Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 101

Author Topic: You are King III: Spring 938 AAL  (Read 123985 times)

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
Re: You are King III
« Reply #120 on: July 11, 2012, 12:43:00 pm »

Cyril strode through the door, he was dressed simply, though he wore a laurel of redwood branches.  Taking his designated seat he turned his attention to the royal brothers.

"Greetings your highness, and your.. not as highness.  Am I early?"
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2012, 12:49:24 pm »

Theor was the third who entered the room. He looked not so fine as Richard. Small rings under his eyes and with head ache, he truly felt the excess of wine from the feast, but he was confidient that he would hold out the meeting with the king. He wore a black velvet shirt, a silver raven with widespread wings embroidered on it. The colors of the Blackshields... Silver and black. His legs were covered with a smooth suede pants, his feet stuck in normal studded boots. A weapon was not absent, on his belt hanged a long sword in a red sheath, decorated with golden ornaments.

"Your Majesty, I humbly thank you for the accommodation." he said in a smoky tone "It was truly comfortable. I didn't know, that Your Majesty knew that I appreciate the smell of the sea." With the smell of salt in his nose Theor certainly slept better...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 12:57:23 pm by Dragor23 »

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 11, 2012, 01:05:59 pm »

Edgard came in fourth, carrying under his arm several scrolls and tomes, having spent the morning looking over royal records. Dressed less rich than the other day, Edgard looked more like a patrician or a scribe than a noble, save for a golden chain with symbol of Arborvent: A white tree. He seemed rather concentrated and determined to do his job well. Iron queen kept her accounts well, but a lot of it was arranged in an odd and archaic way;.

"Your Majesty, Your Highness, fellow lords.." He bowed his head slightly in king's direction.

He took a seat at a table and laid out his papers in front of him.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:12:21 pm by Ardas »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 11, 2012, 01:27:39 pm »

"Good afternoon, brother. We shall wait for the others before we start, I suppose. I am certain some of them have news to share, but I do not."

The King spoke to his brother before anyone else came in.

"Yes, and it is a wonderful afternoon. Truth be told, I'd rather be fishing." He said, smiling and rubbing his beard.

"Business, though. I'll leave most of the talking to the Nobles, today. I'd prefer everyone feel useful, or at least appreciated."

"Greetings your highness, and your.. not as highness.  Am I early?"

The King strode forward, giving Cyril a strong handshake. The comment struck him as a bit insulting, but he wasn't the sort of man to easily take offense on his brothers behalf. He had promised himself that he wouldn't fight all of Richards battles for him...they were not children, after all.

Still, it irked Albert to put on a smile.

"Not a bit. Sit down, why don't you?"

Honestly, though, The King didn't know Cyril well. The man just didn't strike him as particularly memorable, for some reason.

Oh well, just one of those things. .

"Your Majesty, I humbly thank you for the accommodation." he said in a smoky tone "It was truly comfortable. I didn't know, that Your Majesty knew that I appreciate the smell of the sea." With the smell of salt in his nose Theor certainly slept better...

He turned to Theor, noting the hangover but not commenting on it-Albert was nursing the effects of one himself. They had both enjoyed the sea breeze last night, so to say.

"I'm glad to hear it, Theor. If it pleases you, consider the room your permanent quarters, for as long as you stay here or are on occasion to visit.

We should be done with the renovations in a month or so. You know carpenters. They charge me to double to work half as fast."
He said, smiling.

"Your Majesty, Your Highness, fellow lords.." He bowed his head slightly in king's direction.

"Always a pleasure, Duc Edgard. And you've brought scrolls!

What's a meeting without scrolls..."
He commented dryly, finally taking his own seat.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 02:05:03 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

knightedskull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 11, 2012, 01:33:04 pm »

Zeddrous was Fifth through the meeting doors.   Sixth if you count the Courier, same one as last night, and with the same kind of tip.
He was wearing the same clothes as last night so they weren't as pristine.

Zeddrous was not intimidated with how the guards looked and in size.   Though there is a good chance that was done on purpose to lower someones guard for just even a split second.   By their stance and weapons Zeddrous wouldn't wager against them, even with the female ones.

Attention finally snaps to the King when one of the guards looks at Zeddrous.
He does a standing bow and said:
"A wonderful afternoon to you, Majesty: and to you, Prince Richard; and to you too lords.
I am ready to hear what I can do to serve your purposes."

Zeddrous then walked over to a chair and stood by it to wait for everyone to get here and the meeting to start.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 11, 2012, 02:01:30 pm »

"I agree, Lord Zeddrous. A fine afternoon. Welcome to the Aerie."

He noticed the man sizing up the Bravos who were at their posts-each of them in a relaxed, comfortable pose that most men would take for a laggards slouch...except for their eyes, sharps as River Hawks, and each casual hand on a blade-each one was dressed meticulously in the latest fashion-long green cloaks, polished high leather boots, tri-cornered hats with feathers-and a possessed a passing beauty, since they tended to treat their looks as seriously as their duty.

The King thought it was smart to size up your potential opponents, and his respect for man increased.

"I see you're enjoying the sight of my Bravos, Lord. They're only half as good looking as they are proficient in their work, though." He commented, idly enough. Albert motioned to the blonde woman lounging in the corner.

"Aveline here once took three Master Altanic fencers in a...fair duel." The King said, folding his hands. Her only reaction to that was a slight smile. Aveline rarely spoke.

Richard might have been able to recall the exact facts of that incident. Those 'Fencers' had been almost certainly Assassins-they'd never found out who sent them-and, the brothers and their guards had fought them off in a bloody, pitched battle down by the docks. Since it was a 'fair duel', Aveline had kicked a acidic glop of fish oil in the eyes of one, and parted his neck in one blow.

So fierce had she been, killing half of them, the Iron Queen had assigned Aveline to guard Albert as he grew into the King, and after. If Ria was the Kings shadow, then Aveline was Alberts second blade.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 11, 2012, 02:15:11 pm »

Osir a bit confounded, guessed that she had difficulties with her sex...

"I don't be meaning that as an insult bo-good man, but the truth, sh- nevermind, best to drop this."

Osir looked over to the bar and saw that his drinks were about ready. He gestured for them to be brought to the table. "Anyway, whether or not you be accepting the deal, I'm still using this table," as he said that Osir pulled a chair from another table and brought it over to his usual spot, "and I'm still going to get drunk so stay awhile and talk, or be off with ya.."

Regardless of their answers, Osir began drinking.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

knightedskull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 11, 2012, 02:22:31 pm »

"Ah then I was right to not entirely judge them based on looks."
Zeddrous then gave a quick bow at Aveline.   And a quick glance at her beauty.
" A good afternoon to you too"

But under that quick bow hid a look of amazement.
Zeddrous knew that no "fair duel" involved 3 against 1.   This woman must be remarkable.
A woman can have many advantages in a fight that a man would not have.   Very distractful advantages.
She must have had used all her skills and tricks.

When Zeddrous came back up, with a smile on his face, he looked back at the King and said
"A good king can keep his highest ranked cards nearby but he can't win the pot by telling everyone his hand."
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 02:24:33 pm by knightedskull »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 11, 2012, 02:36:08 pm »

The King nodded and smiled, folding his hands. He enjoyed playing cards, anyway, and wondered if the man had chosen his metaphors so aptly, on purpose.

There seems to be a shift in Alberts personality. Something just underneath the veneer of the Good King.

"Indeed, my Lord. An apt point...

But there is a certain advantage to an act of misdirection. You know what the Magicos* say-nothing up my sleeve? A good player keeps your attention where he wants it. He controls your viewpoint of the situation...and he controls your reaction. All the while the audience remains entertained-but clueless to the truth at hand.

Now you wonder, is the King having a bit of fun? Or is he trying to tell me something? Am I danger? How should I respond?

All the power in the world...is in you never knowing for sure."
The King says, his voice unusually solemn.

Then, naturally, he's back. The King laughs, returning to his normality.

"There! I had you for a moment, didn't I? I think I like sparring words with you, Lord. We'll have to do it more often." He says, smiling brightly.

*Magico:A term for a charlatan 'magician', usually an expert at sleight of hand. Alternatively, an excellent card player.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 02:39:13 pm by Dwarmin »

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 11, 2012, 02:37:30 pm »

Richard politely saluted all the nobles as they entered, but only Edgar retained his attention. Once the Duc took a seat a the table, he started discussing with him. Since the nobles were not all there, he figured they had some time to talk.

"Duc Edgar. I missed you at the feast, but I'm glad you remained at court. I wished to ask you about Haegar raids... Altaregia has not been raided for many years now, and I was wondering if the northern barbarians had finally abandoned their attempts to raid our coast. However, this may only be due to Shipbreaker Isle's grim reputation; which is why I wanted to ask you about them. When was the last time they attempted to raid your lands?"
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 02:43:01 pm by Shootandrun »

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 11, 2012, 02:43:38 pm »

Theor simply sat down on a chair waiting that the meeting start. He was not here to chit-chat with other nobles, he had plenty of time for such activities on the feast.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 11, 2012, 02:51:55 pm »

"Oh, it has been many years since I've had seen Haegar longboats. As far as I'm aware, The North may not exist at all, so quiet have they been. If you think of disturbing them, I would strongly advise against it. 
Now, you excuse me Your Grace, I believe the meeting can be started."

Edgard stood up, and walked up to Albert, leaning in and whispering
"Your Majesty, if I may be allowed, I believe it would be fine to begin now...."

After that he turned to the gathered men.
"Lords of the Realm! Today begins the first day of reign of His Majesty Albert, King of Atemheide. It is fitting therefore that we deliver unto him the figures about the state of the realm, and on basis of those he consults with us and lays out the course for the kingdom. I believe that today His Majesty shall also name people he deems fit to be in his privy council: marshal, treasurer and so on..."

Then he took a scroll from the table and begun reading aloud.
"As of today, The Kingdom of Atemheide consists of 80 fine parcels of land, that contain 5 cities and 7 inhabited forts and castles, with few more currently standing unmanaged.
The population of the kingdom that is registered in the tax census stands at 56 tax boroughs. The total amount of money earned in the kingdom stands at 108 Ducats, of which Crown earns 29 ducats.
I have more detailed records to view as well, if one wishes to do so.

I will now deliver those records to His Majesty."

Edgard made a point of taking all of the books and scrolls and placing them in front of the king.

"I leave the floor open for next report."
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 02:56:00 pm by Ardas »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 11, 2012, 03:06:02 pm »

((Time for some time shenanigans))

Ah mead, can't ever get enough of it.

The night at the tavern had been great and he had drunken enough to be more than a tipsy, but fortunately the hangover was not 'excruciatingly painful' but 'extremely unpleasant.' After the night at the bar, he had retired to his apartments in the castle, and had awoken at nearly noon. He spent some time thinking about what to do, then heard of  a council meeting at the Aerie. He hated that place, but it was best that he go.

He found that the meeting had just started as he entered, and thus made a bow to the king and quietly seated himself, so as to not disturb the speaker. The first speaker spoke of the economics of the realm...and a little report on the Haegar. Strange, he had always heard from his teachers that the Haegar often raided the coasts of the kingdom...then again he hadn't been updated on that knowledge in many a year...Perhaps it was best to call of his plans for the raids? Something to think about.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 11, 2012, 03:43:49 pm »

"Anyway, whether or not you be accepting the deal, I'm still using this table, and I'm still going to get drunk so stay awhile and talk, or be off with ya.."

Rusty pushed himself away from the table, moving up to his room, shooting a backward glance behind his shoulder to make sure Kylila was following.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 11, 2012, 04:08:08 pm »

Richard got up once Edgar sat down. He cleared his throat before speaking and looked at all the lords present. I'll never be able to remember all their names, he thought.

"Our international relations are stable with all our neighbors, for the first time in many years. To the north the Haegars seem to have finally been pacified, as they have not raided our coast for many years. We are in good terms with Normark, thanks to Cyril's political marriage. In the west Arendalis is still at war with Donnerstein over the control of the river. They have ignored us so far, but we could decide to join one side to make allies, or we could throw our weight in to take complete control of the Arendal. Drachenklaue is neutral towards us, and share only a small border with us. Dalamir has been friendly with Windheathe in the past, namely during our attempts to stop all raids against our coast.

Windheathe is the richest of all the kingdoms I have named and the most peopled. If we felt a desire to expand, no other nation alone should have the sheer strength necessary to stop us. However, since all these kingdoms have been friendly or at least neutral during the last few years, I do not believe we should fear an attack from them.

Our military is small for our kingdom's size and should probably be expanded upon, if only to defend ourselves in case of treachery. The army currently has no generals and no marshal. I humbly suggest that my brother should name new ones today. That is all I have to report for now. I leave the floor to another lord."
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 101