Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dark City MUD  (Read 3991 times)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
Dark City MUD
« on: May 06, 2012, 09:31:35 pm »

UPDATE 5/13/2012
The server is up and running at: thedarkcity.co  PORT:5555
(there's NOTHING for payers to do right now, we are building)

Forums are located at: thedarkcity.co
(not happy with the template, needs modification, still has stock logo so ignore that please. Also not much here yet but I am updating it regularly as I write out design docs.)

IRC is irc.darkmyst.org #darkcity
I do my best to stay in this channel whenever I am at the computer. I am also in the channel when I am not at the computer, but drop in and chat about stuff if you want to.

inFAQ:
Whats this all about?
Right now, this is primarily an exercise in world building, you can see the Basic Design Philosophy Spoiler below for more info about what we are trying to do or see the Setting of Dark City Spoiler for info about, well...the setting.

For players there's nothing to do yet, but if you want to build with CoffeeMUD, I can give you an area or two to toy around with. If you want to get serious and be involved in the world building, lets talk about that, I would love to have more minds working on this.

What MUD engine are you using?
I am using CoffeeMUD and its a pretty sweet codebase I think, easy to build and customize and SIMPLE to manage. It is under active development and is surprisingly feature rich. It's written in Java and it has Javascript implemented for deep powerful scripting as well as a separate and much simpler (but very powerful!) scripting system that allows things like complex mob interactions, random generated areas, advanced faction system and legal system, clan conquerable areas, etc.

Theres lots of info about it on the web, unfortunately its kinda scattered around a few different sites. The best I can do is give you the two main sites, most of the info is redundant but maybe different attempts have been made to organize it.
WIKI: http://coffeemud.wikispaces.com/
HOME SITE: http://www.zimmers.net/home/mud/

MUD INFO:

« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 07:22:59 pm by ductape »
I got nothing

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
Re: Dark City MUD
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 09:33:42 pm »

reserved
I got nothing

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 09:47:01 pm »

Seems to be a pretty refreshing theme for a MUD - AFAIK very little fan stuff has been done for Dark City.
I loved the movie.
I might also be up for building areas at some point in the future.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 10:12:12 pm »

Awesome,I loved the movie as well. Imagine it done in fantasy setting. The players start in an underground area called the Well of Souls and are sorta stuck there. The underworld is a fantasy setting.

Mainly I want to feature strong player interaction with the world and attentive GM "helping" of player goals. Ideally, at least 1 GM for every 2-5 players and those GMs would actively be breathing life into the world and helping it to respond to player actions.

Lets play this MUD not as usual, lets play it like a collaborative story-telling world-building awesomeness!

How? Keep it simple at first and grow it up from there as needed.
I got nothing

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 10:54:21 pm »

Hey sorry for the double posting, but I just anted to say I would love if anyone wanted to work on this with me or just chat about it and work out ideas.

The MUD engine I am using, CoffeeMUD is remarkably felxible with lots of cool features and seriously pretty easy to work with. It even has a web-based interface for building rooms, items, mobs, etc. or you can do it the old fashioned way.

CoffeeMUD features:
http://www.coffeemud.net/guides/Features.html

some articles on building:
http://coffeemud.wikispaces.com/Building

Join me?
I got nothing

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 06:00:21 pm »

I'll help you. Though I'm not a great writer, I've been trying to learn how to program MUDs.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 07:04:27 pm »

Perfect! I thin CoffeeMUd is a great place for beginners as well as experienced builders. There is plenty that can be done right on-world, like most muds. Theres also a web GUI that allows you to build stuff VERY fast.

There also quite a lot of built in function for building complex behavior, lik quests. The engine is written in Java but the game stuff is doen in javascript, which imho is a useful language to know if your interested in web development at all.

I will get the mud running public (gotta forward some ports) and then I will get you the access you need and send it in a PM.
I got nothing

Red

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 07:44:10 pm »

I'd be willing to help some out too. I'm not exactly a great writer either, but I do have some experience programming (None particularly in javascript, but it shouldn't be too hard to pick up).

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 11:02:15 pm »

Great! I am getting it installed on my VPS I think instead of running it from home. I got my server admins getting it up I hope, probably should be going in the next day or so.

theres some stuff we can do in the meantime, let me know if any of these are interesting.

-setup a forum at the domain, I can do this pretty fast if we want it.
-work out some story and world building stuff
-plan out some of the mechanics, see below.

Its SUPER easy to get this engine running locally on your computer, you just download the files, throw down a command at the command line or DOS prompt. Then you just use a client like MUSHclient to log in locally. This is what I did to start learning and writing. The cool this is that it seems pretty easy to export and import stuff so anything you build on your machine can be moved easily.

Theres also a web client that it comes with. IN fact it comes with all kinds of cool stuff on install. The mud client, a forum, a welcome web page, and the Grinder which is the GUI config/building.management tool. Its neat because you can do stuff to the world from anywhere, even your smart phone!

About mechanics. theres some very interesting stuff built in that I am interested in figuring out and implementing. These are:

-Player owned rooms and areas, there is a simple mechanic that allows player to buy them. How does this fit into our world?

-Factions, there is unlimited factions we can create you can do lots of cool stuff with them. You can have a players standing with a faction be modified by a number of actions and also have mobs and other things react to players based on that faction standing. For example, kill a lot of a certain mob that is normally non-hostile on sight could make them suddenly attack on sight or their vendors stop selling to you or the gate to their area wont open, etc.

-Clans, can be player made or made by the staff. Clans can own areas and rooms, they can have their own banks and post offices, and most of all they can conquer and possess areas. This seems like a fun way to have clans fighting over certain parts of the world.

Theres lots of docs to read up on, this page has some good ones: http://coffeemud.wikispaces.com/Building

Especially start with the Archon guide.

So the invite is there to talk about all this stuff. We could go to an irc channel or use some chat stuff or a forum, whatever.

I got nothing

Red

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 11:23:58 am »

I've read through some of the docs and gotten it running locally on my computer. There is a lot of neat stuff built into it, for sure. Another feature that I found interesting besides the ones that you mentioned was the legal system (http://coffeemud.wikispaces.com/SetupLegal) which we might be able to make use of.

As for talking about stuff, IRC would probably be a good idea.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 01:14:57 pm »

I've gotten it running my computer as well and it is pretty damn fun to build things with.
And yes, IRC sounds good.

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 04:13:00 pm »

Started a temporary IRC meeting place in case anyone is wanting to talk about this tonight. Will be idling for a few hours.

irc.newnet.net
#darkcitymud

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 07:44:48 pm »

I also created a channel earlier today but didnt have time to post it. It son the darkmyst server which is a pretty cool irc server for RPGs of all types.

irc.darkmyst.org
#darkcity

I have this channel registered with chanserv so we can keep it tidy.

i will also join your chan, mullet until we stabilize a location to be.

I got nothing

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 11:40:39 pm »

We had a very productive chat on IRC today, thanks guys! The legal system looks interesting! 

Also, scripting quests and mob behavior looks pretty easy, check this page out: http://coffeemud.wikispaces.com/ScriptingIntro
I got nothing

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 10:51:18 am »

small setback, my server is aparently already runing at max ram usage with 3GB installed. They say I should add 2GB, im getting a price quote on that but also considering hosting on my desktop machine here. We will get up and running soon! In the meantime keep practicing and learning about faction systems, etc.
I got nothing
Pages: [1] 2