Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 638

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 691328 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #7395 on: June 03, 2021, 01:09:08 pm »

Try seasoning with lard? You can look up how to do it for a wok. You shouldn't be having problems like that with stainless steel if you are properly oiling the pan, so my best guess is that it needs the seasoning process.

(I almost exclusively cook in cast iron which is different but this does sound powerfully like a seasoning problem)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7396 on: June 03, 2021, 05:15:48 pm »

Apart from benchmarking and flexing on others (and I'm convinced those two are actually the same thing), who actually plays their brand-new AAA games at, like 100, 200, 300+ FPS, but not even a consistent one? Like, who plays RDR2 at 177 FPS, but not even a steady 177? Surely you'd just enable VSync, which would give you a steady 120 if you had a 120 Hz monitor.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7397 on: June 03, 2021, 05:49:36 pm »

Like, who plays RDR2 at 177 FPS

I misread this as "who plays R2D2 at 177FPS".

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7398 on: June 03, 2021, 05:52:00 pm »

Like, who plays RDR2 at 177 FPS

I misread this as "who plays R2D2 at 177FPS".

Hey, you don’t know what those droids get up to in their private time.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7399 on: June 05, 2021, 07:54:24 am »

Why was video calling considered to be "the future" back in the 90s or so? I mean, the earliest video codecs were made specifically for this purpose; H.261 (predecessor of MPEG-2 Video and H.264, among others) was made for videotelephony, not video storage. Seems a bit odd that they'd (the public, the manufacturers, MPEG...) pursue a dream that didn't exactly seem practical at the time, but that's just every successful invention in a nutshell.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7400 on: June 05, 2021, 09:48:21 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:53:37 pm by dragdeler »
let

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7401 on: June 05, 2021, 10:05:26 am »

I'm pretty sure vidphones was the natural progression of "sci-fi", from text based mail and telegrams, to sound based telephone, to finally visual comms via live video.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7402 on: June 06, 2021, 07:14:02 am »

I have a hypothetical plan to plug in a cheapo capture card into my main PC, plug in a different computer into the capture card, then use the preview in OBS as the display. How much input lag would I get that way?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7403 on: June 06, 2021, 07:22:32 am »

Depends on the codecs in question, but can be over 1 second.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7404 on: June 06, 2021, 07:34:17 am »

So "tolerable" for command-line (but you better be careful with dd, rm and other risky commands), beyond awful for GUI, got it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7405 on: June 06, 2021, 08:43:42 am »

You really would be better served by either setting up RDP on windows OR using VNC on linux.

Honestly.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7406 on: June 06, 2021, 06:20:37 pm »

Are there any pieces of software that release new versions in the same way Dwarf Fortress does, that isn't DF? DF releases in irregular bursts, with possibly months or years between each burst, yet is still in alpha.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7407 on: June 06, 2021, 06:52:47 pm »

Sure? Pretty sure Aurora does something similar, and as a general thing long term passion projects by solo or small team devs have a tendency to work roughly like that. DF isn't unique in its release/development cycle, just in how it hasn't keeled over dead yet :P

The alpha/beta/whatever terminology isn't particularly consistent, though. I wouldn't get hung up on that, what counts as that is calvinball with the dev making up the rules.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7408 on: June 06, 2021, 07:18:26 pm »

Betas are *supposed* to be feature-complete compared to alphas, only requiring beta-testing to find bugs.  The underlying game isn't supposed to change.

But of course that doesn't work for games designed for continuous development.  I guess technically DF would have various stages of internal alpha, released beta, released bugfix - then back to work on the next stage.  Other games have DLCs and expansions (or be like Stellaris and completely rewrite the design doc every few months, hehe).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7409 on: June 06, 2021, 07:24:57 pm »

Plenty of betas that don't have a continuous development thing going on change radically prior to release (if they ever release), or are missing major features. There's also alphas that are largely feature complete. So on, so forth. Practically, there's not really a "supposed to" in regards to alpha/beta/whatever features, least not that I've noticed.

Not that that's really a surprise, exactly. The person who decides something is an alpha or beta is whoever it is that's naming the versions, not some kind of central authority. Dev cycles are like gods, everyone worships their own conceptualization of them :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 638