Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What execution would you prefer?

Labor camp
- 4 (20%)
List of choices (would you like to be killed by woodchipper, firing squad, gascambers...)
- 8 (40%)
Choose how to die (with restrictions, or course, no "I want to be nuked in the dining hall")
- 6 (30%)
Generic Lethal injection
- 1 (5%)
Electroshock
- 0 (0%)
Life in prison
- 0 (0%)
Other (Specify)
- 1 (5%)
No opinion
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 192

Author Topic: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion  (Read 319226 times)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How many people play DF? (Now the Bay12 Space program)
« Reply #345 on: August 04, 2012, 08:49:20 pm »

I am so not having kids when we do this. I would rather not be the guy that everyone looks at and goes "his kids are so weird, they think and have ethics and morals."
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 04, 2012, 08:51:07 pm »

I've read through the whole thread. Gauss cannon seems a bit too complex - I don't think bolos were ever mentioned.

What we really need is a repository with member details, voting, and discussions. We need a subforum. We could sticky the personnel thread, some general discussion threads, and then voting threads for different ideas, some deep technical threads, etc.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 04, 2012, 08:52:29 pm »

My own server is painfully idle right now. I have the capability of launching the DF Space Program Forums if need be. ;)

Caprealis

• Bay Watcher
  • The Next Crusade~ Praise Armok!
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 04, 2012, 09:55:28 pm »

I think a solar powered gauss cannon, would work. Seeing the lack of gravity and such, I'm sure we could use that kind of technology to make travel around mars/Where ever we decide to go) a bit easier..

Gauss powered minecart transit system for the win?<-Fking magnets.

That or use hemp to make just about everything.
Hello, My name is irrelevant, And I represent no one.
And there is no place like 127.0.0.1

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 04, 2012, 10:05:25 pm »

Lord, the idea of a Dwarven sub-forums based on this is amazing. *sniffle* And to think that a little while ago this was a discussion of how many people play DF. Could I be a Moderater?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 04, 2012, 10:14:49 pm »

I think I should join D.E.E.P.E.R. considering I'm studying to one day be a Genetic Engineer.  We should use Gingers as quasi-assassins who steal the souls of our enemies that we can then turn into energy.

EDIT: YES! Our own forum or sub-forum would be great!
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 04, 2012, 10:25:23 pm »

That acronym is already fantastic but if we could stable D.I.G. to the front of it it would be that much better.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 04, 2012, 10:35:52 pm »

a acronym longer then 6 is hard on my brain. I can come up with it, I just need a moment for, elegance, yes, thats what I'm going for.

How about... Dwarven Institue of Gruesome's Department of Engineering the Eldritch and Practical Exploitation of genetic Resources, or D.I.G.D.E.E.P.E.R.

DEEPER for shorthand communication of course.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 10:37:54 pm by misko27 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 04, 2012, 11:36:55 pm »

For the Matrix idea, that's just after we take over the planet and some people are unhappy with our reign. Instead of having to contend with their unrest and tantrum spirals, just pop them in the Matrix of their own free will. They get to live in a world without us, and we get the planet AND the meagre amount of eleticity from their meatsacks. Hell, if we get to the level of technology we're talking about in this thread, we could build a virtual reality simulator (based on DF, of course) that each person could modify parameters in to create their own perfect world. That would also boost our science accelleration rate, since our scientists could test ideas in the virtual world like in Einstieinian Roulette, if anyone's familiar with that. But that's long-term.
Good idea, but a wee bit premature, seeing as no one has enough technology to make the Matrix.
Or most of the proposed things, actually.

Pfft, we play Dwarf Fortress, giving the moon an atmosphere is nothing for us!
That's the spirit!

...Speaking of the spirit, I gave up reading all of it around page 20, after reading a few already. Hey, it's like midnight!

My intention is increasing the female population in order to decrease our dependance on cloning. Besides, I like sex, and this way I will have sex, so is good strategy. The need for females is that makes it possible to create a coupling of both non-bay12ers, with sane children, therefore rebellion could be started. Control must be absolute my friend. We here have a chance to create a pure society, unburdened by such things as sanity, morality, bigotry, ethics. We don't won't this to become yet another outpost of sanity in this world, do we?

Dear God, don't tell me your reasoning is being corrupted by personal pursuits of pleasure before we even get off the damn planet! Alright, time to reorganize our population strategy:

1) Somehow obtain storage of eggs+sperm before embark. Perhaps through the robbing of sperm banks and some less-than-legal surgical practices.

2) Grow test tube babies on planet of colonization.

3) Breed progressively better descendants through the use of eugenics.

4) Use the souls of undesirables to power our technology.

And of course, I mean all of that in the most ethical way possible.

EDIT: Oh, and the molding of mindsets can be done by teaching them to follow strict Mars space cult ideals from a young age. Severly reducing chances of any rebellion.
Alright...I have severe issues with this plan, which I will go over step-by-step.
0. It's a one-generational problem, unless we modify ourselves somehow to produce >50% males.
1. Stick to legal methods. Besides, since the demographics suggest that we have a male majprity, we just need to obtain some equipment for extracting sperm. And some eggs.
2. Nothing too bad with this, I guess, if we have to.
3. Long-term goal, and one we will need to hide from thr world. Eugenics got a bad name from Hitler and such.
4. Far beyond the realm of consideration. Not only have all attempts to isolate the soul failed, but I have estimated that soul-based power would be far less efficient than, say, hooking the people we'd be sucking the souls from to some kind of bicycle generator from...somewhere between 3 and 4 hours. 3.1 something.

Location, Location, Location: I think it was the general concensus that mars wouldn't be optimal due to it's location, but would be great in terms of natural resources. I, though, don't think that the former statement is necessarily the case. Why?:
Anyone with an understanding of orbital dynamics knows that, if you have time to wait, you can get things off of mars and to earth relatively easily. You might also know that cheap dense things can do excessive damage upon re-entry. Also, there is tons of space junk floating in earth orbit that can be qualified as-
[Jesus. This is epic. Flying parallel with a thunderhead at 40,000 feet. You can see all the lightning from a safe perspective. Very amazing view.]
- dangerous if it re-enters in the right path. It boils down to the fact that we can assault earth with gravity.
We'll have tons of refuse on mars. That's a fact. Humans aren't nearly as efficient as dwarves. I say that we freeze it, make pucks out of it, and shoot it at earth. With some advanced calculations and a bit of guidance, we could pepper the thermosphere with little pellets by giving them a wide periapsis/apoapsis variation of 100km/10,000km. Make their own skies rain down on top of them. We can also chuck some big rocks. If we time it right, they won't know what hit them. Gravity is veeerrryyyyyy useful.
I think Asimov wrote a short story about scavengers that would recycle space junk by cabling large hunks to ships and flinging them like bolos. We could do the same with large rocks, aimed straight at earth.
Re: Martian ballistic trajectories: From Luna, a projectile can reach Terra within hours, tops. From Mars, it would take months under mnormal circumstances, maybe weeks if we shell out. Also, Luna is a gun pointed at Terra's head f we use it correctly. Mars? We can't even get a missile (or rock, or whatever) there in less than a year most of the time, what with the stupid sun being in the way or something.

We do need to have a personnel manager or two. I volunteer. I have no plans for the next few months, just some light manufacturing, design, and programming at home to pay the bills. I've already seen some volunteers for roles on this expedition, as well as setting some of the milestones and goals.
Any objections? No? Okay, but run things by me that have to do with gengineering or something, I'm the chief biologist, remember?

Bay12 Community. Best in the world. This is just more proof.
We need a national anthem for our colony(s). And, yes, I know it's colonies, not colonys, but....ugh, midnight...

I've read through the whole thread. Gauss cannon seems a bit too complex - I don't think bolos were ever mentioned.
The Gauss cannon is for firing steel-coated rocks at Terra from Luna. Think of it as the aforementioned gun pointed at Earth's head. A nice tool of psychological warfare, even if we never have to fire it.

a acronym longer then 6 is hard on my brain. I can come up with it, I just need a moment for, elegance, yes, thats what I'm going for.

How about... Dwarven Institue of Gruesome's Department of Engineering the Eldritch and Practical Exploitation of genetic Resources, or D.I.G.D.E.E.P.E.R.

DEEPER for shorthand communication of course.
I'm good at acronyms. Not after, say, 10:30 or 11, of course.

Ah, I'm going on a trip next week, can everyone cope with not seeing my design for the Deep-space Warfare And Resource-obtaining Fortress until then?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 04, 2012, 11:54:45 pm »

Now see, I thought that you were the master architect, cause your plan for the inter-planatary fort is the most complerte and impressive. And I've sorta been elected Head of DEEPER, which is gengineering.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 05, 2012, 12:51:21 am »

My intention is increasing the female population in order to decrease our dependance on cloning. Besides, I like sex, and this way I will have sex, so is good strategy. The need for females is that makes it possible to create a coupling of both non-bay12ers, with sane children, therefore rebellion could be started. Control must be absolute my friend. We here have a chance to create a pure society, unburdened by such things as sanity, morality, bigotry, ethics. We don't won't this to become yet another outpost of sanity in this world, do we?

Dear God, don't tell me your reasoning is being corrupted by personal pursuits of pleasure before we even get off the damn planet! Alright, time to reorganize our population strategy:

1) Somehow obtain storage of eggs+sperm before embark. Perhaps through the robbing of sperm banks and some less-than-legal surgical practices.

2) Grow test tube babies on planet of colonization.

3) Breed progressively better descendants through the use of eugenics.

4) Use the souls of undesirables to power our technology.

And of course, I mean all of that in the most ethical way possible.

EDIT: Oh, and the molding of mindsets can be done by teaching them to follow strict Mars space cult ideals from a young age. Severly reducing chances of any rebellion.
Alright...I have severe issues with this plan, which I will go over step-by-step.
0. It's a one-generational problem, unless we modify ourselves somehow to produce >50% males.
1. Stick to legal methods. Besides, since the demographics suggest that we have a male majprity, we just need to obtain some equipment for extracting sperm. And some eggs.
2. Nothing too bad with this, I guess, if we have to.
3. Long-term goal, and one we will need to hide from thr world. Eugenics got a bad name from Hitler and such.
4. Far beyond the realm of consideration. Not only have all attempts to isolate the soul failed, but I have estimated that soul-based power would be far less efficient than, say, hooking the people we'd be sucking the souls from to some kind of bicycle generator from...somewhere between 3 and 4 hours. 3.1 something.

0. But a problem nonetheless. And one that I am confident would be best dealt with via the production of test tube children, as it would give us far greater control over population numbers as well as male/female ratios for all subsequent generations to come. Not to mention, once we perfect the process, it will be a much more reliable method of bringing people into existence than the old-fashioned way.

1. You're thinking about it the entirely wrong way. The organization required to successfully pull off several sperm bank robberies would help us to practice the essential teamwork and communication skills that we will need for this glorious colonization effort. And the surgical operations will help us to train up the invaluable skills of our doctors before we embark.

3. If we get any criticisms about it, we'll just paint it as, "A prejudice-fueled attack on a harmless and very important part of our Martian culture." Play that card, and I can guarantee you that we will have plenty of supporters on Earth causing a commotion in order to "defend our rights" from people that shouldn't be sticking their noses in our business to begin with. Segregating our opponents even further. Besides, once people begin to see the amazing results of such programs, it will only work to win over even more of the masses.

4. All the info I've accumulated concerning souls over the years has led me to believe that they are, in fact, virtually eternal. Meaning that even a single soul, should we learn to properly utilize it, could possibly work as an infinite power source. If a certain piece of technology requires more power than a single soul can supply, we'll just make some sort of multi-soul battery. We're likely going to be breaking trail on all sorts of discoveries during this endeavor. I see no reason why the exploitation of souls as a power source should not be one of them.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 05, 2012, 02:04:33 am »

*yawn* just landed. Back in my comfy chair. And with my cats.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 05, 2012, 05:05:24 am »

i suggest , when we will have our base set up , first steal earth satellites and use them for our communication and the rest of them can be dismantled for electronic circuits and metal .

by stealing satellites we will paralyze the earth !
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 05, 2012, 08:48:46 am »

I believe the perfect method of soul extraction is the use of our Ginger friends on the forum.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 05, 2012, 09:30:12 am »

I believe the perfect method of soul extraction is the use of our Ginger friends on the forum.
spores are more efficient method of soul extracting .
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 192