Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Already available military management tools. What's available?  (Read 954 times)

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey guys, really, the title really is what I want to get at here. I find the military screen a pain to work. I know how to and want to do things that the tediousness of the process prevents me from doing without committing a lot of time to it. For instance matching up suitable dwarves in and out of squads. I find myself consulting dwarf therapist on top of the relevant and varied in game menus for quicker details in terms of whether the dwarves can handle stress and what military skills they have and then trying to find the buggers in game to see if they have a bunch of kids and arn't missing hands etc. Looking through the long unsorted detail poor lists isn't fun either.

Has anyone managed to create a tool to deal with all organizing the military?

Something that lets you quickly put squads together, move dwarves around, quickly see relevant skills and other details, and also lets you deal with schedules and alerts?

I'm assuming no, since I've never heard of such a thing but I'm hopeful. If I had the programming chops and the free time I'd take on the ambitious goal of creating such a tool although I am not beyond taking part is some sort of collaboration to the end of something like that. Does anyone know of anything? Again, if such a program existed already I'd assume it'd be as universally employed as dwarf therapist is. Its also entirely possible I've just not dug deeply enough around here to find something that serves those goals. If so, please direct me :) Thanks!

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Already available military management tools. What's available?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 04:25:45 am »

There's none, but if you're using the latest version, military organization became a tad easier. You can name squads, or draft dwarves into the military by 'v' selecting them.

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 04:45:24 am »

maybe it's because i never played with old military stuff, but i find the military menu very easy to grasp

the only thing i hate is not being able to create a squad template with also schedules, ammunition food/drink settings

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 09:11:34 am »

Thanks for the responses!
That is another reason to update I guess.
I suppose I had some trouble learning the system but I get it now. I just wish there were tools to streamline managing it and put all the relevant info I want to see in one place for me. At the moment it requires a lot of cross checking to do properly. Like in the version of the game I currently play looking through the list of people to add to a squad doesn't even tell me if that dwarf already is in a squad or any relevant info about his skills. I need to use dwarf therapist for all that and even then its rather tedious. :(
Templates would be nice too.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 10:19:41 am »

It does tell you if he's already in a squad; it's mentioned near the top of the screen.

I label migrants with custom profession if I think they'll make a good soldier.  Then finding dorfs for a squad is a matter of going through the list looking at professions.
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.