Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23

Author Topic: Skyscrapes 2: Height of the Living Dead (succession)  (Read 68226 times)

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Skyscrapes 2: Height of the Living Dead (succession)
« on: May 15, 2012, 09:21:55 pm »

As has been foretold in prophecy, dwarves rise again to stand over their great oppressor, the sky.

(Click to zoom, courtesy of Japa)

The sequel to the popular Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress. This time, with BEES (and nest boxes, minecarts, goblins...).

Rules:
 1. Each player has 1 in-game year to add another level to the tower.
 2. Each player can add 1-8 floors to the tower (since I don't think we'll reach 100 turns).
 3. All functional parts of the fort (i.e. bedrooms, workshops, dining halls, etc.) MUST be contained within the tower, above ground. The only exceptions are farms, mining for stone/ore, and stockpiles.
 4. The levels of the tower can be designed in any way you desire, as long as it won't easily collapse (e.g. with the pull of a lever). Be sure to roof over any sections of the tower you want to be considered "inside", as the next player might not put a floor down above it.
 5. Try to use up any stone you mine out; we don't want too much clutter. Making blocks is recommended for constructions.
 6. Modifying previous players' levels is allowed, to a certain extent. Try not to mess with the outer walls, or anything that looks like it would've taken a while to design/make.

NOTE: When you find out it's your turn, please post in the thread so you won't be skipped due to inactivity.
Once you have been notified of the start of your turn, you have one week after the PM was sent, or one week after you were last online last online, whichever comes first (minimum one day) to acknowledge your turn, otherwise you'll be skipped.
Turn List:
  • Graebeard
  • billybobfred
  • bmaczero
  • Microcline
  • Scruffy
  • TurkeyXIII
  • Sizik
  • jmnmaui
  • Lielac
  • Argembarger

Spoiler: Skipped (click to show/hide)

Note to people who've been skipped: If you asked to be skipped, you can take your turn anytime after the currently playing person, just ask.
If you were involuntarily skipped, you can only be added to the end of the list.

Color Key: In Line Awaiting Confirmation Active Completed Skipped (inactive/unresponsive) Skipped (voluntary)

Latest save.

Latest Map.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 09:15:02 am by Sizik »
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
Re: Skyscrapes 2: Scrape Harder!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 09:34:36 pm »

Posting to watch. didn't read the other thread but it looked epic. I'd like to be dorfed as a miner if possible
What do you think? Yes? No?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skyscrapes 2: Scrape Harder!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 09:42:00 pm »

I wanna be the first male military leader.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skyscrapes 2: Scrape Harder! (succession)
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 10:51:16 pm »

I wouldn't mind a turn, maybe year 5?

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 01:17:01 am »

In!

Answers:

What size embark do we want?  I vote 4x4 or so, depending on the location.  FPS has improved to the point that a 2x2 embark isn't required any more to keep decent performance.

How big should the caverns be?  I prefer shallow (5-9 level-ish) caverns that are wide open.  There's no need for 100+ underground levels if we're spending all our time topside.

Do we want to be in a terrifying biome right next to a goblin fortress and a necromancer tower?  With an open, above ground design, clouds and dust are nearly guaranteed to insta-kill the fort a few turns in, so I think we should avoid those.  Might also be good to have part of the map not automatically re-raise the dead for logistical reasons.  That said, I'd prefer to see as many invaders (undead and otherwise) as possible.

Do we want any cool mods?  I don't generally use mods, so I don't have anything to add here.  I'm down to try whatever, but I suggest erring on the side of fewer mods in the hope of preventing compatibility issues down the road.

Gotta say.  Really looking forward to playing around with the new mechanics in the context of a tower succession fort.
At last, she is done.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 03:36:12 am »

PTW! Minecarts and skyscrapes go!
EDIT:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Tl/DR
Embark 3x3 or 4x4 (more than 100 above ground if possible)
Caverns ONLY 1, but large and open
No to terrifying, YES to Zombie neighbours.
Mods: No.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 03:52:54 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 05:21:32 am »

i would like to have a turn
i dont think terrifying is that bad but make sure not the entire map is terrifying.
i dont care about the size.
as many enemies as possible.
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 06:13:44 am »

Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.

I'd love a turn. I support big caverns for a project like this because they are an excellent way to easily prospect colored stones, plus you can get all the cool subterranean wood. I also support aquifer for water hijinx and a sedimentary flux layer for steel. Prefer vanilla.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 07:50:59 am »

I'll be watching for sure! Unfortunatly life doesn't allow for much dedicated DF time, so I can't join.
My only request is someone make another solid gold trade depot for me! (and road of course). My one true contribution to the last tower.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 08:38:10 am »

No to terrifying, 'meh' to zombie neighbors.

Make sure we have dwarfs, humans, and elves.

For mods, the only thing I'd suggest is using dfhack to fix the traders.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 10:43:59 am »

Embark 3x3 or 4x4 (more than 100 above ground if possible)

This.  We're going to need more Z's if we're going to top (heh) Skyscrapes The Elder.  I say go for whatever (reasonable) map size is required to fit in more Z's on top of the 100 sky levels.

I vote we strip away most of the caverns, 1 is plenty enough to get some fun and FB's and i would like the openness factor set much higher so we get some nice underground gallerys.

Won't we miss out on some creatures and lots of pretty wood if we only do 1 cavern?  We may also want more than 1 to allow for more stone variety.  We don't need a lot of Z's for sheer material, but we do want enough to provide an interesting variety.

Also, this probably goes without saying, but sand is an absolute must.  So is flowing water.  I'm fine with either a river or an aquifer.
At last, she is done.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 12:38:06 pm »

Cavern creatures can just be edited to appear in the first cavern layer, just like all the other underground trees to grow there too, for the sake of variety. Since I had to post here, I might as well apply for a turn too.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 04:48:32 pm »

I'll take turn two since its unclaimed. As a note, with 08, masons make four blocks per rock, so they're pretty much necessary for any megaprojects now. it will be weird though playing in a fort that runs close to 100 FPS though again (might have to fiddle with my FPS cap to make it slower ...)
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 07:59:39 pm »

I'll take a turn
Meh to terrifying
I will dwarf myself
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:08:24 pm by wypie »

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 08:02:40 pm »

Depending on my workload I might take a turn later on (maybe turn 10 or so). Until then, Dorf me please, Saint Iridkonos, Monk Errant. Aboveground forts are fun! (I mean that both ways).

Aquifer would be good if we're in a cold climate, as an emergency water supply if the booze runs dry, but if we're not somewhere that exposed water will freeze a river would be best. Do all tower segments have to be circular or can they be more...organic?

Also, maybe 1-2 shallow cavern layers. Should give more variety than just one, and allow more underground space if somebody wants to do something ridiculous like, say, carve a shaft to magma sea level and use the bottom as a new base for the tower...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:05:05 pm by StLeibowitz »
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23