Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Malevolence - The INFINITE RPG!  (Read 10670 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Malevolence - The INFINITE RPG!
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2012, 12:27:20 pm »

So... basically, they can sell different seeds on their own on a later date?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2012, 04:33:48 pm »

What the hell is the point in that? The only thing procedural generation has going for it is large size possible size and randomness, so they are taking half of that out. Maybe the time spent making sure the generation does not fuck up could have been better spent world building. I'd rather have a large interesting world then a massive boring world.

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2014, 01:06:14 am »

Apparently there is a huge update + Steam early access release coming later today.

Also...this game seems good? I don't know but I'm kinda sold :D Anyone here played it yet?

Steam link
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 01:08:31 am by yarr »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2014, 06:08:34 am »

I've played this before - probably a bit before Christmas - and whilst I really liked the idea of it (a lot!) and really wanted to like it, I played it for a few hours but I wasn't too keen on it at the time. I really, really hope that the game does well and I did pledge, so that should be some indication, but there were some problems with it which made it a very 'meh' experience for me.

Firstly, you have a grid that you walk about (ala M&M) but when you reach the edge of the area you have to wait to load the next 'chunk' - whilst this is fine in a tightly packed game and it doesn't take long, it felt really sluggish to me waiting for the next area to load after you've basically just walked over a bit of field with nothing in. This is just the general problem of procedural generation for a 3d game, it just felt bare and as mentioned before, mainly a lot of trees and rocks. Staggered loading would improve this massively, and more graphical improvements (which seem to have come along) would help it be more manageable.

I also felt like the general feeling of the world wasn't very fleshed out (again a problem with procedural gen) - it's a very standard EotB fare, and whilst that's fine, I just didn't feel like any part of it stood out enough to make me want to persist over a slow and procedural world. The combat was basic, the spells and monsters very DnD standard and the loot wasn't particularly interesting. Again, nothing wrong with it, but with no strong story/world around these elements, it felt a bit flat. Also,the UI looks to have been overhauled but it was grim before, so I want to see a lot more about that before I even attempt it again.

I feel with some big overhauls and daring design changes it could be fantastic, so I'd definitely recommend supporting/following it, but all of the problems/fears people have had in this thread are mainly on target unfortunately.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2014, 07:49:17 am »

Minecraft takes not hours but over a month to reach world edge while running at max speed in a straight line. At some point all practical difference between very large and infinite vanishes.

"...then one day a young Steve set out to find the edge of the world.
The elders scolded and laughed at him, for they knew the world was truly flat and infinite.
But the young Steve knew there must be an edge, and so he set out..."

Lithare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2014, 12:18:06 pm »

Looks very interesting.  Posting so I can remember to look up more when I get home from work.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2014, 01:44:54 pm »

Seems to have good reviews on Steam, but I'd really like a Bay12-er opinion before I spend!

bQt31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2014, 01:57:02 pm »

Looks cool but I'm kind of sick of early access  :(

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2014, 03:13:23 pm »

Minecraft takes not hours but over a month to reach world edge while running at max speed in a straight line. At some point all practical difference between very large and infinite vanishes.

If that is not enough it is fairly straightforward to use 128 bit integers for coordinates everywhere for about a million times size of our universe at 1 um precision. A good pseudo-random number generator would be needed to procedurely populate it without total repetitions.
You would probably run into memory limitation before that.
._.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2014, 05:52:11 pm »

Why? You'd just offload it to disk and free that memory. You might run into disk space limitations, but not ram limitations. You don't have to load the whole world/universe at once. Or even generate it all at once, as it's not random but procedural.

Anyway, is this any good? And is the seed the game ships with just the "standard" world (ie: we can gen others if we want), or is it the only world but very (infinitely) large?
It's a game. Have fun.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2014, 09:12:17 am »

Anyway, is this any good? And is the seed the game ships with just the "standard" world (ie: we can gen others if we want), or is it the only world but very (infinitely) large?

It's only one world, but it is basically 'infinite' - it's just one seed (like in minecraft) that everyone shares. This is good in some ways as you can share locations and as you all start in the same place they've been able to impose some extra story elements near the starting area.

Seems to have good reviews on Steam, but I'd really like a Bay12-er opinion before I spend!
As I say, I wasn't too impressed with it when I tried it - it was too unpolished for me (garish menus/GUI graphics) and there seemed to be little atmosphere or (if you'll excuse the slightly melodramatic wording) soul in it. Very standard combat, very standard loot and very standard monsters, which aren't really helped by a procedural generated world.

However, I have high hopes for it in the future if they keep on with it (although they're talking about a sequel now...), so it might be worth buying to support as I think with some big design improvements, more interesting content and stuff it could be very good. 
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2014, 09:54:02 am »

Bought it and I don't like it :(

The graphics are really offputting. I don't know how to describe it, yeah it looks "oldschool" but in a bad way.
The combat is...quite dumb actually, you stand there and left click 100 times. When you're low on hp drink a potion/heal spell.
Resting gets interrupted 95% of the time in my opinion.
Traps are a nightmare. I was having a "longer" session with a level 3 character (takes time to get to level 3 really) and I stepped into a spike-pit trap or something -> instant dead.
Loading areas takes far too long. Not outside tho, outside everything is ok, but enter a dungeon/town and you can take a shower while it loads. I don't know any other modern game that loads this long.

So, I cannot recommend it unfortunately :) Save your money

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2014, 12:01:45 pm »

Bought it and I don't like it :(

The graphics are really offputting. I don't know how to describe it, yeah it looks "oldschool" but in a bad way.
The combat is...quite dumb actually, you stand there and left click 100 times. When you're low on hp drink a potion/heal spell.
Resting gets interrupted 95% of the time in my opinion.
Traps are a nightmare. I was having a "longer" session with a level 3 character (takes time to get to level 3 really) and I stepped into a spike-pit trap or something -> instant dead.
Loading areas takes far too long. Not outside tho, outside everything is ok, but enter a dungeon/town and you can take a shower while it loads. I don't know any other modern game that loads this long.

So, I cannot recommend it unfortunately :) Save your money

I'd have to agree with most of this, although loading areas weren't too bad in actual length for me but as it's constant it just sort of wears you down. The graphic style is terrible though, although the kickstarter was supposed to fix a lot of that/they seem to know a lot of it is pretty bad and really jarring.

The combat and magic is supposed to be getting a big overhaul soon as well.

I'm sort of confident that it could get better and I really like some of the ideas, but probably worth holding off (or buying just to support) in the hope of further work on it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]