Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 214

Author Topic: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...  (Read 432830 times)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...
« Reply #2775 on: May 13, 2012, 02:58:21 am »

An unfortunately timed meteorite obliterates the mobile dragon fortress!

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: May 13, 2012, 07:04:13 am »

Well... that depends.

See, a meteorite can be the size of a marble when it hits ground....

Or the size of a large tank.

How big of a horrible flaming space rock are we talking here? Also, is it iron-core meteorite, or sillicate meteorite?

See, I am thinking iron core, and about the size of a basketball.

Not big enough to "kill us all", but definately enough to require roofing contractors after it lands on the fortress's roof.

"Large tank size" is overkill. That would result in an epically huge crater, like "meteor crater". The biggest I would suggest is "square bale of hay size", which would be enough to split a mountain open. (The meteorite that created meteor crater was approximately 50 meters across at impact, and had an equivilent explosion of 10 megatons of TNT. That why I suggest a 2.5 meter across meteorite, which should be roughly equivalent to 500,000 tons ot TNT, as the upper limit you ascribe to the size.)

Regardless, the shockwave from it hitting the ground will set off the nitro in my explosives and flamable materials shack on the surface, so I'm not too thrilled.

Still, the overkill characters need weaknesses. 

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2777 on: May 13, 2012, 07:05:42 am »

Don't forget about the mountain-sized ones!

Does this booze smell like Oliolliitis to you?

Dragons don't drink booze and are immune to all diseases that are existing, will exist, or, have existed!

Who said I would use it on the dragons? >:]

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: May 13, 2012, 07:38:06 am »

WHATEVER IT IS, I'M NOT DRINKING IT UNLESS WE RUN OUT OF REAL BOOZE AND WE CAN'T FIND WATER.
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: May 13, 2012, 07:55:50 am »

Regardless, the shockwave from it hitting the ground will set off the nitro in my explosives and flamable materials shack on the surface, so I'm not too thrilled.

Doesn't that depend on how far from our fortress the impact is?

Probably too close if we want to make sure that fortress is properly cracked open...

When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: May 13, 2012, 12:16:32 pm »

Most of the force went into the Dragon Mobile Fortress, which was destroyed but had enough armor and defenses that it absorbed most of the energy. If we can find the iron core, it probably fused into some cool new metal, having melted together with dragon blood.

Some of the shrapnel probably hit Gbaneg, though most likely it only resulted in a cool scar across one of his eyes.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: May 13, 2012, 12:35:13 pm »

Well... that depends.

See, a meteorite can be the size of a marble when it hits ground....

Or the size of a large tank.

How big of a horrible flaming space rock are we talking here? Also, is it iron-core meteorite, or sillicate meteorite?

See, I am thinking iron core, and about the size of a basketball.

Not big enough to "kill us all", but definately enough to require roofing contractors after it lands on the fortress's roof.

"Large tank size" is overkill. That would result in an epically huge crater, like "meteor crater". The biggest I would suggest is "square bale of hay size", which would be enough to split a mountain open. (The meteorite that created meteor crater was approximately 50 meters across at impact, and had an equivilent explosion of 10 megatons of TNT. That why I suggest a 2.5 meter across meteorite, which should be roughly equivalent to 500,000 tons ot TNT, as the upper limit you ascribe to the size.)

Still, the overkill characters need weaknesses. 

Your explosives were already hit by magma.

They do have a weakness, it is just...

A slayer siege has come!

CARP!  THEY'VE COME!  AND THE ENTIRE SIEGE HAS DRAGONBANE WEAPONS!!!!!!!!!!

NOTE: Dragonbane has a 50:1 multiplier on dragons, and the strength of steel against all other species!

Most of the force went into the Dragon Mobile Fortress, which was destroyed but had enough armor and defenses that it absorbed most of the energy. If we can find the iron core, it probably fused into some cool new metal, having melted together with dragon blood.

Some of the shrapnel probably hit Gbaneg, though most likely it only resulted in a cool scar across one of his eyes.

Gbaneg was destroyed in an anti-matter blast.

That metal is dragonbane, and it brought the Slayers!

Doesn't that depend on how far from our fortress the impact is?

Probably too close if we want to make sure that fortress is properly cracked open...

It cracked the central power system, which destroyed the thing in the same way it destroyed Gbaneg, and the blast the meteor caused killed two hundred dragons!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 01:03:21 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: May 13, 2012, 01:22:23 pm »

For fortress safety reasons, the flamable materials and explosives manufacturing building is on the surface, and far removed from the main mountain hall.  It has mechanically operated flask turners and the like, due to the extremely touchy nature of the nitro's titration process.

Due to the risk of horrible explosion, and the quite real possibility it would have to be rebuilt later, it is made from cheap wood instead of fancy dwarven stone masonry. This minimizes the danger the structure poses if it accidentally (on purpose.. I'm looking at you corai...) explodes.

The research lab, where I dabble in safer forms of chemistry, like poisons and the like, is inside the fortress, but has an emergency magma purge system in case an experiment goes out of control.  It is intended to protect the fortress at the lab's expense.  That system was recenty triggered when an animated adamantine fiber bag began a rampage in there.  Being inorganic, and resistant to all acids, bases, and forms of chemical attack, the only available option to prevent a total disaster was to initiate the purge, which then seals the lab with obsidian by dumping water on top of the magma.

So far the pyrotechnician's shack has been largely ignored by the recent "confusion", the risk of being blown up just by going inside being quite high has been sufficient to keep corai and his kobold lackeys out so far... however, the tremors and over-pressure shockwave of the recent meteor impact would have been sufficient to detonate the latest batch of nitro brewing in there.

So, "somewhere on the hillside, sequestered deep in the woods, another fireball shoots up into the sky in a rain of wooden confetti"

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: May 13, 2012, 02:02:13 pm »

♫ High on a hill was a loney laboratory
Yoh-de-le-hi-yoldeleh-hi-hoo
When one day it up and went KABOOM♫

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQEhMbKJJko
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: May 13, 2012, 02:10:02 pm »

Wierd Joykill walks into Oliolli's room to see what he is up to: Oliolli hasn't been seen outside his room for weeks and all the dwarves that had been taking him food and drink would say about him is "Lads peculiarly secretive." Wierd, however, knew that Oliolli couldn't have been struck by a strange mood. According to Loud Whispers, Oliolli had been through that previously. Upon entering the room, wierd instantly notices that the room is full of paper, and the paper is full of writing. No wonder the dwarves had thought that Oliolli was secretive. "What... exactly are you doing?" he asks. Finishing what seems to be an equation spanning the length of several pieces of A4-paper in extremely small handwriting, Oliolli turns to him and says: "I know the laws of the universe well enough to know that they'll be back. I just have yet to find out how." Oliolli turns back to his papers, asking wierd for "paper #241". Wierd has no idea which paper 241 is, and Oliolli won't respond to any further queries into what he is doing. As Oliolli finally finds 241, wierd brings up another topic. "Dude, the Slayers are still out there. We need every capable warrior if we want to get rid of them. Mind helping out?" Examining 241, Oliolli mumbles something about "Project FTW" and pulling the lever and, upon finding that there is nothing worth notice on 241, simply claims that whatever it is he's doing is more important than getting rid of the Slayers, sealed out of the fortress with walls constructed by the dwarves. Wierd is even more confused as he leaves the room. Loud Whispers is standing a few meters away, chomping on a cat meat biscuit. For whatever reason, wierd is extremely irritated by this.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 02:12:53 pm by Oliolli »

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: May 13, 2012, 02:11:41 pm »

Corai, who is standing nearby, smiles at the sheer epicness of Oiliolli's storytelling skills.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: May 13, 2012, 02:13:32 pm »

Crap. Im a dwarf. Filled with the greatest lunatics of dwarf fortress.

Something tells me this is why people migrate from the mountain home to begin with.

I dig a 20x20 area, muddy it with buckets, and lock my self in.

YOU'LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE, YOU CANT HAVE MY BONES TO MAKE YOUR TOOLS WITH OR TO DIG YOUR MAGMA TUNNELS

-holds tightly onto his pickaxe and pets it whispering obscentities-

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2787 on: May 13, 2012, 02:15:17 pm »

Ooo is that a pit?

Hey Angel, can I store my jars there?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: May 13, 2012, 02:16:44 pm »

Just for your information
The name slayers is short for dragonslayers.  They were once renowned for their abilities of killing dragons.  The main dragon civilization did not mind too much, due to the slain being exiles.  That is, until one of the slayers killed a non-exiled dragon.  Long story short, there was a massive and bloody war between the humans and the dragons that ended with the slayers being exiled and the situation as it is today.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: May 13, 2012, 02:17:47 pm »

So, the Slayers are the only living thing that can even scratch a dragon?

Quick, someone get me a phone. I need to make a call. And a Slayer Phonebook.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 214