Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23

Author Topic: Skyscrapes 2: Height of the Living Dead (succession)  (Read 68404 times)

jesternario

• Bay Watcher
  • Round 1! DANCE!
    • View Profile
Re: Skyscrapes 2: Scrape Harder! (succession)
« Reply #255 on: December 21, 2012, 10:28:44 pm »

Well, instead of being sieged by an endless horde of undead monsters we would be sieged by an endless horde of BURNING undead monsters (and our backyard would be covered in lava)

Magma only destroys corpses so the zombies would have to die first.

Edit: So, feel free to do it. Sounds fun.

Okay, so you build BALISTAS alongside the magma cannon. I see no problem there.

Why haven't you guys build balistas yet?
You are never lost as long as you have a trusty and reliable Compass. Mine kept pointing North, so I just removed the red Needle! Problem solved!

Then I proceeded to pick up the rest of the bunnies, the masterfully crafted bronze statue, and its head. The head will be his trophy... But I need money.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 22, 2012, 12:12:12 pm »

Well, instead of being sieged by an endless horde of undead monsters we would be sieged by an endless horde of BURNING undead monsters (and our backyard would be covered in lava)

Magma only destroys corpses so the zombies would have to die first.

Edit: So, feel free to do it. Sounds fun.

Okay, so you build BALISTAS alongside the magma cannon. I see no problem there.

Why haven't you guys build balistas yet?
Balistas are decorative only in my opinion since they do very little damage.
They have very poor combat effectiveness and are manned by cowards (civilian dwarves).
That is probably why no one has built them yet.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

jesternario

• Bay Watcher
  • Round 1! DANCE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 22, 2012, 05:38:08 pm »

They have very poor combat effectiveness and are manned by cowards (civilian dwarves).

They may not be military, but if you want to get rid of the necromancers, it is best to use everything at your disposal, isn't it?
You are never lost as long as you have a trusty and reliable Compass. Mine kept pointing North, so I just removed the red Needle! Problem solved!

Then I proceeded to pick up the rest of the bunnies, the masterfully crafted bronze statue, and its head. The head will be his trophy... But I need money.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 22, 2012, 06:04:38 pm »

They may not be military, but if you want to get rid of the necromancers, it is best to use everything at your disposal, isn't it?
This is the problem with them being non-military as described on the wiki.
Siege operators are "civilians", and as such they will run in fear if enemy units come too close to them. "Too close" varies somewhat, but may be as far as 10 tiles
If you had a lot of dwarves you might be able to use mass ballistas to detect necromancers through stray shots but it would hard to keep operating all the time since you need a lot of wood to build ballistas and ballista ammo.
I have built flanking five ballista emplacements before and all it did to goblin sieges is make them leave a little faster because they were very bruised.
It looked cool but did not work very well.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

jesternario

• Bay Watcher
  • Round 1! DANCE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 22, 2012, 07:00:33 pm »

Every little bit helps. Train military, then use the balistas to support them. I only suggest ballistas because it was established that all a magma cannon would do is make burning zombies (and maybe kill a necromancer). Can you train necromancers?

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 23, 2012, 01:22:54 am »

For anyone who wants a peek at how the fortress is doing, here's the map from TurkeyXIII's turn.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-11523-skyscrapes2

Good luck Sizik.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 04, 2013, 03:06:45 am »

Progress is slow, but steady.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 04, 2013, 11:03:03 pm »

Huzza for progress!  I plan to tender my resignation to my boss on Monday.  Depending on how things go, I could have some good time for a turn in the next few weeks.
At last, she is done.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 07, 2013, 09:53:23 pm »

At last, it is done.  I am now gainfully unemployed.

All of a sudden I have time in my life for the things I've been missing (like DF).  Can I haz bump in turn list?
At last, she is done.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 08, 2013, 07:26:00 am »

At last, it is done.  I am now gainfully unemployed.

All of a sudden I have time in my life for the things I've been missing (like DF).  Can I haz bump in turn list?

Haha congratulations! Truly a promotion!

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 13, 2013, 09:18:17 pm »

"The executions have started. Due to the overabundance of prisoners and the danger of keeping therm around (especially the "necromancers"), the Administration has declared a "no quarter" policy. At least, that's that the rumors say. But I believe them to be true, and I have evidence! Last month, a mechanic friend of mine was contracted to do the mechanics on the new "garbage disposal" that they've been advertising. They say it's part of a program to prevent any "undead incursions", by pulverizing any animal remains until they are naught but dust, unable to be "animated with unlife". This is partially true, and I myself have seen the effectiveness of the contraption at disposing of waste. But consider the size of the machine! Most dwarves have not seen it, since it is underground, only accessible by a small, standard-issue refuse chute, and a maintenance door that is kept tightly locked and under heavy surveillance. As it was described to me, it is large enough for a fine-quality dining hall, or even a very fancy trading depot. Why would they need this much space, when the refuse is only going to be dropping from one small corner of the room? Everyone knows that dwarven garbage chutes are designed to pack the waste into the smallest possible area, so why would they need this much space?

"Now normally, this wouldn't cause too much concern, even in myself. Dwarves are, in fact, prone to over-engineer solutions to the simplest problems. But that's not the end of the peculiarities. A few weeks ago, I caught up with another friend of mine, a furniture hauler. He mentioned they were building a new prison facility, deep underground. I remembered the Administration mentioning something about upgrading prison facilities in their latest propaganda missives, but I took it for more of their empty promises. It turns out that they are stripping the prisoners of all their possessions, and are in fact relocating them to a new facility. A new facility that, based on my friend's description, sound all too similar to the new trash compactor. He also mentioned how the cages were being fitted for release mechanisms. This makes no sense! Why would they put releases on the cages unless they were going to release the prisoners at some point? And why would they release them, unless they planned to kill them?!

"Last night, when the machine was scheduled to go on full operation, I snuck in. Not into the machine itself, but to the maintenance door. It was locked as usual, but I could hear what was going on inside. There were noises; voices, groans, and confused speech I couldn't make out. There shouldn't be anyone else in there, I thought. Then one of them got close to the door, and I could hear him more clearly. He was speaking goblin, he must have been one of the prisoners! A few minutes later, I heard that familiar rumbling; the machine was starting up. The noises turned into more confusion, then panic, followed be screams and shouts, then silence. The machine reset itself and no more noise came from the room. I was horrified. I then heard some noises down the hallway, and crept out as fast as I could while remaining silent.

"First invaders. Next will come criminals. Then dwarves who fail mandates. Then anyone who dares to speak against our so-called Glorious Administration. I am writing this diary in hopes that if I am captured, it will outlive me, and spread the word. Or perhaps if they fluoridate the booze supply, and I am no longer thinking with my right mind, it will remind myself of the truth, and help break free the shackles of oppression we are sure to be living under. It's been years since we've heard from the outside world. They tell us that we are surrounded by hordes of the undead, but all of that's just a cover up to keep us from going outside the walls, keeping us slaves to the government.

"I think they're on to me. I will have to go into hiding. But then, they will search for me, and I will be unable to spread the truth. Thus I will have to hide in plain sight, where they will think that I am no longer a threat, but only a babbling madman. It's the perfect ploy, as that's what they paint me as, so that is what I will become. Those who care to listen, however will find clues, methods in the madness, hints to the greater truth that the greater powers try to conceal from us. And if they piece together the clues, they may even find this diary, where the truth is exposed in plain writing. This shall be my last entry. To those reading this, fight. Fight against the tyranny and oppression of the Administration. Fight against deception and trickery. And above all, fight for the Truth."

-Diary of Ast Kosothmörul

Side note: Skyscrapes 1 needs only 2 more votes to be inducted into the Hall of Legends.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 09:35:17 pm by Sizik »

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 14, 2013, 12:54:34 am »

I am intrigued.  Atom smasher, or something a bit more elaborate?
At last, she is done.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 14, 2013, 03:45:18 am »

Yeah, it's just an atom smasher.

OR IS IT?

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 16, 2013, 07:28:20 pm »

Done.

Save
Map

Next up is Microcline, unless Graebeard (or anyone in the orange list) would like to hop in.

Things of note:
There is an atom smasher on the first underground level. Dwarves can dump in garbage, corpses, or pit unfriendly creatures from the hole above. There is also space for cages to be built, for mass executions, creatures too dangerous to be pitted (like zombie kea), and enemy dwarves (which can't be pitted or moved to a different cage).

I finished up the first and second floors of the east tower, and created some inter-tower passages. Doing work on the western towers is tough due to the frightening undead on the mountainside, but construction on the east can be made easier by creating a ramp up to where the wall will be built, minimizing exposure to scary things (still have to repeatedly unsuspend the jobs though).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 07:36:33 pm by Sizik »

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 16, 2013, 10:25:43 pm »

Done.

Save
Map

Next up is Microcline, unless Graebeard (or anyone in the orange list) would like to hop in.

Things of note:
There is an atom smasher on the first underground level. Dwarves can dump in garbage, corpses, or pit unfriendly creatures from the hole above. There is also space for cages to be built, for mass executions, creatures too dangerous to be pitted (like zombie kea), and enemy dwarves (which can't be pitted or moved to a different cage).

I finished up the first and second floors of the east tower, and created some inter-tower passages. Doing work on the western towers is tough due to the frightening undead on the mountainside, but construction on the east can be made easier by creating a ramp up to where the wall will be built, minimizing exposure to scary things (still have to repeatedly unsuspend the jobs though).

I think Graebeard has priority over Scruffy and myself because he was prompt about skipping his turn.  Well that, and that I really like seeing the things he builds.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23