Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 46

Author Topic: The "How Does Minecart" Thread  (Read 322196 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
The "How Does Minecart" Thread
« on: May 14, 2012, 12:24:09 pm »

Let's keep it orderly.  We have minecarts, we have a thread.  Post your findings and what you've done to find them.

Interface:
1: Each track section has a set of directions it can move in.  Moving in the "wrong" direction derails the cart.
2: Use the "h" interface to set routes, set conditions for launch, and assign carts to be used at certain places.

Constructed Track:
1: Track is built instead of floors and ramps.  Deconstruct a floor and replace it with track.

Carved Track:

Flight:
1: All carts seem to travel the same distance, no matter their materials - contents of carts yet untested.

Item Shotgun:
1: Items do not unstack (500 coins is still coin[500]), single items are better ammo than stacked items like bolts or coins.
2: If there is a roof above the tile where the cart suddenly stops, there will be no shotgun.  At least one tile of empty space must exist above the cart.

Creature Collision:
1: Dogs don't know how to dodge.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 10:57:56 pm by Girlinhat »

Broan13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "How Does Minecart" Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 12:27:10 pm »

Hmm so if the dogs can't dodge easily, perhaps somehow having two entrances might be needed, or putting dogs on restraints in specific locations?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 12:30:47 pm »

Animals universally ignore traffic orders, making them difficult to avoid minecarts in motion.  All animals should be put away from minecarts, or be put directly towards minecarts.  It depends on what you're trying to achieve.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 12:31:38 pm »

Hmm so if the dogs can't dodge easily, perhaps somehow having two entrances might be needed, or putting dogs on restraints in specific locations?
two dogs near the walls of the 3-wide hallway with the rail in the middle?

EDIT: do incendiary minecarts work? (spill magma everywhere and set stuff afire)

EDIT: also, does magma-heated content of the minecart (spears or bolts) transfer heat to goblins they hit, setting them afire?

EDIT: also, animals in non-magma-safe cages put into minecarts filled with magma. Would that work? ^W^W ah i just have to stop, it's driving me mad
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 12:37:25 pm by nanomage »

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 12:33:10 pm »

I can't see the problem with animals not being able to dodge minecarts.
Now your track can act as dekittenator at the same time.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 12:52:20 pm »

Remember to put a track stop on both ends of your track. I had a dwarf pushing the minecart back from the storeroom to my fort entrance. Every time it reached the end, it kept on going for 10 squares or so, *through* the wagon, and once ended up on an impassable square of my carpenter's workshop.

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 04:20:07 pm »

I've constructed a track and created a route with the hauling menu, but it keeps saying, "! Set dir/connect track".

The track is built out of NS, EW and one corner to connect them, with a stop at each end. I designated each stop in the hauling menu, set the directions (guide south when full at one, guide east when full at the other) but it drew a blue line through some solid rock. I tried putting a pair of stops on the corner with relevent directions, but the dwarves keep pushing the minecart along the floor instead of the tracks.

tl;dr, how does minecart route link with constructed minecart tracks?

Broan13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 05:23:11 pm »

Some lovely gentleman named Chris has posted a video on using minecarts to some effect.  There is much to be learned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD6qfB2oOB0

I wanted to be told the basics before losing 3 embarks to it.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 05:25:08 pm »

Hmm, can minecarts travel through water (i.e. under it, through 7/7 water)?

Could this potentially be a way to allow access to/exit from an underwater fortress, avoiding pathing issues - or a decontamination bath system?
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 05:34:17 pm »

Rollers use up 2 power per tile they are long, at least at the highest speed.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 05:37:41 pm »

Watching the first few minutes of the video, he implies you can order the cart to dump without going into a stockpile... Can you dump into a quantum chute onto a stockpile inside the fort?
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 05:43:34 pm »

Yes.  Stopping points can be ordered to dump, creating a quantum stockpile, an automatic pond filler, or both - automatically burn away useless goblinite and keep the good.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 05:44:44 pm »

My rollers seem to use zero power to function. They claim to need power, but then boost the cart anyway.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 09:01:27 pm »

My rollers seem to use zero power to function. They claim to need power, but then boost the cart anyway.

This is also the case for me.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 10:24:23 pm »

Has anyone been able to get a route to work if it has a branch in it? We can build them, but it seems routes don't allow them? :/

Oh, might have had something to do with building a N track, not a NS track (which would be required for the return route I planned).

Got it, I think, when you set the take from stockpile you also have to SPECIFY, by pressing enter, what to take from that stockpile.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 11:07:01 pm by TinyPirate »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 46