossbows. The goblins are learning. This relates to the goblins discovering the secrets of bolts and death.

The Kittens told me to...
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: April 09, 2012, 01:41:30 am »

If the probability of %X of the population Y becoming an assasin is not 0, then as the population Y increases, the number of persons manifest by %X will increase proportionately.

Eg, of a 1% chance existed, and the population was 100, then there would be 1 assassin, statistically.  Of the population was 1000, you have 10 assassins. 10,000 and you have 100.

%X has remained constant at 1%, but population Y has increased.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: April 09, 2012, 01:46:48 am »

*eye twitch* I said guerillas. You know, terrorists. Partisans. Freedom fighters. Liberal Crime Squad. Cart bombs, ambushes, crossbow bolts flying out of walls, that kind of stuff.

I know you did, and that's what I liked. Must be natural for a Finn.

By the way, could your hallway firing positions from later on work through fortifications in the walls of the hallways with paths behind them leading to the dining hall? (No direct access to the hallways from the firing positions) Safe from melee, still capable of firing.

One last thing: terrorist=freedom fighter
They're just different points of view.

I know, real life, how to work metal.

*Oliolli looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!*
*Koremu has been struck down*

But I already made an artifact!

Also, The professional warrior/soldier. Without an enemy to fight, he is nothing. A world without conflict is a world where he has no purpose, and no meaning.

I have to agree with that. Doubly so for officers. As Patton wrote, more or less: "Civilian life will be very boring. No cheering crowds, flowers, private planes. I'm certain that the best end for an officer is the last bullet of the war."

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: April 09, 2012, 01:54:25 am »

Symantically, I disagree.

By definition, a terrorist is a person who employs terror to illicit some kind of change that is favorable to the terrorist.

A freedom fighter is a person who fights an established government to illicit a change that is favorable to the freedom fighter.

A freedom fighter CAN employ terrorism as a tactic, however this is not required. (See for instance, gandhi.)

A terrorist may be invoking terror to illicit more freedoms, but this is not the case. (It could just as easily be for simple extortion.)

Thus, some freedom fighters are terrorists, and some terrorists are freedom fighters, but not all freedom fighters are terrorists, and not all terrorists are freedom fighters.

Because of that, freedom fighter != terrorist, in the purely logical form.

One could argue that a non-terrorist freedom fighter illicits terror in the currently prevailing social order's power structure, being a clear and present threat to the status quo of that order, but the freedom fighter does not explicitly seek to employ this status, and is therefor not a terrorist.

Compare: a big mastiff dog is very tame, and loves people. The paranoid helicopter parent is terrified the dog will bite their snowflake child while they play together. Is the dog a terrorist?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: April 09, 2012, 01:56:32 am »

Save the debating for when we're all dead. It hurts mah brains.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: April 09, 2012, 02:02:28 am »

i got fired from militia commander?
you mean i'm not invincibly overtrained yet?

i have discovered the ugly truth.....  the twelfth bay is not a mountainhome...  it is a dark fortress.
You were never militia commander - you were captain of the guard. lol And you're not missing a foot anymore, congrats. :) ("art" no longer imitates real life. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. If I could savescum for your leg, I probably would.)

And that's what I wanted from the start! :P A dark fortress sounds more fun than a regular dwarf fortress. but yeah. no. It's a regular fortress. not quite mountainhome yet, but if we keep at it, I'm sure we'll get there.

-minimegasnip about mercy-
This is why I drop goblins 10 z's and then let them walk home, unarmed. If they survive (which they hopefully will leaving a huge blood trail).

If the mountainhome needs a bowyer, then you can add another me, as Fourmite this time, with Novice (Very Rusty) in Bowyer, Carpenter, Dyer and Clothesmaking.
You're back in. Welcome to The Twelfth Bay (again (sort of)), Fourmite. Tonight we dine in hell. (and all the other nights, too.)

Ninja'd.
Freedom fighters, by definition, fight for freedom.
Terrorists, by definition, seek to inflict terror.

It's completely possible to be just a freedom fighter, just a terrorist, or both.
It's also possible to be neither, but that's not quite what you're talking about right now, so.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 02:08:51 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Random Spark

• Bay Watcher
  • Tales of Karma and Strategy
    • View Profile
    • My Art (Deviant Art profile)
« Reply #669 on: April 09, 2012, 02:05:02 am »

Charles "Random Spark" McHenry has been troubled lately. He has complained about the lack of chairs lately. He has been comforted by a friend recently. He has admired a fine prisoner lately.
He is a Casual worshiper of Armok the god of blood and Three Toe the rites of Word.
He is a citizen of The Twelfth Bay. He is a member of the Southern Beaches.
Charles "Random Spark" McHenry likes Microline, the color Pink, Glass, Chains, Leather, Cages and Cats for their haunting eyes. When possible he prefers to drink Dwarven Rum and "Potato Alcohol[Sic]"

Skilled:
Marksdwarf.
Engraver.
Cook.
Writer.
Reader.

Adept:
Archer.
Liar.
Conversationalist.
Speaker.

Proficient:
Flatterer.
Observer.

Adequate:
Ambusher.
Lasher.
Swimmer.
Poet.

Novice:
Consoler.
Wood Crafter.
Wood Burner.

Dabbling:
Student.
Comedian.
Building Designer.
I am an artist. I draw, write, and compose.
I am also a smartalek. I am also trying to design a game.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: April 09, 2012, 02:17:16 am »

Marksdwarf, Engraver, Cook, Lasher, Woodcrafter, wood burner, architect... Pretty nice selection. Welcome aboard, Random Spark.

Also, welcome to the forums. :) I noticed you didn't get that much of a welcome when you first posted your log/story (good read, by the way).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 02:19:12 am by Talvieno »

Random Spark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: April 09, 2012, 02:21:53 am »

Marksdwarf, Engraver, Cook, Lasher, Woodcrafter, wood burner, architect... Pretty nice selection. Welcome aboard, Random Spark.

Also, welcome to the forums. :) I noticed you didn't get that much of a welcome when you first posted your log/story (good read, by the way).

Hey, you know, thanks.
I haven't had a lot of time to check in  with the place but i only ever got that one reply so I've been back on lurking here and there.

I'm just hoping we all agree on how to use archers in combat situations...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: April 09, 2012, 02:24:55 am »

stick an impassable, shoot throughable obstacle between them and the enemy. Problem solved so long as they have ammo.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: April 09, 2012, 02:29:20 am »

Hey, you know, thanks.
I haven't had a lot of time to check in  with the place but i only ever got that one reply so I've been back on lurking here and there.

I'm just hoping we all agree on how to use archers in combat situations...
Yep, I noticed. And I hope we all agree on how to use them, too. How would that be? I'd stick them in a fortified tower 2 to 3 z's above the ground.

Alternatively, I'd put them in minecarts and launch them in high parabolic arcs. There's no way goblins can hit a fast-moving target like that.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 02:31:11 am by Talvieno »

Random Spark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: April 09, 2012, 02:41:50 am »

Yep, I noticed. And I hope we all agree on how to use them, too. How would that be? I'd stick them in a fortified tower 2 to 3 z's above the ground.

Alternatively, I'd put them in minecarts and launch them in high parabolic arcs. There's no way goblins can hit a fast-moving target like that.

I would gladly substitute this lovely, me shaped, dorf replacement.
His name is "Imposter McMicroline"
He would love to test your D.O.R.F. Coaster.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(thankfully i keep my me-shaped statues numbered for just such an occasion.)
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 214