Poll

I don't know

at all how
- 0 (0%)
to delete poll.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25

Author Topic: The Edification of a Dwarven Language  (Read 44768 times)

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
The Edification of a Dwarven Language
« on: May 01, 2012, 05:06:18 pm »

I believe that Toady has given us the means to create the dwarven language in a simplistic form in the form of language raws. This being the case, I think that we should, as a community, create and agree upon the dwarven language and its makeup. Until I see that there is at least one person who'd at least want the community to work on such a thing, I'm going to hold back my ideas.

OK:
Poll added to this thread.

Nouns:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Verbs:
Adjectives:
Adverbs:
Pronouns:
Articles:
Conjunctions:
Prepositions:
Questions:
Sentence Structure:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 01:48:35 pm by Nonsequitorian »

Bytyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Edification of a Dwarven Language
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 06:16:41 pm »

How would creating the language in the raws be different from how the language currently exists?

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 06:27:25 pm »

All the words in it are nouns and adjectives. As it stands, grammar consists is nonexistent.  Noun X is the same in Nominative, Genitive, and Accusative. There is no differentiation conjugation, even though the game indicates different meanings. The vocabulary in the game is relatively small. There are no subject words, nor are there any definite articles. All there are are a few nouns and a few adjectives.

The addition of verbs would mean having verbs, because there are none at all. In terms of adding it to the raws, you'd have to have multiple entries for different person and number, but I believe it is worth it.

In terms of actual game function, probably nothing would change. It would only add a larger amount of words and more variation for meanings.

Bytyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 06:35:48 pm »

I see. If grammar were to be dictated, I think it should be done in ways that are easily relatable to English. changes to sentence structure would be minor and predictable, more like the difference between English and German than English and Chinese. Also, I would want the dictionary to be standardized from player to player, and new versions to be released with new versions of the game. I'm kind of getting a feel for dwarvish, if it were generated differently from world to world and person to person I could never relate any dwarvish terms to anyone else, and I could never get the hang of understanding dwarvish in game. Under these conditions, I would be all for it.

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 06:50:56 pm »

A randomly generated language would be too nonsensical, and also quite a bit harder to do than just add words.

If I were to be in control of everything, sentence structure would be more like latin. That is to say, there really is none to speak of, but it is common to see linguistic term x in place y and linguistic term a to come in place b.

Because adjectives and nouns are already squished together in names and titles, I think adjectives in dwarvish should be smushed onto the noun it modifies. This would further extend the needlessness of structure (as the only reason for structure in latin was for more complicated sentences where for example a participle could effect two things).

In English, adjectives come before nouns. If an apple is red, we say the red apple. In French, adjectives come after nouns, so the apple red. In Dwarvish, due to having all names be amalgams of other words, I think it would be fitting for the red apple to instead be "the applered." just for continuity, nouns should come before adjectives, so you don't have to say  the redjuicylargeripeapple just to get to the apple part. It could get annoying for people to have to read a long word before they know what's being talked about.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 07:03:52 pm »

Hm. I think that stuff like that could also be raw-defined. So, Dwarvish for "red apple" might be applered, but in Human it might be "red apple," in Elvish "apple red," in Goblin "apple-red," or whatever.

What should the Dwarvish sentence structure look like?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 07:11:37 pm »

If we have cases for nouns, and verbs can have subjects built in (like in amo means I love, amas means you love, amat means he/she loves...), then sentence structure matters not because the subjects, objects, adjectives (and thus participles), and almost everything else needs not rely on any other word.

In english we say "I ate food."

But because we know I has to be the subject (because otherwise it wouldn't be I),  the sentence "Ate food I" is still "correct" in the sense that, save for the order of words, the grammar is correct. This is how many ancient languages worked, why not dwarvish?

Bytyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 07:14:20 pm »

For me, it more important for dwarfish to be conceptually simple to an english speaker then for it to be technically logical. Language is something best enjoyed with others; it should serve the community, and in order for the community to learn to use it, it should be both accessible and interesting. Though I suppose this community has a much higher than average tolerance for inaccessible enjoyment.

I'm not disagreeing with what you've said, but that it a consideration when we move the language structure from Germanic to Romantic roots.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 07:22:18 pm »

I actually quite like Nonseq's idea. Are there any examples in the existing raws of slight variations to words so that we can get an idea for some standard modifications? Sort of like the amo/amas/amat example before, or Urist means dagger, Urista = big dagger, so on so forth? That way, we can at least start to expand the dwarven dictionary.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Bytyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 07:31:07 pm »

Perhaps if you guys are serious about starting a potential dwarvish dictionary and grammatical rule set, we should set up a central file starting with the language raws as they exist and producing our own versions with a change log.

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 07:58:17 pm »

I actually quite like Nonseq's idea. Are there any examples in the existing raws of slight variations to words so that we can get an idea for some standard modifications? Sort of like the amo/amas/amat example before, or Urist means dagger, Urista = big dagger, so on so forth? That way, we can at least start to expand the dwarven dictionary.

I've looked and it doesn't look like it. There is some way that is used to define whether participles and present 1st verbs have irregular past tense forms, and what part of speech a word is. I can't figure it out, but it works. No dwarvish words change, they're all static. Past participles and present 1st person singular verbs are the same as the nouns they take after. Clap/clapped is nasib, but clapped is irregular in the past participle as it has an extra p, but I don't know how they did that in the raws.

Also, Non has more commonly been used than Nonseq. I find Nonseq too long.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 08:00:41 pm by Nonsequitorian »

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 09:58:22 pm »

A full half of the general types of English words is doable in practically no space at all.

Articles (a, an, the)
Conjunctions (and, or, nor...)
Pronouns
Prepositions.

A -complete- list for English is shockingly short.

Add a trick (like "-ly" in English) to make -any- adjective into an adverb, and you're down to, basically, just the darn verbs.

'To be' and 'to have' both need to be -short- for all tenses. They're ubiquitous - and they're the core of most of the non-present tenses for all the -other- verbs.

The only other verb we need is ...
To Magma. ;)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 02:38:00 am »

I could really see the human language (to go slightly off-topic) as being like ancient greek. They already have that sort of armor, and a general historic feel like that would be kinda cool. Myths and all...
Maybe germanic for dwarves and native american for elves?
(No offense intended with cannibalism  :D )
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 09:57:46 am »

Dwarves are typically portrayed as Norse, actually. 

And "Native American" is too broad a cultural spectrum to have any particular meaning.  It's like saying "Eurasian Culture".  You'll have to narrow it down a little.

Anyway, I do like the idea of adding conjugations and prepositions to dwarven language, although it would seem odd why they didn't exist until now.  Maybe they are very short? 

Also, while it would take a *gasp* *heresy* new font/tileset to have such things, I would really like to see some eventual use of a full new alphabet to go with the procedural language.  Something like how Ultima used Futhark.  If we had an option to turn on dwarven runes, and speak to one another in runic script over the forums (Translation: Haha, stupid noobs, you can't even read Futhark!  Go back to scaling the insurmountable learning cliff!) that would be a fantastic leap.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 12:28:37 pm »

This sounds fun! What if we structured this like an open source project? As in anyone can make "patches" for the language. With one or two editors to accept and edit patches so as to make it coherent. If this takes of we could maybe even get a dwarvish language subforum xD

EDIT: (As in a forum where we could only speak dwarvish)
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25