Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 101

Author Topic: You are King III: Spring 938 AAL  (Read 124004 times)

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III: Winter 937 AAL
« Reply #1335 on: October 26, 2012, 07:01:45 am »

Spoiler: Response to Richard (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 10:42:17 am by Ardas »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: October 26, 2012, 04:03:16 pm »

"Do as you wish my Lord, I can't exactly pass edicts myself, if I try its more asking them to do something then anything else so perhaps yours will have an effect at least. On another note I have some of the Band patrolling the nearby lands, and even more I've ordered to help the hunters during the winter, I fear the troops we have at our disposal are to few."

"Is there anything else you need my Lord?"

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: October 26, 2012, 09:02:54 pm »

((Curse it. I'll be fighting someone who has armor names Drakesteel Armor of Awesome?!

Welp...))

"Very well."

Renart ratifies Trent's edicts and calls a request to all the peasantry - all males of working age, able to wield a weapon and armor to report to Northwatch's armories for a region-wide arming. Defense has just gotten personal.

In addition to the edicts given, Renart sends most of his messengers out with the same copies of a formalized letter. A letter of aid.

"Trent, I need you to marshal up any 'unconventional' allies we have at the moment. Your name and reputation precedes you, and I'd never doubt your skill with the people. I will handle our nobility, but we need more men to defend this area.

"If we fall, then the entirety of Windheath is in danger. No man, woman or child will be spared. The Haegar will be like a festering plague on our wounded land.

"And...I fear I know who may lead them."

Renart looked out the tent to view the snow-covered landscape. Osir couldn't possibly attack them when they were this weakened, right?

Alarm my vassals and other nobles about the coming threat and request their aid. Especially from the citizenry.

Sometime later in the Northwatch Keep...

"Milord, I had forgotten to tell you, but we've received word from one of our people."
"Is that so? I barely sent out the last of the messengers."
"It's from a mercenary group. Well, a messenger from their group."
"They couldn't send...themselves to come up here?"
"Messengers have the useful 'return to sender' role, milord."
"...

"Spirituaser's men?"

Send a message up to Northwatch, offering our services to the lord there, with a requested hiring price of 2.5 ducats (That can be negotiated on.)

[3]

"By ye gods, these men are stricken with insanity!"

Renart turned to his Steward.

"Send back the messenger, I need to talk to them. With haste!"

Tiruin talks with Taricus.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 09:21:06 pm by Tiruin »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: October 26, 2012, 09:37:12 pm »

"My mother once told me 'War between nations is better than a Civil War. In one brother kills brother and their mother must bury them both, in another you simply kill the man you do not know and leave their family to bury them.' Never thought I'd believe her till now. The Band will stand ready when the time comes, but I am unsure of what allies I could find that you would not, sure I could rouse the people, perhaps I could draw many men to the Band but they'd come to either way."

Sighing Trent looked at the map he had spread on the desk, simple carved figures displayed the various patrols and roughly where they would be by the end of that day. Along the top of the map a ways from the border stood a simple figure, a rough carved wooden line painted red, it was the line he had set earlier that week. No military operations, at least regarding the Band, would happen past that line, the space beyond it was a buffer zone and no-man's land on which few if any farms stood.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: October 26, 2012, 09:41:12 pm »

In Spiritusaer:
"Looks like this may be our lucky break. Going to have to tough out the winter though..."

After about ten to twelve days of travelling, the Drakefangs arrive in Northwatch, battered by the harsh winter, but still in good condition and spirits. The mercenary group takes up residense within a small inn in the township.

About a day after that, a group of sixteen people arrives at the gates, requesting a meeting with the Count of the region...
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: October 26, 2012, 10:36:44 pm »

About a day after that, a group of sixteen people arrives at the gates, requesting a meeting with the Count of the region...
At Northwatch's Southern Gate...

You come upon an elderly looking man in chainmail, complete with a beard and a handaxe. He smiles warmly when you state your request.

"Aye, Northwatch along with it's Marquis is open for communication. Stride into the keep over there, nobody will stop you unless you want to kill anyone. Anyone but those Haegar scum...Why, when I was your age-..."

But most of you continue on towards the Keep, seeing the bustle of the people as they continue their Winter labors. The smell of smoke was in the air and the smithies were in full gear. There were soldiers distributing weapons around, and most of the cattle and livestock were being herded indoors to safer locations.

It seems like they were preparing for war...

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: October 27, 2012, 08:35:44 pm »

The mercenaries make theri way to the keep, unfazed about the goings-on around them. Upon entering the keep, the majority of the mercs dispersed, letting their leader and his aides do the negotiations.

Adrien and his two other officers make their way through the interior of the keep towards the throne room, eager to get started on the negotiations. Arriving around midday in the throne room, the mercenaries begin to greet the marquis..
"Marquis... Renart is is? A pleasure to see you sir, I believe you got our messenger?"

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: October 27, 2012, 11:49:59 pm »

"I have," Renart replied. "You are one of the first groups to come to our aid.

"Now about your request. Why exactly are you demanding more than two whole regiments worth of expenses while your own people only amount to one? Next, even if we manage to broker the deal at this time, there is no guarantee that you or I will be alive to commit it to fruition.

"The Haegar are attacking, and I can only do so much for my people unless aid comes unconditionally."

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: November 01, 2012, 07:55:48 pm »

Meet with Lord Blackshield's forces and try to get in contact with Parnoth. Something does not add up in this whole ordeal; Duc Parnoth stands only to lose with his current actions.

You meet up with Lord Blackshield's small army. [6+1] You manage to get a few messengers in contact with Parnoth, and he sends back their heads. He appears to be unwilling to negotiate at the moment.

Using my 50 crowns and whatever might be found in the fort wine cellar, hold a small feast. Ensure that three casks of liquor/wine are brought in to the kitchens: One is to be as heavy as it can be, one is to be somewhat weak, and the last is to be watered down considerably.

(Charisma) Seek to befriend the diplomat, and make myself appear to be harmless. If necessary, allude to the (false) fact that I may be willing to provide shelter and supplies for Donnerstein forces, and that I may have been tasked with seeking aid against recent and more pressing threats. Both Zacharie and the Diplomat are served the weak wine at this time. All are to be clearly labeled so as to prevent confusion, and the cup which Zacharie drinks from is to be distinct from the Diplomat's for the entirety of the night so that he is never to be served the wrong wine. The diplomat is never to know of the differences between the drinks.

(Charisma) End the feast before it gets too late. Invite the Diplomat to the study or lounge or wherever would be appropriate for a more private meeting, using Zacharie's reputation as a party-boy to further disarm him. During this time Zacharie is to be served the watered down wine while the diplomat is to be given the heavy stuff. Throughout this meeting, Zacharie is to subtly needle the diplomat, through small-talk, for information as to the following:
-The number and strength of the Donnerstein forces at the border.
-The current defenses of Donnerstein's border forces.
-The names of any prominent nobles and other key players among the border forces, where their personal fiefs are located, and how many regiments they brought.
-The current status, strength, and location of the Donnerstein supply train.

(Charisma) The diplomat is to be invited to remain within Oathbreaker for as long as he likes, of course, and Zacharie attempts to be affable enough to convince him of this. To further attempt to convince him, Zacharie pretends to get a little too into his drink (impossible, likely, given he's drinking the watered down stuff), and confides in the diplomat who "reminds him so much of his dear deceased brother/father": He might be convinced to betray his Liege and side with Donnerstein given enough time to come around to the idea. He is also to imply that he is seeking to marry his sister off, to further enhance the image that he might be willing to turn coat given enough persuading.

[3] The beginning of the feast goes well. The diplomat drinks little, but that is to be expected from any experienced ambassador; overall, he remains polite and empties his cup a few times. [3+1] Your charisma, however, goes through his genre savvy; he becomes friendly and joyful as the night advances, though he does not start drinking more heavily. [5+1] Your allusions clearly enthusiasm him, and he begins to discuss about all sorts of "theoretical arrangements" about "theoretical military access treatires" in an "hypothetical mindset".

[5] Miraculously, the wine trick goes well. Yours is clearly watered down, while his is heavy stuff; he becomes drunk in a matter of moments. Already enthusiastic, he becomes extremely friendly with you. [2+2] Though he gives no numbers (either because he is not that drunk, or because he is so drunk he has forgotten), he does admit that most of Donnerstein's armies are massed along the borders. While said army is not as big as all of Windheath's combined forces, it is certainly stronger than any individual  army within the kingdom. [5] He mentions no defenses to speak of; the forces of Donnerstein expect no battle any time soon. [4] And, most importantly, he speaks of who is present in the border force.

[5] The Duke of Redwaters Bridge is leading the army, and he is... A peculiar one, to say the least. He is a politician and a relatively good player at court, but his skills as a general are abysmal, to say the least. Infamous amongst Donnerstein's nobility, it is said that he could not win a battle against a band of peasants if he didn't outnumber them with an army of heavy knights, and even then he would probably have to rely on a terrain advantage of some sort. This shows that the king in Donnerstein is either not interested in a winter campaign, or that Duke Redwaters improved his skills at intrigue greatly.

Zacharie and [3] Count Rudolph of Clearfalls Way have become friends!

Karas decided enough was enough. He would find his true Father, this Swordmaster. Someone in the city has to know who he might be

Ask around for any leads as to where any Swordmasters may be.

[5] Swordmasters are generally hard to find... But this is Windheath, home to the greatest city of the North. Stormstead probably contains a hundred swordmasters of reasonable talent, and at least a dozen good enough to train you everything you wish to know. However, they all work for a price - generally a very high one. How much are you willing to spend?

Renart ratifies Trent's edicts and calls a request to all the peasantry - all males of working age, able to wield a weapon and armor to report to Northwatch's armories for a region-wide arming. Defense has just gotten personal.
Alarm my vassals and other nobles about the coming threat and request their aid. Especially from the citizenry.

[3] A band of peasant show up at the castle. Your edict was obviously not very popular, but you can probably raise two levy regiments from these. Of course, it lowers your popularity amongst the common classes (+1 unrest), who believe they'd have a better chance of living through this by hiding in the woods, rather than fighting the Haegars on the field.
You raise two additional levies from your nobility, who are more than willing to defend their lands.

Begin the march to Northwatch. Set-up a siege immediately. Let none in or out. Including animals and objects; all those are to be killed or burnt.

[4] The snows aren't too harsh, which allows you to make a good time and to ensure the cold won't kill too many of your men. [1] On your way to Northwatch, however, you are challenged by one man. It is a lone horseman, wearing the silver stag of Altaregia on his coat, with the blue and white banner of the Conricht dynasty above him. He is posted right next to the Hangman's Tree (the tree where the last of the Red Kings of the North was hung, after the end of War of the Longaxe, which marks the border between Windheath and the North). He speaks in a loud and clear voice, in a flawless Haegar.

"Today, you are crossing into the border of Windheath. My Liege knows that none of his words will stop you from violating our border and breaking the peace; and so, he sends me not to order you to turn around, but to send you a fair advice. He advises you to make your prayers before you cross into our borders, as this will be the last time in your life you shall see your homeland; none of you will return north. The forces of Windheath will show no mercy and make no quarters. All Haegars who will cross in our border will be killed and burned on the plains of Adranic lands. May your God have mercy upon your souls - but remember that where you will spread, he has no power."

With that, he rode away.

[2] The morale of the army takes a hit, to say the least. No one deserts, of course - no warrior will go home and say that he fled because a southerner threatened him without even drawing a blade! However, a certain uneasiness settles amongst your forces. You go on and install a siege around Northwatch - with the thousands of men you have at your disposition, surrounding the fortress is a matter of hours.

The Siege of Northwatch begins.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 07:59:02 am by Shootandrun »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: November 01, 2012, 08:05:21 pm »

"Now about your request. Why exactly are you demanding more than two whole regiments worth of expenses while your own people only amount to one? Next, even if we manage to broker the deal at this time, there is no guarantee that you or I will be alive to commit it to fruition.

"The Haegar are attacking, and I can only do so much for my people unless aid comes unconditionally."

"Well, there's a famous saying amoungst most mercenary, no money, no mercenary. Tell you what though, If you're willing to pay extra, we can withhold our request for payment until after the battle, if that suits you Marquis. Otherwise, I would be more inclined to offer our services to the Haeger..."

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: November 01, 2012, 08:22:29 pm »

Engage Parnoth offensively in the plains with the whole army.
1. Try and request a meeting first [Charisma I].
If the above fails and battle breaks out:
2. Parnoth's regiments are allowed a chance to turn over to our side, joining our army. Their disloyalty wlll be overlooked and they will be joint formally into the army, taking in  account the disadvantage to their side and Parnoth's apparent madness.
3. Parnoth's daughter is to be secured and the man himself captured alive, if possible.
4. Any enemy regiments who rout during the fight will be given a chance to join our army and be pardoned, if they refuse, they will be captured and await the Regent's judgement.
5. If the battle ends in our favor, all of Parnoth's ships are to be immedaitly seized for the army.

Spoiler: Overview (click to show/hide)

Make haste, for Northwatch calls for aid!

(I couldn't resist the reference)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 03:51:08 am by Azthor »

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: November 01, 2012, 11:27:57 pm »

Under the guise of hunting trips, take three archers from the regiment and begin to scout out a stealthy path to and from the fort to the western borders. Any food acquired during these trips is to be given to any peasant families in need.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: November 02, 2012, 03:32:55 am »

((So I'm under the belief that time has gone against me and I've but a few hours left of talking and marshalling the troops. How quaint, these options are.))

"Well, there's a famous saying amoungst most mercenary, no money, no mercenary. Tell you what though, If you're willing to pay extra, we can withhold our request for payment until after the battle, if that suits you Marquis. Otherwise, I would be more inclined to offer our services to the Haeger..."

Renart stood in silence, contemplating the idea until a messenger arrived.

"Excuse me milord, but we've a Haegar problem. As you all were chatting, sire, our fortress is now surrounded by Northern heathens with a blood oath against you and led by none other than Osir. It appears he has found himself drakescale armor."

"Milord, excuse my intrusion upon you affairs but I've received warning from Trent's scouts. We've a Haegar army approaching sire. The men are mostly ready to fight, but we're all levies. The women and children, not including the elderly have retreated into the deepest reaches of the keep, including the tunnel system you have set." The messenger bows to Adrein before taking off, saying a last farewell before continuing with his duties. "Good Saer, your troops are much welcome in this time of need."

Renart looked at the mercenary in the eye, while clapping Trent's back with a hearty laugh. "A good time as any, Mercenary. Time to prove your word. Think of all the nobles now - wishing for foreign artifacts and stylish armor, when the opportunity has arisen right on our doorstep. If you live, feel free to loot as you may but report back to me once finished.

"Trent, you've been awfully quiet this time. Let's not hope that you're brooding some scheme up, eh? For now, excuse me. I have an army to direct."

In addition to the edicts given, Renart sends most of his messengers out with the same copies of a formalized letter. A letter of aid.

Alarm my vassals and other nobles near my lands, and those who are interested about the coming threat and request their aid. Especially from the citizenry.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: November 02, 2012, 04:01:34 am »

Osir surveyed the siege. Miles upon miles of tents and fires with smoke filling the sky; haegar walked and marched throughout, ready to loot and pillage. It filled Osir with pride...and shame. Here he was, going to ruin Northwatch, a symbol of the Haegar loss as well as the fiefdom of the poor lord Renart...It was not good warring with hunting partners, not good at all. Never less, he had certain loyalties. The Regent needed his army...and Osir would get a chance at the Conricht bastards.

Northwatch would not stand long against the army of Haegar who had come. The men were discouraged, yes, but Northwatch was poorly defended...from the looks of it at least. A few speeches might help, perhaps some stories. It would not take long to burst down the gates and...loot it. Murder and death would follow...inherently something a Haegar would want, but it seemed so wasteful...He best start something to things along, he decided. He made orders for several ladders and battering rams to be crafted, and sent a messenger to the walls, asking for a talk with the lord of the citadel.

He also sent off orders for his clanlords at Osport, telling them that they were to raise their levies...Further orders would follow.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 01:12:49 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: November 02, 2012, 09:46:24 am »

Harald stood in the hastily erected Command tent, in front of him a rough sketching of the enemy and allied army positions.

Hmm this battle seems pretty clear to me gentlemen. Our Archers harass the enemy, trying to avoid contact. Light Infantry(2 Infantry) and our Medium Men-At-Arms(Heavy I) engage them directly keeping them occupied, while your Hedge Knights(Heavy I,Cavalry) and my Light Haegar Cavalry(PG,Cavalry) flank them from the right. I'll take my two Regiments of Medium Infantry(Heavy I,Berserker) and crush into their left flank.

The two flanking attacks should be enough to crush their morale.

Using his Offensive and Defensive Strategist I Perks, Harald tries to figure out what Parnoth might have planned.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 101