Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves won't build up stair under dug up/down stair?  (Read 6301 times)

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
Dwarves won't build up stair under dug up/down stair?
« on: October 14, 2012, 12:55:41 pm »

Hello!

I was creating a cistern and mistakenly channeled it out without a way for my miners to escape. No problem, I thought, because I had an up/down stair dug into the z-level above, so I designated an up stair be built on the open space below it. The game let me make that build order.

However, nothing is happening. The job is listed as inactive and my miners have long since died. I could have sworn I was able to build stairs "down" (like from the cavern ceiling to keep my main shaft straight) underneath dug stairs. But nothing is happening. What did I do wrong?

X_______              X= up/down stair.  __ = floor
________

SnK-Arcbound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves won't build up stair under dug up/down stair?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 12:59:37 pm »

What did you select as the building material, and was it accessable to your miners. It's possible you picked something that one of your other dwarfs only had access to and they just didn't get around to building it.

xl 4ndre lx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 01:21:11 pm »

I've had this problem before. Your mason needs to be able to access the same level as the stair you are trying to build. If your miners were trapped on that level then there was no way for the mason to get there.

In the future you could try digging an upward ramp with your trapped miner to get back to a staircase.( IIRC you should also be able to dig an upward stair and an up/down stair to travel back up to you fortress)

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 01:26:56 pm »

Wow, everyone is so fast. Thanks! Yes, no mason can get to that level.

That's kind of disappointing, though. It seems to me that dwarves should be able to build staircases down (into the depths) as long as there is a down stair or up/down stair on the level above.

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 06:30:49 pm »

Perhaps if you had turned on masonry for the miners and resumed the job, that could have saved them!

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 10:03:04 pm »

Or you could airdrop some masons in there, along with a few boulders.

Or masons first, and then boulders   :D
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.