Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 489825 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #1590 on: June 24, 2014, 06:22:41 am »

in the end none of us will be right

* LordSlowpoke munches on ice cream cone

seriously though soli just said they don't want to continue stop pursuing

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: June 24, 2014, 06:28:57 am »

Well.

You can't say someone's wrong and then end the discussion.

There are rules in place.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: June 24, 2014, 06:39:59 am »

In other news, the discovery of Higgs boson has not changed anything.

How surprising.
._.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: June 24, 2014, 06:41:43 am »

How surprising.
Well yes, I suppose not for you. Or not that you noticed.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: June 24, 2014, 07:14:28 am »

How surprising.
So please tell me, what has the discovery of Higgs boson changed?
._.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: June 24, 2014, 07:18:31 am »

Sub atomic particle physics mainly. It'll take a year or 20 before the effects manifest themselves on a major scale.

But just look at the past. Quantum physics, General Relativity and all those hard, pure sciences were probably not understood as having any benefit whatsoever. But currently, your computer is most likely using all of these somewhere in it's operation.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: June 24, 2014, 07:19:50 am »

I don't think the point of discovering it was so much what it would change but rather it would confirm that which we suspected to be true. Correct me if I'm wrong of course, I'm no physicist.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: June 24, 2014, 07:31:01 am »

I don't think the point of discovering it was so much what it would change but rather it would confirm that which we suspected to be true. Correct me if I'm wrong of course, I'm no physicist.
Yeah, that as well. The entire particle physics model rested on it.

Would have been much more interesting if we hadn't found it really. Allowing us to rewrite physics as we know it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: June 24, 2014, 11:34:50 am »

How surprising.

If you think it was supposed to change anything, you completely misunderstand why we were looking for it. It was intended to confirm what we already know. We knew it should exist. It does exist. We were right again. That's what we were looking for, more evidence for the Standard Model, which is exactly what we found. The more accurate we find the Standard Model to be, the more reliable we can consider its use. It's a damn good result. Besides, expecting results within years is foolish. Yeah, Nuclear Fission was discovered 7 years before its first actual practical usage, but that's because it had the Total War-level backing of the United States government funding it. We'd known about electricity for thousands of years and had utilized it for hundreds before we invented the light bulb. People who say shit like "but what use does it have???" do nothing but block progress and keep us from moving forward, so don't.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: June 24, 2014, 12:09:49 pm »

How surprising.

If you think it was supposed to change anything, you completely misunderstand why we were looking for it. It was intended to confirm what we already know. We knew it should exist. It does exist. We were right again. That's what we were looking for, more evidence for the Standard Model, which is exactly what we found. The more accurate we find the Standard Model to be, the more reliable we can consider its use. It's a damn good result. Besides, expecting results within years is foolish. Yeah, Nuclear Fission was discovered 7 years before its first actual practical usage, but that's because it had the Total War-level backing of the United States government funding it. We'd known about electricity for thousands of years and had utilized it for hundreds before we invented the light bulb. People who say shit like "but what use does it have???" do nothing but block progress and keep us from moving forward, so don't.
But that's the problem. The Standard model was already proved right, many times. But there are no ways to advance it further. That's the problem.
._.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: June 24, 2014, 12:12:40 pm »

There are many ways to advance it further. They might not be evident now, but they're there. Science is never complete.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: June 24, 2014, 12:20:44 pm »

There are many ways to advance it further. They might not be evident now, but they're there. Science is never complete.
Well yes, but since 1980s no way has been found. Compare that to the previous rapid advances in elementary particle science, and you'll see the problem.

This should be a good read about what's wrong with modern science.

._.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: June 24, 2014, 12:27:48 pm »

The Standard Model is not String Theory. They are two very, very different things.

Also, it was never proven right. It cannot be proven right. It's become more and more accurate over time. That's actually important, believe it or not.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: June 24, 2014, 12:29:37 pm »

The Standard Model is not String Theory. They are two very, very different things.

Also, it was never proven right. It cannot be proven right. It's become more and more accurate over time. That's actually important, believe it or not.
The string theory is the theory that was supposed to replace the standard model...

The standard model cannot predict masses of elementary particles and that is the big problem.
._.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: June 24, 2014, 12:35:12 pm »

Surely scientific progress shouldn't be measured in terms of paradigm shifts, but in terms of the accuracy of a model's predictions? I mean, it sounds like you're complaining that there isn't as much room to discover new stuff as there used to be. You can change models all you like, but it doesn't mean anything unless your predictions are getting better. And you'd expect huge shifts like that to slow down as whatever given model comes to more closely approximate reality, since inconsistencies get harder and harder to find.

EDIT: Okay, you've listed an actual problem. Good. I don't actually have the physics knowledge to argue about that one. How does the discovery of the Higgs Boson exacerbate that, though?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 339