Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Worldgen - Evil Volcano and Absurd lines of defense.  (Read 3218 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Worldgen - Evil Volcano and Absurd lines of defense.
« on: June 10, 2012, 02:15:06 am »

I have never seen such a thing, but I have just genned a world with one. What horrors await Mr. Beard and his wife, Doctor Winky?

You should see the place the dwarves have set up for themselves, though. Two dwarven civilization began in this place and radiated outward, through the mountains to the east and west. I'd upload, but modded races are involved.

It is surrounded by impassable mountains, and there is only one way in. To get in you'd have to fight past two dwarven mountainhomes (three if you count the volcano on the far right, which has a fort built on top of it), then a narrow path through jungle, and then there is a river you have to sail down, so I hope you carried some boats or something through the jungle. Not that it will help, since the river is populated by elves, who are allies with the dwarves it seems. Then there is ANOTHER DWARVEN FORT.

After all this, you can get to the innermost mountainhome. Which is across a river and also a fort. Also the elves have populated near every non-mountain tile within. Mind you that this covers only the major mountainhomes along the way, not the many smaller ones along the roads. And this is year 100.

These are high elves, by the way, who I modded in to be taller, more intellectual, less agile, and use metals. The only downside (?) is that it is hot and tropical. Guess they'll have to swim in their huge freshwater good-aligned lake within the valley to cool down. There's even flux and multiple metals. Here's a screen. That's the southern border of the world there, and it's quite impassable from the north, though the screen doesn't show it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

::EDIT::
Heres the worldgen. The evil volcano is in the northern half, the eastmost of a cluster of volcanoes.

One more thing. In the far northwest is some embark where you can have evil mountain and good forest in the same embark. enjoy.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 02:59:11 am by dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen - Evil Volcano and Absurd lines of defense.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 02:22:10 am »

No need to upload, maybe just share the seeds and settings used in this world.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 02:28:52 am »

Where can I get that from? Where is the file, I mean.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 02:41:27 am »

Start Legends mode, hit 'p' and open the file region1-world_gen_param.txt. Copy the text, then reply to this thread, hit 'Insert Code' above (the # button) and paste it in.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 02:51:30 am »

I like my megabeasts and volcanoes, you may note.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 05:38:03 am »

If you've used modded races, you'll have to upload the raws used to get anything vaguely similar out of the worldgen.

vidboi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 06:30:25 am »

If you've used modded races, you'll have to upload the raws used to get anything vaguely similar out of the worldgen.

No you don't. Admittedly the settlements won't be in the same place but your average raw changes have no effect on the geology.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 06:51:27 am »

No you don't. Admittedly the settlements won't be in the same place but your average raw changes have no effect on the geology.

Considering that his primary point here is the defensibility with the sites, I'd say that's a fairly major shift.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 01:53:31 pm »

Honestly, There could be only dwarves back there and it'd be the haven of safe havens. Also, a world with evil volcanoes and multiple good+evil embarks? sounds valuable to me regardless.