Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490650 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #1350 on: May 07, 2014, 05:54:15 pm »

It's not a victory for the xenos scum, that's for sure.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #1351 on: May 07, 2014, 06:09:28 pm »

Just remember, if you don't attempt immortality by chopping your head off with an auto-decapitator and auto-linker to an auto-sustainer, its just committing suicide!   

And if you don't take rigorous notes, film it, and upload the documents to the masses in case you fail, so that they may improve their chances, its immoral!
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: May 07, 2014, 07:11:03 pm »

Really, all we need to do is support the brain to achieve immortality.

That's all the body is: Support system for the brain. Well, non-evolutionary speaking.

Step 1: Support the brain outside of the human body.

Step 2: Translate the brain to something indefinitely durable. I.E. won't succumb to Alzheimer, dementia, brain-damage, etc.

Whether that's brain-uploading (which has it's own philosophical issues) or replacing the neurons with a more durable analog, or basically bolting on new hard-drives to your brain that the brain can, over time, migrate into as new connections are formed and the various functions of the brain (memory, learning, sensation, thought, etc) are taken up by the silicon brain. Then even if you lose your original meat-brain, it'd be no more of an issue for you than if you were to lose a few dozen brain-cells right now. Relatively minor loss, getting even more minor as you bolt on more and more space and take it up. Basically the same as the second way, with some differences. (I.E. bolting on whole-cloth parts and waiting for it to be engaged versus replacing each connection individually, keeping the original connections versus making them irrelevant, retaining some semblence of the original neural structure versus "Eh, as long as it thinks, nevermind the structure" of bolt-on)

Bam, immortality. All you need now is some way to manipulate reality (hands, or radio-controlled nano-particles, or organic meat-sacks grown around a radio receiver instead of a brain, whatever) and to sense reality (cameras, aforementioned meat-sacks) and you're golden~
The mechanism and materials of the brain are both integral parts of what makes us think the way we do. To change either or both would fundamentally alter your thought patterns. It's not even you anymore.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: May 07, 2014, 07:15:09 pm »

Really, all we need to do is support the brain to achieve immortality.

That's all the body is: Support system for the brain. Well, non-evolutionary speaking.

Step 1: Support the brain outside of the human body.

Step 2: Translate the brain to something indefinitely durable. I.E. won't succumb to Alzheimer, dementia, brain-damage, etc.

Whether that's brain-uploading (which has it's own philosophical issues) or replacing the neurons with a more durable analog, or basically bolting on new hard-drives to your brain that the brain can, over time, migrate into as new connections are formed and the various functions of the brain (memory, learning, sensation, thought, etc) are taken up by the silicon brain. Then even if you lose your original meat-brain, it'd be no more of an issue for you than if you were to lose a few dozen brain-cells right now. Relatively minor loss, getting even more minor as you bolt on more and more space and take it up. Basically the same as the second way, with some differences. (I.E. bolting on whole-cloth parts and waiting for it to be engaged versus replacing each connection individually, keeping the original connections versus making them irrelevant, retaining some semblence of the original neural structure versus "Eh, as long as it thinks, nevermind the structure" of bolt-on)

Bam, immortality. All you need now is some way to manipulate reality (hands, or radio-controlled nano-particles, or organic meat-sacks grown around a radio receiver instead of a brain, whatever) and to sense reality (cameras, aforementioned meat-sacks) and you're golden~
The mechanism and materials of the brain are both integral parts of what makes us think the way we do. To change either or both would fundamentally alter your thought patterns. It's not even you anymore.
I don't think that's scientifically proven. We need to perform some of those brain-computer substitution experiments before we can conclude anything.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: May 07, 2014, 07:22:42 pm »

I don't think that's scientifically proven. We need to perform some of those brain-computer substitution experiments before we can conclude anything.
It's like the difference between an aluminum car and a stainless steel car. Even if they perform the same basic functions, there's no getting around the quirks involving the specific materials.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: May 07, 2014, 07:25:19 pm »

Your thought processes are (as far as we know) emergent and not an intrinsic part of your brain, so we should be able to emulate it reasonably without much difference.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: May 07, 2014, 07:27:47 pm »

It's like the difference between an aluminum car and a stainless steel car. Even if they perform the same basic functions, there's no getting around the quirks involving the specific materials.
Still, we don't know yet if replacing, for example, your dopaminergic neurons with artificial nanomachine-installed ones to treat Alzheimer's will cause you to think or process emotions differently. All we have is guesswork and science fiction right now.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: May 07, 2014, 07:32:50 pm »

Your thought processes are (as far as we know) emergent and not an intrinsic part of your brain, so we should be able to emulate it reasonably without much difference.
How much is too much?

Also, most of the specific processes are emergent (except maybe instinct?), but how they emerge and develop is a result of the brain structure. Just as the composition of the soil and water affect the plants growing in them, the composition of the brain affects how thought develops.

I'm sorry if this is kinda turning into the psychological transhuman thread again.

Still, we don't know yet if replacing, for example, your dopaminergic neurons with artificial nanomachine-installed ones to treat Alzheimer's will cause you to think or process emotions differently. All we have is guesswork and science fiction right now.
I suppose experiments would need to be conducted to reinforce it, but I am 100% confident in my statement as of this moment, and whenever I had brought it up on this forum. I would gladly put my money where my mouth is, so to speak.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: May 07, 2014, 07:42:19 pm »

*shrug*

I see no reason for the components of the brain to have such an impact on the brain that changing the components would eradicate your "you"ness.

Change, sure. But the whole bloody thing is changing, what's one more?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: May 07, 2014, 07:49:56 pm »

*shrug*

I see no reason for the components of the brain to have such an impact on the brain that changing the components would eradicate your "you"ness.

Change, sure. But the whole bloody thing is changing, what's one more?
Tzeentch finds your acceptance of change pleasing.

Anyway, I am all for gathering of proper scientific data. If it turns out that having a computer grafted to your brain turns you into HAL, then it's bad and not going to be done. If it just makes you slightly more calm/irritable/humorless/whatever, then we'll need to do the whole cost/benefit analysis.

Besides, there is that entire topic of how much your sense of self is defined by what factors. If we say that simply having your personality shift is equivalent to death of said "self", then it turns out that people die multiple times throughout their lives simply due to intristic brain development patterns.

Again, the whole brain thing needs research.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 07:56:16 pm by Knit tie »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: May 07, 2014, 08:04:24 pm »

Frumple is entirely comfortable with Frumple's future decaying old-person body being converted into an effectively-immortal knowledge bot, and damn the potential personality changes. It's a helluva' lot more interesting legacy than some people that remember you (for maybe another few decades or something) and either some worm food or a pile of ashes. And some terrible misrepresentations in a history book if you're really lucky.

And if it has to be done younger, well, creating something from my flesh that will continue to actively interact with the world for centuries into the future as a direct legacy of my will is fine, too. Damn sight better than anything anyone can manage otherwise, really. I'd call that worth my brain, personally.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: May 07, 2014, 08:08:12 pm »

Frumple is entirely comfortable with Frumple's future decaying old-person body being converted into an effectively-immortal knowledge bot, and damn the potential personality changes. It's a helluva' lot more interesting legacy than some people that remember you (for maybe another few decades or something) and either some worm food or a pile of ashes. And some terrible misrepresentations in a history book if you're really lucky.

And if it has to be done younger, well, creating something from my flesh that will continue to actively interact with the world for centuries into the future as a direct legacy of my will is fine, too. Damn sight better than anything anyone can manage otherwise, really. I'd call that worth my brain, personally.
* Transhuman-fist bump.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: May 07, 2014, 08:10:06 pm »

How much is too much?

I dunno, I'm pretty sure my brain is made up of entirely different parts than it was 10 years ago.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: May 07, 2014, 08:13:49 pm »

How much is too much?

I dunno, I'm pretty sure my brain is made up of entirely different parts than it was 10 years ago.
Ah, but you see, neurons are highly conserved, which means that a lot of the cells that make up your brain right now are the same cells you were born with.

Also, transhumanism thread Y/N?

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: May 07, 2014, 08:25:01 pm »

I for one, believe the method of achieving immortality is as important as the immortality itself. Why not just increase the longevity of the biological tissue instead of replacing it completely? I hold the biological (especially genetic) integrity of the human species very highly. I feel that to consciously manipulate the individual genes is crossing the line, and that it is different from natural evolution, in a cultural sense (which is also important).

Do the ends really justify the means?

Also, transhumanism thread Y/N?
I guess Y, because I feel VERY strongly about this, and it's reasonably related.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 339