Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 105

Author Topic: Clockwork Empires - 1.0 release October 26th  (Read 246939 times)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: Clockwork Empires - Gaslamp Studios makes a colony builder!
« Reply #330 on: November 01, 2012, 03:57:48 pm »

For whatever reason, the end of that story brought "Meet the Pyro" to mind.

Anyone care to explain why?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 01, 2012, 03:58:35 pm »

The picture. Reminded ME of the Pyro, at least.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #332 on: November 02, 2012, 08:13:38 am »

Digging will be more abstract.  You will be able to place mines to collect resources, and in the current iteration you will be able to improve them, but 3d visualization of what is actually under them will not be visible.

There are a number of things in the Halloween post that will be possible, such as calling in investigators, but like a lot of LPs, some of the details are embellishments that we honestly just couldn't convey in a way that wouldn't be total descriptive overkill (like perhaps the specific details on how the pipes are driving people mad).

The line that we have to draw about exactly how much detail gets described to the player, as I think I've mentioned, has a lot to do with how much we can meaningfully convey to players, and also a lot to do with how much time we can spend on things.
When dealing with mines, could you implement some kind of abstracted improvement system based on mineral veins? In a real mine, miners will follow a mineral lode/vein to completion and then do exploratory mining out from there using sensors, or even just random guessing to find a new lode in the area. Instead of just 'click button, mine level 2 now mines 25% more material!" you could have exploratory mining with a chance of finding better lodes, you could have lodes tracked individually with (hidden) amounts of material left in them. Extensive subsurface mining would require more infrastructure, so exploratory mining could increase the upkeep or whatever of the mine. At some point it may be more cost effective to establish a new mine rather than expand an old one. And of course if you want to inject a bit of realism you'd have to deal with the waste products... tonnes of earth and stone, possibly toxic gasses and slag from smelting.

Just a few ideas.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 02, 2012, 09:09:18 am »

Digging will be more abstract.  You will be able to place mines to collect resources, and in the current iteration you will be able to improve them, but 3d visualization of what is actually under them will not be visible.

There are a number of things in the Halloween post that will be possible, such as calling in investigators, but like a lot of LPs, some of the details are embellishments that we honestly just couldn't convey in a way that wouldn't be total descriptive overkill (like perhaps the specific details on how the pipes are driving people mad).

The line that we have to draw about exactly how much detail gets described to the player, as I think I've mentioned, has a lot to do with how much we can meaningfully convey to players, and also a lot to do with how much time we can spend on things.
When dealing with mines, could you implement some kind of abstracted improvement system based on mineral veins? In a real mine, miners will follow a mineral lode/vein to completion and then do exploratory mining out from there using sensors, or even just random guessing to find a new lode in the area. Instead of just 'click button, mine level 2 now mines 25% more material!" you could have exploratory mining with a chance of finding better lodes, you could have lodes tracked individually with (hidden) amounts of material left in them. Extensive subsurface mining would require more infrastructure, so exploratory mining could increase the upkeep or whatever of the mine. At some point it may be more cost effective to establish a new mine rather than expand an old one. And of course if you want to inject a bit of realism you'd have to deal with the waste products... tonnes of earth and stone, possibly toxic gasses and slag from smelting.

Just a few ideas.

How about having a depth parameter, and every depth level having a certain amount of slots/openings avaible to it. Each of these can contain a mineral vein, or something else. Then you can decide which lodes get priorized, and which not. The deeper you go, the more materials are needed and such.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 02, 2012, 09:18:33 am »

...the waste products... tonnes of earth and stone, possibly toxic gasses and slag from smelting.

I'm sure we can find enough ways to use those that we'll start founding mines simply to get access to them, considering the other materials we find "waste products".

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 02, 2012, 11:51:08 am »

Wow.  Loved Dungeons of Dredmor (although I need to get the expansions and figure how to get them to play nice with the game I got from HIB), and this looks awesome. 

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 02, 2012, 12:14:46 pm »

Just a few ideas.

How about having a depth parameter, and every depth level having a certain amount of slots/openings avaible to it. Each of these can contain a mineral vein, or something else. Then you can decide which lodes get priorized, and which not. The deeper you go, the more materials are needed and such.
Mine Level 1: Clay/Sand Nodes, low chance of Common Metals like Copper or Iron.  1 Mining Crew/Job
Mine Level 2: Clay/Sand/Copper Nodes, low chance of other common metals. 2 Mining Crews/Jobs  (Or 1 Crew/Job)
Mine Level 3: Common Metals Nodes, low chance of fancier common metals like Gold/Silver.  3 Mining Crews/Jobs  (Or 2 Crews/Jobs)
Mine Level 4: Common Metals/Silver Nodes, low chance of gold/gems.  4 Mining Crews/Jobs  (Or 2 Crews/Jobs)
And keep digging deeper....

Need more workers in the mines?  Make more Mines.  I suppose you could attach the access to each individual mine... but yea, would be better to be area based if you could.  So Mines within the same area will get the same Nodes.  Mines across the map or something have distinctly different nodes.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 02, 2012, 12:35:19 pm »

Which is not quite what I meant.

The amount of workforce needed would be determined by the amount of nodes that you let people work on at the same time.(Best case the nature of these nodes would be determined by the map). Amount of actual workforce will probably be determined by the modules you attach to your mine. Extra elevators, steam pumps and others would be fun.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 02, 2012, 12:43:04 pm »

The amount of workforce needed would be determined by the amount of nodes that you let people work on at the same time.(Best case the nature of these nodes would be determined by the map). Amount of actual workforce will probably be determined by the modules you attach to your mine. Extra elevators, steam pumps and others would be fun.
Well, it really depends on how the buildings are gonna be...  if the number of mines you can put up is very limited... One two or three, yes, your idea would be way better since such low numbers allows for much more detail per mine.

I was thinking along the lines of some of the city builders like... Ceasar and the Pharaoh ones.  Being able to put a large number of mines.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #339 on: November 02, 2012, 12:46:36 pm »

I really want mines which are so deep they require forced ventilation and steam-powered elevator systems for the ore.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 02, 2012, 12:52:38 pm »

Gaslamp-Daniel: is any of the madness inducing stuff going to be randomly generated?  The fate of mushroomhood was hilarious, but I have a hard time imagining a player falling for that more than once.

Although some of it sounds a bit risk-reward.  Like you know the coffin is going to do terrible things to your citizenship, but you also know its going to improve industry, so you have to decide if hooking it up to a factory is worth the risk.  Randomness would still be nice though, it would keep a sense of exploration even for longtime players.

Also:
Quote from: those tags
when crimes are committed by science criminals only science criminals can bring them to justice
So much win.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 02, 2012, 01:03:06 pm »

I really want mines which are so deep they require forced ventilation and steam-powered elevator systems for the ore.
You'd need steam powered water pumps much earlier. Which might lead to a few fun things.

Dehydration of ground near the mine, and a lot of filthy water that you have to get rid from. Mine to much and then stop the production, and you might see some collapse of nearby buildings.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 02, 2012, 01:47:02 pm »

Well, it really depends on how the buildings are gonna be...  if the number of mines you can put up is very limited... One two or three, yes, your idea would be way better since such low numbers allows for much more detail per mine.

I was thinking along the lines of some of the city builders like... Ceasar and the Pharaoh ones.  Being able to put a large number of mines.

I think I'd rather go the other way than Pharaoh did - instead of plopping out as many 2x2 buildings that will fit next to a rock outrcopping, I'd rather have the mine expand and develop.  Sure, you might not be able to see it other than on a rough map (but then again, they might decide to go with an underground view), but as you expand it, it spreads out, has more node access, and requires ventilation, pumps, more workers, etc.  Then maybe extra openings would be used/needed for easier access of workers or machinery.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Gaslamp-Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 02, 2012, 03:20:55 pm »

The thoughts you guys are throwing around regarding the mining mechanisms are very similar to what we've been thinking internally: Nicholas made a couple of comments on the blog post for Shiveringhope about what we're thinking in broad terms.

Regarding madness and its spread: some of the items which cause madness will be written specifically by us, and some of them will be procedurally generated.  It will be clear to the careful eye what objects are affected, and you will have the opportunity to intervene.  Many cases will just be disgruntled or naive characters doing bad things, but some will be a choice, as with the coffin, between a notable reward and the spread of evil =)

As ever, every single thing here is subject to change.  Video games are weird like that.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 02, 2012, 03:26:30 pm »

Hey daniel i know its a weird thing to ask but will all military organizations have ranks for their members ? so like how the purgers were ranked in the story will that exist in game ? and each one has more and more power then the last rank. and will this also go over into your own military ? so if one soldier does something heroic you could promote him and he would be incharge of a squad and become a NCO and as he becomes so awesome and bad ass he ends up as a general leading your whole army ? and he has more power and you can do more cool things with him.

also instead of having purgers as antagonists can we have them living peacefully in our colony and having them set up a base to keep away the beasties ?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 03:28:37 pm by ScriptWolf »
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 105