Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 214

Author Topic: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...  (Read 432813 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...
« Reply #810 on: April 10, 2012, 08:28:36 am »

I can ride a horse adeptly... even without a saddle, and can break horses to ride...

But I don't know about breaking a giant man-eating bird to ride.

(Significantly farther to fall when shook off... and I'm getting old.)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: April 10, 2012, 09:02:37 am »

Enough rope around me and the GCSwallow.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: April 10, 2012, 09:13:08 am »

I'm sure she will enjoy tormenting a sentient being for a change.

"A change"? Oh my, no.

-snip-

...And even in a game of dwarf fortress Oliolli insists on aggravating me. Revenge!
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Silverbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: April 10, 2012, 10:08:43 am »

Interesting thread...
I volunteer!
Expert Woodcutter
Expert Wood Burner
(wood burning stove operator)

Competent Animal Trainer (If controlling two ferrets counts)
Competant Crossbow/Bowman (can generally hit targets with a bow)
Competant Swordsman (can fence pretty well ,but would probably be useless with a normal sword)
I'm also on the Giant in the Playground forum under the same username.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: April 10, 2012, 10:19:32 am »

Oh and Talvieno, you and I both know my choice of words in my volunteering to be jerkoff of all trades would have been vastly more offencive. did you censor me for the good of those around you?
Lmao :P Yes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
While that might be possible in theory, Wierd, I can assure you that it would be absolutely impossible within any of our lifetimes. I have what might be considered "competent computer electronics" - you know, integrated circuits, transistors, capacitors, diodes, etc. Vacuum tubes are bad for two real reasons.
1. They're huge. The average computer these days contains well over two and a half billion transistors. Transistors can now be made to be microscopic in size - you can contain tens of thousands within even the smallest integrated circuits (aka computer chips). Assuming we could make vacuum tubes that were 2.5cm by 10cm(one inch by four inches) in size, to create a computer out of vacuum tubes that could match even the one you're sitting at right now, we would need - at minimum (if we never plan on replacing any that go out) - a room 150 meters(450 feet) in height, and 38 meters(115 feet) in width/length. That's around 216,000 cubic meters(six million cubic feet), and if built in DF would be approximately 45 z-levels tall. If we want to be more realistic, with room for us to walk among them, and only tall enough for us to reach, the room would need to be at least 360 meters by 11400 meters(950 feet by 34,200 feet) in size - basically 0.3km by 10.5km(0.2 miles by 6.5 miles). This would be the DF equivalent of a 1-z room that was 95 tiles by 3420 tiles - or, to put it more to scale, a 2 by 69 embark, completely hollowed out on one z-level.
2. They consume far more energy than they put out. Powering so many vacuum tubes would take more energy than we could possibly generate - more than I want to do the math for.  (partially also because that's not one of my strong points, and I don't know the exact numbers.)
Oh, and did I mention they're a lot slower than transistors?

Basically, while possible in theory, it would be completely impractical.

JJtoocool, Silverbit - welcome to the madness. :D Avoid KodKod, and try not to drink all the beer. :P

Splint, Oliolli, thanks. :) Glad you guys liked it. I honestly think my story quality is degrading.

So now a couple questions. 1. Should I continue with the story/simulation, and 2. If I do, what do we do about the elves, given our current state? (about 200 food, 100 drink)
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #815 on: April 10, 2012, 10:29:51 am »

Did we just invent religion?

Ah nevermind, we invented the necronomicon.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: April 10, 2012, 10:39:34 am »

So now a couple questions. 1. Should I continue with the story/simulation, and 2. If I do, what do we do about the elves, given our current state? (about 200 food, 100 drink)

Trade them for their goods so that we've got a bit more food and boozeahol to keep us going, but build a retractable bridge with a 1 level drop to cage traps underneath in order to stun and capture them.

Set a couple up in the dining room for morale, so that we can all get happy thoughts from seeing caged animals. Then find the prettiest elf maiden and install her in my room, I want to break her.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 11:13:06 am by KodKod »
/人‿‿人\

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: April 10, 2012, 10:41:28 am »

...And even in a game of dwarf fortress Oliolli insists on aggravating me. Revenge!

left eye
middle eye
right eye

left eye tooth
right eye tooth

...dammit Talvieno...

You know, I got this haunting feeling that eventually our characters in the game will get married... no idea why...

1. Yes.
2. Let them into the depot, then deconstruct the depot. Then what KodKod said.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 10:43:30 am by Oliolli »

When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #818 on: April 10, 2012, 11:00:38 am »

-snip-

On the topic of Elves... No diplomat = Kill caravan please

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: April 10, 2012, 11:17:35 am »

You know, I got this haunting feeling that eventually our characters in the game will get married... no idea why...

How dead would you like to be, Mister Oliolli?
/人‿‿人\

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: April 10, 2012, 11:27:15 am »

This might be a good time to mention that in the game, our dwarves actually don't match our genders. :-\ I couldn't exactly choose who got which gender, and for the great majority of everyone I didn't actually know the gender. If there's an external program that can genderswap and reset lovers, that would be somewhat useful, but as far as romance goes, I'll be adding that into the story manually, and I'm very open as to suggestions.
With the exception of Girlinhat and Saltmummy. That was luck.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: April 10, 2012, 11:35:41 am »

as far as romance goes, I'll be adding that into the story manually, and I'm very open as to suggestions.

Whatever you do, keep me away from any romance. I've got more important things to do, like inflicting a world of pain on that pretty pampered princess prisoner I want.
/人‿‿人\

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: April 10, 2012, 11:45:39 am »

Keep me away from such things as well. In reality I'm an asexual misanthrope, so I can't really see any reason game-me would even be friends/lovers with people.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: April 10, 2012, 12:24:04 pm »

Oh and Talvieno, you and I both know my choice of words in my volunteering to be jerkoff of all trades would have been vastly more offencive. did you censor me for the good of those around you?
Lmao :P Yes.

While that might be possible in theory, Wierd, I can assure you that it would be absolutely impossible within any of our lifetimes. I have what might be considered "competent computer electronics" - you know, integrated circuits, transistors, capacitors, diodes, etc. Vacuum tubes are bad for two real reasons.
1. They're huge. The average computer these days contains well over two and a half billion transistors. Transistors can now be made to be microscopic in size - you can contain tens of thousands within even the smallest integrated circuits (aka computer chips). Assuming we could make vacuum tubes that were 2.5cm by 10cm(one inch by four inches) in size, to create a computer out of vacuum tubes that could match even the one you're sitting at right now, we would need - at minimum (if we never plan on replacing any that go out) - a room 150 meters(450 feet) in height, and 38 meters(115 feet) in width/length. That's around 216,000 cubic meters(six million cubic feet), and if built in DF would be approximately 45 z-levels tall. If we want to be more realistic, with room for us to walk among them, and only tall enough for us to reach, the room would need to be at least 360 meters by 11400 meters(950 feet by 34,200 feet) in size - basically 0.3km by 10.5km(0.2 miles by 6.5 miles). This would be the DF equivalent of a 1-z room that was 95 tiles by 3420 tiles - or, to put it more to scale, a 2 by 69 embark, completely hollowed out on one z-level.
2. They consume far more energy than they put out. Powering so many vacuum tubes would take more energy than we could possibly generate - more than I want to do the math for.  (partially also because that's not one of my strong points, and I don't know the exact numbers.)
Oh, and did I mention they're a lot slower than transistors?

Basically, while possible in theory, it would be completely impractical.

JJtoocool, Silverbit - welcome to the madness. :D Avoid KodKod, and try not to drink all the beer. :P

Splint, Oliolli, thanks. :) Glad you guys liked it. I honestly think my story quality is degrading.

Oh, I know they are about 10,000% larger than a transistor.  I know they gobble down juice.

The real use I had in mind was for them to control a simple 2.5 axis lithography aparatus. For this a large 8 bit valve based computer running with paper tape would be sufficient. A large gas laser, a vacuum chamber, some photolithography dopants, and some home-made sapphire wafers, and we have the whole computer revolution in 2-3 years, instead of 30.

With electricity, the production of said sapphire wafers is possible.  I somehow doubt that our fortress will need a fullscale batch processing setup for large economies where silicon shines. We could probably get an intel 4004 equivalent cooked up that way pretty reliably. IIRC, it was initially designed by hand with a table-sized master that was hand-scribed and etched. It only has 2.5k transistors.

A single production run of 4004's in the hobby lithograph tank would be enough to completely scrap the valve based system.  The paper tape would probably have to stick around awhile though.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: April 10, 2012, 12:31:02 pm »

I want to make a lot of friends, then get a strange mood, get all melancholic because I needed cobalt bars, die and cause a tantrum spiral
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 214