Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Cave crab death pit. Thoughts?

Yes! Let the death pinchings commence!
- 6 (75%)
Eh, I could go with ants or crabs.
- 2 (25%)
No! I want my promised giant ant death pit!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28

Author Topic: The Story of Limulid, Goldenrocks. - Retired  (Read 48009 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: The Story of Limulid, Goldenrocks.
« Reply #225 on: December 10, 2012, 12:10:44 pm »

I must say, The Jade Knife is a pretty awesome title to get.

Also, it's nice to see the cave crabs get into the action. Giant Beetles are more powerful, but Cave Crabs can't be underestimated.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 10, 2012, 04:40:04 pm »

Especially when they have two can latch body part shaking you around or ripping limbs off.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 12, 2012, 01:26:31 am »

Late obsidian saw the beginning of spring, though it had yet to arrive on the calender. The barracks was still slowly rising, but Feral's insistence on building materials was the main obstacle. The new apartment building was also attached to the armory, making it easier to arm the clan if needed. When spring finally arrived, they were still working diligently and the hobgoblins began to pack up to leave for home, or wherever they intended to go. The highlight of the new year was the whir of gears, and a dead xelic being found outside the ancillary door. Slowly but surely however, the clan's living space grew, and additional supplies were loaded into the old dorm, which now also served as a permanent hospital. The river also thawed shortly after, indicating it was at least the 4th of Granite. “We'll try to coax some of your people to come here. I'm sorry none arrived last year.” The caravan master said. “We'll appreciate it. Thank you.” Feral said, shaking his hand. “Live well dwarves.” The hobgoblin said before driving his beetles onward. With that, the residents of Limulid we left to their own devices again. Eventually more than half the clan had beds to call their own, and one of them had taken to working a loom and clothier's shop so they could put the large amounts of cloth they had purchased over the years to use. And in a sad turn of events yet again, no migrants came. [Once again “The fortress attracted no migrants” message. Starting to get a little annoyed because now I need the manpower for my animal taming operations.] However, the barracks was finished, with beds and storage if they were needed, and the militia had a place to train on their own to keep their skills sharp.

By last spring the apartment was nearly finished, permitting more of their number their own beds. One night at dinner, Corai was struck with an epiphany. “Gold!” He said suddenly. “Come again?” Slade asked. “We struck gold didn't we? Let's mine it out and pave over the roadbed in gold! The place is called Goldenrocks isn't it?” He said enthusiastically. “Yeah, Goldenrocks. Not Goldenroads.”Anvil retorted through a mouthful of boar meat. “Ah yes, BUT! What better way to attract more dwarfpower than to pave our main road in gold ingots!” The group sat for a moment. “Dwarf has a point.” Splint said. “If we do something that frivilous, then dwarves will see we have the wealth for it.” Some nodded, others said nothing. Midnight however quickly became the focus when she walked in on her own. “You know what? Screw it. Wax, Slade, get into the workshaft and bring us up some gold tomorrow. If it takes that to show the world we're successful, then so be it.” Wax and Slade nodded, and went back to their meals.  They heard trumpeting outside and many set aside thie food and grabbed their amrs, expecting an ambush, but instead they found a giant war beetle. It lay motionless, with pus leaking from cracks in its chitin. Targe rushed over and shook the beetle, but t did not stir. “Looks like it died from an infection.” Targe sighed, looking over the injuries. “Can we give it a headstone Feral?” The espedition leader shook his head. It hadn't earned a name to be remembered, so with heavy hearts, Targe and Squid hoisted the creature up and moved it to the refuse heap.

[So yup. Another pisspoor short update. Once more we evidently haven't exported enough shiny shit to draw in people, all but one kid is walking, and a beetle died of injuries sustained in the winter ambushes. We're now mining out a gold vein to build the road. That might draw someone in.]

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 12, 2012, 11:28:38 am »

Golden roads make for happy thoughts, if nothing else.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 12, 2012, 11:34:57 am »

Indeed, but I figure such a blatent display of wealth should coax a few dwarves to the stockade. Question regarding metals. Would crusible steel be better spent on weapons or armor, and how good is tempered crystal? I'd imagine at least as good as bronze given the price.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 12, 2012, 11:49:12 am »

Tempered Crystal is better than copper but worse than bronze. I usually make goblets out of it unless I really need armor or weapons. I think it's decent for blunt weapons, but that's about it.

Crucible Steel is best used on weapons, especially bladed ones, since most of its advantage over normal steel is when cutting things. Still, it's a decent choice for either and I think Crucible Steel armor will slightly beat out normal steel weapons. I just find weapons to be a more efficient use of it unless I can produce it on my own.
Come play Mafia with us!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 12, 2012, 12:01:01 pm »

Alright thanks. I'll probably stick with the incindium imports for the militia's weapons, if only because I've decided on a read theme for thier gear, so it'll make a fine sword to sell. and a set of trade goods from the crystal.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 12, 2012, 12:10:12 pm »

Can't go wrong with Incendium weapons!
Come play Mafia with us!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 12, 2012, 12:15:20 pm »

Indeed. That stuff has served amazingly well so far. Out of curiosity where does it stand on weapons?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 12, 2012, 12:48:21 pm »

Indeed. That stuff has served amazingly well so far. Out of curiosity where does it stand on weapons?

One of the best in the game for weapons. Elementium is better, and Adamantium is better for edged weapons. Mithril...I can't remember. I think Mithril is slightly worse, but it might depend on weapon type.

Back in the 40d days it was easy to remember where stuff stood, since you had pure bonuses to Weapons and Armor for each material. I tried to keep the same balance with the move over to the more detailed properties, but it gets a bit fuzzier.

In any case, Incendium is great for weapons, Ward Iron is great for armor, and Tempestium is Fantastic for ammo. Glacium is slightly better than steel, so it's kind of in between Incendium and Ward Iron for both armor and weapons.
Come play Mafia with us!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 12, 2012, 12:50:42 pm »

Funny you should mention mithril. i bought a bar from the vamari caravan. Also: Short update coming, including a mining snafu and Targe going a bit loopy upstairs.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 12, 2012, 12:53:41 pm »

Mithril is pretty awesome. I like using it for armor or slashing weapons. Or you can alloy it to get some pretty good materials. You've got plenty of gold, so if you trade for Platinum you could make Orichalcum, which is pretty good all around and fits your red scheme. Heavy stuff, so it makes good blunt weapons and shields.
Come play Mafia with us!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 12, 2012, 12:58:43 pm »

I tend to avoid metal shields for material concerns (three bars for a basic shield) but when i get the dwarves to outfit with blunts I'll have several orichalcum hammers and wrought iron maces waiting for use. Also a spoiler! Hostile cave fish tribe! Poll going up on the matter, vote now!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 12, 2012, 01:18:59 pm »

I voted to leave them alone, at least for now. The community is too small to afford to take unnecessary risks, so unless we really need to space they are occupying I wouldn't worry about them until we really need to. Plus, they make good FB fodder.
Come play Mafia with us!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 12, 2012, 01:19:58 pm »

So that's one to let them be and play security guards and one to gut them like... Well cave fishes. For now they'll be left alone until more votes come in.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28