Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 339

Author Topic: The Dream Thread  (Read 511512 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: The Dream Thread
« Reply #2490 on: May 04, 2015, 06:07:21 am »

Last night I dreamed I was in an althistory universe and was reading up on its history. Specifically the part wherein a war between the US and Japan was settled between the President and the Emperor fighting in power armor with their respective flags on staves.

I want to live in this universe.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: May 04, 2015, 08:03:10 am »

Rarely do I ever dream about games, much less roguelikes, but tonight was a pleasant exception.

I dreamed that I was playing the beta for a really interesting roguelike or something, called "Blood War". It had ASCII graphics, and it was kiiiiiiinda similar to DF's adventure mode in gameplay, except not really, in that most things were randomly generated, similar combat, locational damage and the ASCII was also a bit similar, altough it was also similar to cataclysm: DDA in some ways, namely the UI and some menus.

The basic premise of the game was that you started as a lowly devil in one of the many hells, a hellish dimension that is very similar to Dante's depiction of hell and also D&D's nine hells of baator. Each hell is basically a huge world of its own divided into instances to avoid lag or something. You would start the game as a lowly devil of some kind, with few stats and almost nothing of a resource called "hell power", which consisted of points you could spend to develop your devil in several ways, such as gaining different spells and powers, growing in size and changing your body, like gaining different limbs, horns, spines, claws, etc, crafting artifacts of power for yourself, among several other things. Your main objective in the game was to rise in rank, power and influence among the devils in hell, eventualy becoming powerful enough to challenge one of the arch devils that rule each of the worlds in hell, and become a new archdevil, to eventualy become powerful enough attempt a coup and become the true and sole ruler of hell.

To do this you needed hell power to grow stronger and influence among the devils, which could be gained through several ways. At the start you were limited mostly to doing quests and menial tasks for devils above you in the hierarchy and being succesful in battles in the blood war, against the demons of the abyss, or doing things like attacking other devils and eating their hearts, altough this is apparently considered a horrible crime in hell and one of my characters got tore apart after being seen doing this.
Eventualy you'd gather enough hell power to manifest in the normal world, which was basically a huge randomly generated Forgotten Realms style D&D world. You'd at first manifest as a voice in a some naive mage's mind or some corrupted magical object, and you'd have no control over anything but you were able to see a bit of your surroundings and slowly influence the minds of your host and the people around it. Through this, you'd eventualy gain disciples and followers to do things for you in the normal world that would gain you influence and hell power, and some of these things were pretty brutal. I remember ordering one of my followers to kidnap a baby and sacrifice it to me in exchange for some magical abilities, and having another burn a nearby temple that was interferring with my powers in the normal world. The combat could also be very gory, with each corporeal NPC having organs, blood, bones, etc.

The quests and worship of your followers in the normal world would net you a lot of hell power, eventualy allowing you to fully possess normal world people and even manifest phisically in the real world at the cost of a fair bit of hell power, allowing you to do many more things directly, this being apparently the fastest way to gain hell power. You could even end up having a cult dedicated to you, and the worship of your cultists would generate a constant stream of hell power to you.

Anyway, after rising enough ranks in hell, you'd gain more rights, such as the right to travel between hell worlds, keep yourself safe by gaining the right to build a house/mansion/fortress of your own in hell, being able to take more important tasks from more important devils, etc.

Unfortunely, the dream ended shortly after I gained enough power to work directly under an archdevil, right after my cult in the normal world got destroyed by militant clerics, which hurt my hell power income badly. It was really sad to awaken and find out that game doenst really exist :C
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 09:43:24 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: May 04, 2015, 08:06:36 am »

Rarely do I ever dream about games, much less roguelikes, but tonight was a pleasant exception.

Same here. Sounds amazing.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: May 04, 2015, 09:09:18 am »

Blood War

I want that game so badly now :c
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: May 04, 2015, 01:49:20 pm »

7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: May 04, 2015, 01:55:03 pm »

Blood War

MAKE IT

I'm learning python right now. I suppose I could give it a try once I'm done with my tutorial, unless someone with more talent wants to try before :v

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: May 04, 2015, 02:02:27 pm »

It'd be totally cool if someone made something akin to my dream :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: May 04, 2015, 02:51:12 pm »

Speaking of video game related dreams, I made one of them recently:
It was about a very obscure game, possibly from japan. I'm not sure if it was a horror game, since it was very surrealist. I remember that there was an Easter egg that would appear if you moved a pen in front of the screen while on the main menu, it was a jumpscare. At some point I got thrown at ridiculous speed from the side of a cliff and I was trying to figure how to negate the fall damage. I think I succeeded because I was still alive when I landed. At this point I was trying to summon some kind of ally, who seemed to be a good friend of mine, by making a recursive event happen. It was something about me appearing or traveling through time at a variable frequency, which I was in control. I was afraid to make it happen too frequently because it might've crashed the game/world (at this point it was hard to determine whenever it was real or a game). I remember that this was the second game in a series. The first one was bare bone and hard to play. Everyone was surprised when the developer announced a third game because we thought the series was finished. We were all hyped about it, but in the end the game was largely made to appeal to the fanbase's nostalgia. Despite this the game was extremely popular and brought a lot of people into the game (at this point it was some kind of mmo game set on a tiny floating island and involved creepy child things which we were supposed to kill in a variety of ways). That dream makes absolutely no sense to me and it was really hard to find a way to write it down in a semi-coherent way.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: May 04, 2015, 04:16:16 pm »

Blood War

MAKE IT

I'm learning python right now. I suppose I could give it a try once I'm done with my tutorial, unless someone with more talent wants to try before :v

Try it!!! "You can only learn by doing - oh, and by locking yourself in a room with a bunch of randomly sxtending spikes. But that only works for most things." - dwarf fortress.
One wheel short of a wagon

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: May 05, 2015, 05:25:12 am »

Lock yourself in a room with pythons, duh.
Yes, the snakes.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: May 05, 2015, 11:21:42 am »

I wish learning how to program was this easy -_-. I'm nowhere near being good enough to attempt a project like that and I can't advance as quickly as I want because the bit I've reached involve remembering a bunch of operations by heart, so I doubt stressing me with a death threat will help me. Maybe for the next part...

And for when I actually start, I'll probably make a new thread and make a post here to tell you about it. It might take a while though.
Oh, and also, should I make it in the creative projects or in the other games board?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: May 05, 2015, 07:20:15 pm »

Just woke up from a dream where Ray Barone was a rugged wasteland mercenary-type guy in the Fallout world.
He was in some sort of ruined, once-palatial government building with books and papers strewn all over the floor, and rows of wooden benches with robots built to hang over the seats. You could press buttons on the robots to hear various recorded propaganda, along with perhaps a little bit of actual information about the past.

Ray had a pre-teen daughter with him, who he was basically babysitting through the wasteland. She kept pressing buttons and asking questions, and so of course Ray kept responding with amusing sarcastic remarks. I can't remember if there was a laugh track in the dream, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Anyway, eventually they leave that place, heading out through some kind of short tunnel- I think the building they were in was some sort of bunker, or perhaps even a weird Vault. That puts them outdoors on a beach, of all places. It looks remarkably normal given the setting, but then I suppose a lot of post-apoc settings have the beaches and oceans as rare safe places.

The main characters of Inbetweeners were out there on the beach, splashing around in the water. I think Ray and his daughter had been travelling with them earlier, everyone was friendly. My memory's starting to fade, but there was a girl there, too, and she and Wil found a pile of cookies in the sand and told Ray about it. He suggested that they grind them to powder and then eat them, washing them down with some salt water.

...It made more sense when I drank it.
Oh well, the idea of Ray Romano playing some badass post-apocalyptic wanderer was funny enough to make the dream worthwhile. 
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: May 05, 2015, 07:24:03 pm »

I wish learning how to program was this easy -_-. I'm nowhere near being good enough to attempt a project like that and I can't advance as quickly as I want because the bit I've reached involve remembering a bunch of operations by heart, so I doubt stressing me with a death threat will help me. Maybe for the next part...

And for when I actually start, I'll probably make a new thread and make a post here to tell you about it. It might take a while though.
Oh, and also, should I make it in the creative projects or in the other games board?
I think that if you're just starting a project, it goes in CP, else it goes in OG.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: May 05, 2015, 09:33:39 pm »

Just went back and read the past few pages. Man, I love this thread, although it does make me somewhat sad that I can hardly comment on all the awesome dreams individually. :-/

Eric Blank, that dream about the elf town was awesome. Baffler's wizard dream was great, too.
I haven't been remembering that many dreams, lately. Usually I wake up feeling somewhat disconcerted from a dream, go back to sleep and forget it. And when I do remember dreams I usually don't write them down until it's too late.
Pretty sure the dream I posted just before began with me making a post on Bay12, and I loaded up my old Fallout save out of nostalgia. I usually only remember sections of my dreams, because they're generally just one long series of strange scenes that spans the entire night.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: May 06, 2015, 12:26:59 am »

I dreamed that I was playing the beta for a really interesting roguelike or something, called "Blood War"...

I'd actually enjoy playing that game a lot. Reminds me of a forum game I ran a while ago. It died because I was terrible as running a game but the overall idea was pretty similar except I swapped out the term devils, hell, etc with other words.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 339