Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 489816 times)

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #1785 on: August 01, 2014, 10:55:37 pm »

Heck, it might not even work; mistakes have been made before. It'll be brilliant if it does work, but there's gonna be a hell of a lot of review and analysis first.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: August 01, 2014, 10:58:24 pm »

So, uh, we fucked conservation of momentum? I eagerly await the enormous piles of additional research that will inevitably discover a flaw in the methodology - but I really would love to be wrong on this one.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: August 01, 2014, 10:58:44 pm »

If my reading of the article was right, it's a very, very low-power thruster mostly only good for satellites. Possibly space probes as well. No starships yet, sadly :/
Then again... if it just runs off the zappy, chunk a buggerhump load of solar panels on a thingy and many dozen of the things instead of, y'know, fuel or whatever. If quality fails, turn to quantity! Or maybe just a really big one. Low power thruster up in space still gets things moving given some time.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: August 01, 2014, 11:00:10 pm »

Yeah judging from the results, if this is legit, then the application will likely be as a replacement for fuel after launch - we're still going to need to send stuff up riding on the backs of explosions, for now, based on the force they're capable of generating.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: August 01, 2014, 11:08:35 pm »

Yeah. It's only getting *out* of gravity wells that you need a great deal of thrust in a short period of time (and windows, like the window of when mars and earth are close by, but even that lasts a few weeks)

Once you're at orbital speeds and are Douglas-flying by falling towards the earth so fast that you miss it, ANY thrust is preserved, there's not really any friction or air resistance. So if you can do it without fuel and without needing to REfuel, then it's a godsend, basically.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: August 01, 2014, 11:34:39 pm »

Their test units supposedly generated about 0.1% the thrust of an ion propulsion system. But with 0 fuel costs, it would mean satellites could stay up and maneuver indefinitely, bounded only by their components breaking down.

Unfortunately, as the Ars Technica article points, out, it's probably just a measurement error: http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/08/dont-buy-stock-in-impossible-space-drives-just-yet/
Both test units produced the same amount of force.... problem being, one of the test units was a control group which shouldn't have seen any thrust.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: August 02, 2014, 02:10:18 am »

There's always a possibility that the device might actually be functional and that we are simply too skeptical to not try to discredit it by all means possible, like how we were skeptical of computers, aeroplanes, books, radio and other world-changing inventions back when they were made. Still, more studies are definitely necessary.

Another possibility is that the device is perfectly possible, but that our understanding of physics is wrong instead.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: August 02, 2014, 02:29:22 am »

Skepticism is good. We should always be skeptical.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: August 02, 2014, 02:40:37 am »

If you're going for propulsion without throwing fuel away, wouldn't using light as propulsion make sense?
._.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: August 02, 2014, 08:19:02 am »

If you're going for propulsion without throwing fuel away, wouldn't using light as propulsion make sense?

That depends. Solar sails have uses for going further out in the solar system, but they are too weak and unidirectional for maneuvering in Earth orbit.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: August 02, 2014, 08:33:03 am »

If I recall correctly, the energy of light is equal it's momentum times the light speed.
Momentum for common objects is p=m*v.

So in order to get a momentum of 1 N*s, you need to spent 3*108 joules, where otherwise it would just be 0.5 joule(1 kg object)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: August 02, 2014, 08:45:42 am »

I don't get why people are getting so worked up when the experiment did not pass its own null hypothesis.

If I recall correctly, the energy of light is equal it's momentum times the light speed.
Momentum for common objects is p=m*v.

So in order to get a momentum of 1 N*s, you need to spent 3*108 joules, where otherwise it would just be 0.5 joule(1 kg object)

3*10^8 J is not a huge amount of light energy, when you consider that the stellar intensity at 1 AU is 1470 Wm^-2.
This is a blank sig.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: August 02, 2014, 09:21:25 am »

Yes, obviously, but I was just making the point that firing laser for propulsion would use almost a billion times more energy.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: August 02, 2014, 09:43:58 am »

Obligatory xkcd comic

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: August 02, 2014, 10:32:00 am »

To what degree I understand the theory (if indeed it works), this drive wouldn't actually violate conservation of momentum. It provides force by projecting an electromagnetic field which pushes against non-classical matter; a fluid of charged Virtual Particles that blink in and out of existence according to Perturbation Theory. So instead of ejecting matter to push it along as with traditional thrusters, this pushes against a sort of matter that permeates the universe, but exists for so short a time span that it's not something we can easily observe.

The tiny amount of thrust NASA seems to have produced using this is much less than was claimed to have been generated in previous tests with similar thrusters, which could just be an issue of the scale of the test thruster. I think Roger Shawyer, who first developed the concept, saw people using arrays of them to drive atmospheric aircraft, ground vehicles, and so on... in the "This will revolutionize EVERYTHING!" sort of way. Mostly, I am excited about being able to convert any source of electricity, like radioactive decay, solar energy, etc. into thrust without having to worry about fuel. It could enable extremely deep-space exploration, much lighter spacecraft, and bring us a step closer to figuring out what's going on in the universe at a quantum level.

If it works, I motion that we call it Impulse Power, in part because it generates force as if spontaneously... but mostly because Star Trek.
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 339