Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 101

Author Topic: You are King III: Spring 938 AAL  (Read 123999 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III
« Reply #510 on: August 07, 2012, 01:14:12 am »

She ran her hand over the wall-which seems to have four different style of competing architecture along the length of it.

"I am not a Lady, not really-nor much of anything, but that is the polite term, and you'd be a Fool to call me otherwise. Really, I do not mind what you call me, Talinth. Though I will take offense with 'Harlot'.

And my family was low-born. Of little note in the halls of power, are the Alareon. I am the only left, anyway. So I am the only who remembers them."

The smith's eyes run across the patchwork architecture.
"If I got lost, I really think I'd have to trust Sahainn to guide me back outside. This palace looks like a maze."

His hands run once more through Sahainn's fur as he thinks before answering her.

"Actually, the Dalach are also of little note to no note. We were slaves, only freed by the strenght our people's arms, and were only recognized as nobles of the lowest tier when we sent assistance to the winning side during the War of the Hounds."

"Which brings me to an answer to the reasons men swing their blades around. I think most men do it for glory, names or titles, as well to protect or affirm their honor...But there are some that do it for different reasons...But then again I will soon be wielding my arms in an attempt to better the life of my family through violence. How can I say that is actually less selfish than other reasons? I had a different life and grew in a different environment. Their reasons are justified from their point of view, as are their goals, and the means I'll be using are the same, no matter our objectives."

He stops for a moment before continuing.

"But then again, I guess there is no problem in not knowing."
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 01:15:46 am by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: August 07, 2012, 01:30:41 am »

"I've rarely met a Knight who treasured Humility as much as you do, Talinth.

You wear it about your chest, like armor...but I know where you are coming from. I will tell you my story, since you told me yours.

Before I was the Kings Mistress, my Father was a Fisherman, like his Fathers before him. And I was a Fishermans daughter. And then he died, and I had to find a different way to live-as well as any Woman might, I suppose. Right now, you think less of me, but I was young-even younger than I am now-and I knew no other way. At the time, I was a Fool...I thought it would be exciting.

Then, I found Albert.

Well, we found each other. He sank my boat during a collision, though quite on accident-and dived into the water to fetch me, for Fishermans Daughter or no, I cannot swim-maybe one day I'll tell you why I was boating.

He saved me from drowning, anyway-and saved me from that Life I led...and we have been together ever since. I am selfish, in a way-he has always enjoyed other women, but always comes back to me. Things will change soon. He will take many wives, and I will not be among them, I suspect. He will have little need for me. I will be taken care of-he is a Good Man-of that I have no doubt.

But in his heart, I only cause him pain, for his duty will always keep us apart. So soon, he will have me leave here. And I will be alone.

I suppose I just confided in you, Talinth. For good or ill."

Ria leads the trio through a large doorway, pushing aside a heavy tapestry. The Kings throne room is ahead!

"Do not speak of these things, Sir Dalach, nor about us-harmless as our words are. Albert is a Good Man, but he is also a King. And he must keep up appearances. Can I count on your discretion?" She asks, folding her hands.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: August 07, 2012, 01:48:33 am »

Talinth nods to Ria.

"I'll keep silent." he says before preparing to enter the Throne Room. His hands clench into fists as he approaches the doorway.

"Now is the time...Sahainn?"

Sahainn moves right behind him, her steps light and discrete, almost inaudible. And so the worg follows him as the knight enters the room and drops to one knee, his right hand balling into a fist and resting against the floor. Sahainn rests by his side, in a non-threatening stance, basically laying with her belly against the floor. The smith just hopes he is doing it correctly.

"Your Highness..."
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 01:55:20 am by Caellath »
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: August 07, 2012, 02:58:08 am »

We need to investigate that fortress. Let's go.

Investigate the fortress from a hidden position, noting things.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #514 on: August 07, 2012, 04:08:37 am »

The Duke returns to Dechire and review the state of the city, such as naval security, crime, the navy, the military, and the city fortifications.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: August 07, 2012, 05:33:14 am »

"No I am not. I seek an audience with Lord Renart. Is he here?"

The less they know, the better...

"Well, if you're seeking the Marquis, he's in Northwatch Keep. Right...err, behind me, actually. Do you have a formal request for him that I could send? You don't look much of a commoner to me, but regulations exist.

"Reason for seeking audience?"

Must be careful here...

"Tell him... The King has sent me to help with Ban Yi Soong."

The guard's quite cheerful tone falls to one of uncertainty.

[Information and Trust: 4]

"You're a liaison then? Well...the problem is, that Selenid bastard - excuse my tongue - left along that road over there as transactions were...taking too long. He is the only horse trader, as far as we know, that dares go into Windheath to deliver the animals.

"We last spotted his horse traveling down the main road, mayhap quite a while yonder. I've been overhearing the marquis' conversations, as it is an open court and all. The merchant has quite a ship for a horse trader.

"For the better, I guess. The scum asked for a personal house in our land, and even a 'secret' place to store his wares uninterrupted. We've paid him the usual fees, and now...he's left. Probably a smuggler...or a crafty merchant."

Apparently, the guard is overly concerned with the loss of the coinage spent on the merchant, that she is too busy to ask for any official notice from the King.

"The keep is open to all, commoner and noble alike. Lord Renart would accept you easily, um, sire."

« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 06:44:27 am by Tiruin »

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: August 07, 2012, 05:34:57 am »

Galhard reacted as if he had been struck, his once noble hous redused to bandits and housewives, impossible, "Are you, sure? I mean surley there must be something left aside from myself."
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: August 07, 2012, 06:21:11 am »

You can never be absolutely sure, but the physicians agree that you have probably saved this woman's life.
Kninh spends a few more hours by the woman's side, to make sure the gods smile upon her.

He then requests to meet the king again.
Spoiler:  Letter to the King (click to show/hide)

Kninh is brought into to see the King.

Albert seems more worried than relieved, though-he's holding a letter...

"...The celebration will have to wait, it seems. Your success at treating my Bodyguard proved to me your talents, Saer-and you should consider yourself one of my own. But it seems I need these skills already, once again.

The people of Lord Harald Stonetree perish under some...Grey Death...it is much of one man, to ask he fight this. I can see no one else but yourself who may have a chance, Advisor. Will you go, and do what you can?"
The King asked. But it wasn't really a question at all.
[6]...

"A... Grey Death, you say. Ahah. A most... ah... deadly disease. Well suited to tearing apart families, my liege, and leaving orphans in its wake."

The old man shudders.

"It happens that the treatment and history of the Grey Death are both areas in which I have invested my time. I shall assemble some assistants and acquire the necessary resources, and leave as soon as I can."

He turns to leave, just as a knight in imposing armour accompanied by a massive wolf enter the throne room. Kninh all but jumps out of his skin in fright.

"Ah... ah... ah... do excuse me, I was just leaving."
Long Live United Forenia!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 07, 2012, 09:15:54 am »

Galhard reacted as if he had been struck, his once noble hous redused to bandits and housewives, impossible, "Are you, sure? I mean surley there must be something left aside from myself."

The King shook his head.

"As far as I know, none escaped who lived openly under your name afterwards. There may be some, living in hiding, but that is beyond my knowledge."

"Your Highness..."

The King seemed a bit amused, but it was clear he had fought Worgs before-his eyes were already sizing up the beast and man for some imaginary conflict. His bravos had traded their thin blades for light axes.

"Welcome, Knight...and Worg. I have killed many of her Kind in my time, but it is not our of hatred that I have ever done so.

Then again, you and I both know they are not merely witless beasts, are they?

I sense the mark of the Hunter on you, Knight. I am a Hunter as well."
He patted the no-nonsense blade on his hip, the one he used for hunting. It was more a butchers cleaver than a longsword, and it got the job done.

"And, you certainly know how to make an entrance, in any case. Announce yourself and your intention to this Hall."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 07, 2012, 11:08:25 am »

He turns to leave, just as a knight in imposing armour accompanied by a massive wolf enter the throne room. Kninh all but jumps out of his skin in fright.

"Ah... ah... ah... do excuse me, I was just leaving."
Talinth silently nods his head in respect towards the elderly man as the latter nervously addresses him.

"And, you certainly know how to make an entrance, in any case. Announce yourself and your intention to this Hall."

While the guards had been analyzing the visitors, the newcomers had been showing little to no unease, and could be considered very calm were not the knight worrying about proper decorum.

Everything he and Sahainn could analyze from potential threats had already been done so. Light axes, the King's sword, the posture of the Bravos that seemed to indicate there was an abnormal number of women in their ranks for an usual unit...

As he had been taught, even the largest lone predators lived in fear. Talinth was not fearless; it would be stupid to be so, he had been told, for fear keeps you alive as long as you bestow it. Don't be controlled by fear, but play it in your favor. And so he did, making a preliminary analysis of his environment but not bothering to act paranoid and twitchy. The outcome of combat inside the throne room would be death in any case, and further analysis would only bring anxiety.

And so there he stood, kneeled before the king but still at ease, as if it was only natural to do so, reflecting his whole behavior which remembered the silent predatory nature of the worg...A fact explained by the eyes that rise to meet those of the king - with a touch of the wilderness itself.

"My name is Talinth Dalach, apprentice blacksmith and knight, and I have come to swear my service to Your Highness."
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 04:18:23 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: August 07, 2012, 01:07:48 pm »

Tell the people to wear cloths to cover their mouths and noses when they are around the infected. Burn the Dead Bodies and minimize contact to all Ill people. Make sure that Ill people are not drinking from public wells and try to discover how people get ill.

[3] Your measures do not seem to slow down the plague, but they do reassure the people, convincing them that you are doing something. [5] It seems that most of those who are infected by the plague are those who work the field, which explains why so many slaves get sick. Perhaps it is related to something in the earth?

1.Spend 1.5 ducats on granaries and food.
2. Ask one of the nobles if I could accompany them on drake hunt.
3. Train my charisma skill.

-3 unrest to commoners in Osport
[5] The nobles accept with entusiasm. Their next hunt will begin early this summer and last for two weeks, if everything goes as planned.
[36345] 60/200

Seeing as most of his work was done for the Spring, Renart checks on the status of the people of Northwatch, just to assure himself that Summer won't be as harsh with counter-measures against any threat to them.

If none, begin preparations for a Spring Festival! Scheduled plans: Building granaries and adding in defensible fortifications to the villages in and around Northwatch for our people's protection, pallisades and a simple drawbridge along with wooden watch towers, along with a feast in commemoration for our new King, hopefully the people didn't finish all that apple wine. (-2d)

[Open court, I suppose?]

You allow the people of your holdings to visit Northwatch and present their complaints and demands. They come in large numbers, mostly for minor things that are outside of your responsibility anyway, but you do pay attention to their talk and learn alot about your vassals.

The Commoners
[6] Your peasants are few, but they are rich. Most of them are fishermen and fur traders, whose families suffered many hardships during the wars with the Haegars, but who flourished in times of peace. Since the raiders from the north have stopped harassing your coast, the villagers have been fishing whales in large bands, pulling them on the beach and cutting them up before selling their meat and grease in enormous quantities. The fur traders, who once needed to travel armed in order to protect themselves from northern berserkers, hunt throughout the north unchallenged. This has brought incredible wealth to Northwatch when you consider its climate and low population. [Commoners strength: 3]

[6] These peasants are loyal to you and the king at all times. This has often caused many problems, for some of them consider it is their duty to remind their southeastern neighbors of Osport that they belong to the kingdom of Windheath. The situation is made only worse by men of Osport trying to settle in their lands, and this causes sometimes large battles between bands of peasants. Deaths are rare, but they do happen, and injuries are innumerable. Perhaps you should consider discussing that point with the count.

[1] Last winter was extremelly harsh, and the snows have pushed some cold drakes away from the tundra and down to the south. This is a very unusual event, and very problematic; they often ambush trappers and hunters. This could cause the booming economy of Northwatch to collapse if the fur trade stopped.

Steward's comments: A dangerous case, right there. Our economy is expanding enormously, but these drakes might cause a collapse if they are not watched carefully. The same would happen, doubtlessly, if we resumed hostilities with our Haegar neighbors. I do not doubt you will find a way to deal with these beasts, but it will have do be done before autumn, or our hunters won't be able to go through the winter.

The nobility

[6] Your nobles reflect your peasants in their wealth. They are few but rich, and they have a monopoly on the trade of furs in the kingdom - although that might change, as other lords have opened trade routes. Overall, they are powerful and rich, and they will keep on being that way for as long as your borders remain secure and the fishing and trapping continues. [Nobility strength: 3]

[4] Overall, they are loyal to you. Some resent the fact that you rule over them and not the opposite, but most work in a live and let live fashion. They will answer any call for arms you give them and they pay their taxes willingly. As long as you remain reasonable in your demands from them, you should get along well.

[4] The lords, worried about the news of cold drakes disturbing the trade, have an offer for you. They could, if you allowed them, call their levies and organize a grand hunt in your lands. They are not enough to completely deal with the problem, but perhaps if you would lend them some of your rangers, they could attempt to get rid of the drakes.

Steward's comments: These are loyal men, and they are powerful. They could make good allies in time of need; for now, I'd suggest giving them your regiment and letting them go hunting this summer. It will be a demonstration of your willingness to participate to your peasants, and a reminder that you are the strongest lord in the region to your vassals.

Granaries are built for a ducat, and [4] your citizens rejoice at the news of a feast (-1 unrest to commoners). [Since there are no cities in your region, there's no point to make you pay for the fortifications. You can consider that your villages are defended, but it's only fluff.]

The Duke returns to Dechire and review the state of the city, such as naval security, crime, the navy, the military, and the city fortifications.

[Open court!]

Dechire is the fourth largest city of Windheath. Albeit Altaregia has a much larger overall population, most of that is composed of slaves; it is therefore unclear which one is the wealthiest. Crime is very low (like in all the cities of Windheath - one might wonder why, exactly, since it certainly isn't because of the guards) but naval security is lacking. There have been no raids in years, but if there was one you doubt your forces could do anything to stop it.

You have recently received a letter from Richard, informing you that the kingdom's naval budget this year is five ducats. Since he is mainly a general and you are an admiral, he chose to let you decide how to spend it. He notes that they will not be used solely for the protection of Dechire; they will patrol all the coast and a large part of the Arendal. If you desire to have some more personnal naval security, you will have to take the funds from your treasury.

You open the court to hear of the situation in your city. Different individuals visit your palace that day; some are peasants from the mainland, other nobles under your service, and finally alot are from the city itself.

The Commoners

[4] The peasantry of your lands is moderately wealthy, compared to the average Adran. They do not lack food in winter and have a roof over their heads, but they do not hire slaves, either, and not all make profits every year. Overall, they are content with their current state of being above average. [Peasantry power: 2]

[1] They are not exactly loyal to you. Your family has spent generations taking care only of the city, and they believe they do not owe you anything. They are not in outright rebellion and they pay their taxes, of course, but you should be careful when dealing with these men and women.

[1] A plague has spread from the south over to your lands. It is called the "Grey Death"; it is not the most mortal or infectious of diseases, but it seems to target only the field hands, and this may cause a problem to your city, for if your peasantry dies, Dechire will starve. You'll have to deal with that.

Steward's comments: Thread carefully here. These peasants do not like you, and they are more than wealthy enough to be independant of you if they decided to go that way. If you do not do something about the disease, they may go into open rebellion or defect to another lord's side. I have heard of this plague, and so has the king. Perhaps you should require his help; I hear he sent priests who know of this disease in the other infected lands.

The Nobility:

[4] Your vassal nobles are, like their peasants, above average in terms of wealth for their rank. Their economy is mainly based on farming and pearl diving, and they generally do not lack wealth in their treasuries. It has been years since any of them has been in debt, and they are currently helping the local economy to flourish. [Noble power: 2]

[2] Once again, like their peasants, these men are not of the most loyal sort. They are not in open rebellion against your rule, and would probably never dare to do so; but they might attempt to gain independance through legal means or to be vassalized by another lord they like more. You'll have to watch these.

[2] The plague is making them very discontent; they are afraid for their economy. Many have visited you, asking you to do something; anything, really, that will help the situation or atleast prove you're working on it.

Steward's comments: Treacherous bastards, all of them. In theory, they obey to you and pay their taxes; in fact, they are mostly trying to find a way to get out of your rule. If you don't do something about the plague, some may claim your are inadequate to rule over them. You'll have to be quick about fixing it.

The urban citizens:

[2] Dechire is not the wealthiest of cities. This may be due to its lack of specific industry; Spirituaser is the kingdom's source of gems, Altaregia is the center of slave trade, Arborvent is the second trading hub after Stormstead and Stormstead, of course, is the kingdom's center of trade. Meanwhile, Dechire is not specialized in anything, and this has hurt its inhabitants. There is alot of unemployment and the population has been going down for quite some time now as the citizens leave the city for other, wealthier places. [Urban power: 1]

[6] Unlike the peasantry and the nobles, however, these citizens are loyal and will follow you whatever you demand of them. This has caused much tention between the people outside and inside the city, and it may eventually end in riots if you are not careful.

[4] The inhabitants of Dechire are mostly unaffected by the plague, which is good, and are starting to open more businesses in town, which is better. Some have politely asked you if you would finance their businesses and help them start some work of their own in the city. This may not be most useful to you in the long run, but they will remember that you helped them, should you accept.

Steward's comments: It is entirely up to you. It would cost a significant sum of money (two ducats) to finance these new businesses, but the citizens would start climbing out of misery (+1 urban power) and they would be grateful to you (-2 urban unrest).

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: August 07, 2012, 01:46:52 pm »

-
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 01:59:31 pm by Dragor23 »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: August 07, 2012, 07:36:51 pm »

"My name is Talinth Dalach, apprentice blacksmith and knight, and I have come to swear my service to Your Highness."

"Well that you should. Many men have sworn oaths to me recently...and many more yet shall.

I judge a man by his deed, not his word though. I accept your Oath, Knight. Rise and be counted as one my own.

...now tell me. I do not quite recall the exploits of the Dalach family....what can you tell of them?"

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: August 07, 2012, 08:21:06 pm »

"...now tell me. I do not quite recall the exploits of the Dalach family....what can you tell of them?"
Talinth rises to his feet, followed by Sahainn. He keeps staring into the King's eyes as he answers the latter's questions.
"The Dalach family has no exploits except what they may have accomplished during the War of the Hounds, and if our forces sent during that time were able to achieve great feats, they did not tell us their story. "

"We do not have a great tale of victories and bloodshed; our people were brought here by slavers and managed to be freed by their own hands, through a uprising, killing or expelling the small-time nobility that lived in the small strip of land we now occupy."
he continues, unfazed.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 08:40:54 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 07, 2012, 10:45:34 pm »

Renart skimmed over the recent reports and queries - he was glad that at least, his people have been faring well, though all those suggestions and comments about his heir were troubling him.

"Time to send his Majesty another special message. The hunt begins ere the end of Summer!"

His voice echoed along the halls. It was quite lonely in the keep.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 101