Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 638

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 691249 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Talk about stuff I pretend to understand]
« Reply #1695 on: October 26, 2015, 05:59:30 am »

It's hard not to do it a little bit. It is also hard to unintentionally do it to valley girl levels. You should be fine.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Talk about stuff I pretend to understand]
« Reply #1696 on: October 26, 2015, 06:43:24 am »

It's called a filler. I took a seminar on public speaking, almost everyone has a filler, like, uh, umm, tsk, etc. It's generally considered fine in personal conversation etc, but it is not great if you're public speaking, trying to build others confidence in you, etc. In those cases it can come across as being unprepared and unsure of your subject matter.

TL;DR Ok for day to day usage, not ok for business presentations.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: October 26, 2015, 06:57:36 am »

Its pretty fine to use it. Hell, its even normalized in common speech by now, and its hard to abuse it enough to become a valley girl simulacrum. Its also a thing that affects languages other then english, soooo.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: October 26, 2015, 07:00:03 am »

Full disclosure, I'm a terrible Umm-er. Once you start paying attention to peoples use of fillers you'll notice they're everywhere. Although, once you start to string them together, that's when it's time to get worried. "tsk, like, y'know, I totally thought that".

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: October 26, 2015, 09:11:34 am »

I just stop talking when I need to rethink the rest of the sentence. At least I try to do that instead of making meaningless sounds to fill the pause.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 10:20:00 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: October 26, 2015, 10:19:04 am »

Like, is saying 'like', like it's a comma, like, considered a bad or, like, annoying thing to do in, like, English?
I, like, understand that people probably don't, like, exactly follow my posts with, like, bated breath, but has anybody ever, like, thought that I say 'like' too much?
Like, I get this is, like, slightly dumb to worry about stuff like this, but, like, help me out here.
Like FTFY
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 10:23:58 am by Reelya »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: October 26, 2015, 10:23:32 am »

Like, is saying 'like', like it's a comma, like, considered a bad or, like, annoying thing to do in, like, English?
I, like, understand that people, like, probably don't, like, exactly follow my posts with, like, bated breath, but has anybody ever, like, thought that I, like, say 'like' too much?
Like, I get this is, like, slightly dumb to worry about, like, stuff like this, but, like, help me out here.
Like, FTFY
Like, FTFY, like, so you had, like, maximum like usage, like, yeah.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: October 26, 2015, 11:03:02 am »

I, like, understand that people, like, probably don't, like, exactly follow my posts with, like, bated breath, but has anybody ever, like, thought that I, like, say 'like' too much?
Like, I get this is, like, slightly dumb to worry about, like, stuff like this, but, like, help me out here.
Like, FTFY

You people are approaching Valley Girl concentration of "like" in a sentence mentioned earlier.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: October 26, 2015, 11:06:51 am »

Like, FTFY

You people are approaching Valley Girl concentration of "like" in a sentence mentioned earlier.

Didn't valley girls just stem from Cold War fears and newfound American consumerism?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: October 26, 2015, 11:09:01 am »

Pictured above: The horror that would be a like like as a pokemon. I can only imagine that version would eat shorts instead of shields :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: October 26, 2015, 11:11:16 am »

Like, is saying like, 'like', like it's like, a comma, like, considered a like, bad or, like, annoying thing to like, do in, like, English?
I, like, understand that like, people, like, probably don't, like, exactly follow my like, posts with, like, bated breath, but has like, anybody ever, like, thought that like, I, like, say 'like' like, too much?
Like, I get this is, like, slightly dumb to like, worry about, like, stuff like this, but, like, help me like, out here.
Like, FTFY
Like, you like totally like missed like a few 'likes'. Like I like like like, Soooo much, like y'know? Like, FTFY, like ya?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1706 on: October 26, 2015, 11:15:10 am »

I'm not sure, but I think this sentence would be better with more likes.

I just stop talking when I need to rethink the rest of the sentence. At least I try to do that instead of making meaningless sounds to fill the pause.

I only do that if I start having to chain filler words. Dropping one in while I work out how exactly to phrase the next thing I want to say isn't usually an issue.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: October 26, 2015, 11:26:42 am »

Didn't valley girls just stem from Cold War fears and newfound American consumerism?
The actual original sources were this hit single and the character Jennifer DiNuccio from this sitcom. After that it was a simple matter of people emulating it to be funny or cool or whatever, until it actually became ingrained in our language.

[/weird language knowledge]
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1708 on: October 26, 2015, 11:28:30 am »

The actual original sources were this hit single

"The lyrics were a deliberate attack on the slang and behaviour of stereotypical valley girls."

Seems to be a bit of a disconnect there.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: October 26, 2015, 11:31:40 am »

Small rephrase to my previous statement. "Valleyspeak" already existed before that point, it was just confined to a very small group of people socially and geographically. It was only with that single and the sitcom that it actually boomed onto the widespread awareness, which is the only reason we know about it. :P
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 638