Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 638

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 691468 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #3060 on: December 06, 2016, 06:38:40 am »

Attempt to use your oversized bread knife as artillery, and despair at your own inability!
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: December 06, 2016, 12:18:32 pm »

To go back to the fan-shaped sword, it seems like by shifting weight to the back it's make it a better chopping weapon

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3062 on: December 06, 2016, 12:26:26 pm »

Where did I hear that Aztecs could shoot through Spanish plate armor with their slings?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: December 06, 2016, 12:35:03 pm »

I doubt the sling itself would go through, but I remember reading plenty on how slings could injure or kill even heavily armoured opponents.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: December 06, 2016, 12:36:16 pm »

blunt damage > armor
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3065 on: December 06, 2016, 12:38:11 pm »

That's the argument, but it also messes with the balance, which is important to actually being able to use the sword without breaking your wrist. If you think about how you use a large axe, which is similarly top heavy, it involves holding it near the head and shifting your hand down. G'luck doing that with a sword.

Although if anything, it's an execution or symbolic weapon. This example isn't too bad. It's important to bear in mind that time is convoluted in Africa just because something from Africa doesn't look old doesn't mean it's not authentic.

Where did I hear that Aztecs could shoot through Spanish plate armor with their slings?

You're probably misremembering based on the fact that a sling bullet with enough momentum can injure or kill despite plate armour, since it relies on sheer blunt force trauma and not organ damage. Arrows are a lot lighter, so they're much more likely to glance harmlessly.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: December 06, 2016, 01:33:57 pm »

slings cant penetrate plate armor
1532 was an inside job
wake up sheeple

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3067 on: December 06, 2016, 01:51:38 pm »

You're probably misremembering based on the fact that a sling bullet with enough momentum can injure or kill despite plate armour, since it relies on sheer blunt force trauma and not organ damage.

Arrows are a lot lighter, so they're much more likely to glance harmlessly.
Uh, blunt force damage that doesn't cause organ damage? That sounds like it doesn't injure or kill. I think you accidentally misworded that. Also, you said "fact", so I wonder if you have any citation on sling bullets injuring people wearing plate armor? That's the kind of thing I'm looking to read about.

Apparently this war arrow weighs about 3 ounces http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=2582.0

People on this slinging forum say they like using bullets anywhere from 2 to 10 ounces. http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1267064576

So I'm not sure that weight enters into it that much.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 01:54:49 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3068 on: December 06, 2016, 02:10:17 pm »

You're probably misremembering based on the fact that a sling bullet with enough momentum can injure or kill despite plate armour, since it relies on sheer blunt force trauma and not organ damage.

Uh, blunt force damage that doesn't cause organ damage? That sounds like it doesn't injure or kill. I think you accidentally misworded that. Also, you said "fact", so I wonder if you have any citation on sling bullets injuring people wearing plate armor? That's the kind of thing I'm looking to read about.

An arrow kills someone by causing severe trauma to their internal organs, in general. That, or causing them to bleed to death by severing an artery, but that's a lot less likely. Both of those require it to punch through the armour. A sling bullet kills someone by causing shock (in the physical sense) to the brain or some other result of blunt force trauma (but not internal organ damage on the level of a broadhead or bodkin), which is relatively unaffected by armour.

Apparently this war arrow weighs about 3 ounces http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=2582.0

People on this slinging forum say they like using bullets anywhere from 2 to 10 ounces. http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1267064576

So I'm not sure that weight enters into it that much.

I'm citing Chris Harrison, primarily, who cites a bunch of good sources. Including, of note:

By hurling a shower of great stones, they wounded many and even killed not a few of those who were attacking, and they shattered the defensive armour of most of them. For these men, who are accustomed to sling stones weighing a mina [~0.6kg], contribute a great deal toward victory in battle

Which I think you'll agree is significant. I think 600g is about 20oz. The whole thing is a good read.

Reading over your link on the sling bullet weights, those slingers aren't really going for damage, but mainly distance. It's a different set of constraints.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: December 06, 2016, 02:19:12 pm »

Lindybeige did some neat videos on slings, and I swear in one of them he slung a bullet at a tree and it penetrated amazingly deep.  Can't find it now though - I found four separate videos he did on slings, but no sign of that.  Good channel, at least when he's talking about weapons and armor (which is 99% of the time).

Intro to slings:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=covH4voKukw
And here's his video on the difference between stones and bullets when slinging:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU87f5o8vMg
Heh apparently Roman slingers would write messages on their bullets when bored.  "Claudius hit you".  I LOVE Roman graffiti.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: December 06, 2016, 02:21:55 pm »

No Roman graffiti will ever overcome Secundus' reign of terror over the city of Pompeii. He defaced their walls. He defecated in front of their taverns. He screwed their women and their men.

All hail Secundus. When the promised time comes, he will return from his chrysalis at the fiery heart of Mount Vesuvius and fell the skies of men.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: December 06, 2016, 02:31:59 pm »

No Roman graffiti will ever overcome Secundus' reign of terror over the city of Pompeii. He defaced their walls. He defecated in front of their taverns. He screwed their women and their men.

All hail Secundus. When the promised time comes, he will return from his chrysalis at the fiery heart of Mount Vesuvius and fell the skies of men.
"Secundus" is just a really common name, though.
So the answer is that Secundus is me, Secundus is you, Secundus is all of us.
Hail Secundus!
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: December 06, 2016, 02:35:28 pm »

... so is secundus pathos's great-something grandparent, or just the name it took before the internet?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: December 06, 2016, 10:37:24 pm »

So on slings v. arrows, I've been doing some digging and what it looks like is that slings fire with less force than arrows, but are more aerodynamic (no stabilizing feathers) and have more of their force transmitted with a non-head on strike than an arrow would (due to their mass being more of a flat shape than a line). The result is that at close range and with a good hit an arrow does more damage to you, but as you start to put some more distance between you and the target the slings maintain their lethality range a bit better than arrows do due to them maintaining their force more and doing more damage on a glancing strike. Note that this would be against the standard combination of plate mail with padding beneath it (i.e. the plate itself deals more with the initial strike, be it from the arrow or the stone, with the padding dealing with the blunt trauma created).

TL;DR:
1) Arrows are better than slings at close range head on strikes
2) Arrows taper off faster than slings do with range
3) Arrows taper off faster than slings do with glancing blows
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3074 on: December 06, 2016, 11:00:20 pm »

A sling bullet kills someone by causing shock (in the physical sense) to the brain or some other result of blunt force trauma (but not internal organ damage on the level of a broadhead or bodkin), which is relatively unaffected by armour.
A person dies when they get bashed on the head because they suffered brain damage. Your brain is an organ, ergo if this fight ends in you dying I'd say that's severe organ damage. It doesn't matter if your skin or bones were penetrated or not when applying the term "organ damage".

Reading over your link on the sling bullet weights, those slingers aren't really going for damage, but mainly distance. It's a different set of constraints.
Good point.
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 638