Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Need a laptop that can run df smoothly that isn't going to break my wallet.  (Read 3965 times)

darthdader

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I am in school and need a laptop for taking notes and whatnot.  But I also want to be able to use it for playing df when i'm on the road or somewhere were i don't have my desktop (including school).  Could someone please post a link to a laptop that is relatively cheap but can run dwarf fortress smoothly (with graphic sets)?

Edit: Thanks for the feedback guys its been really helpful!  The only game i'm planning on playing on this laptop is dwarf fortress, since this is gonna be mainly for school.  And i'm looking for really just the cheapest i can get away with that can run df smoothly with 4x4 embark size and a generous (but not huge!) amount of dwarfs and animals.  If any links can be provided that would be great.  Thanks!  :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 06:52:52 pm by darthdader »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Don't worry about the graphics much, they shouldn't affect FPS too greatly.

darthdader

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Don't worry about the graphics much, they shouldn't affect FPS too greatly.
So I should just get one with about 4gb of ram and a decent processor?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile

Yeah, get something with fast RAM, though anything beyond 3 aren't helpful unless you does other thing at same time. And fast processor, DF only takes one core so you don't need many cores. Low clock count per instruction helps, which means latest processor you can get!

Otherwise it's more up to your patience :D

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile

fast RAM
...? Does not compute.

OP:
Higher ghz, at least two cores (so you can run something else besides DF at the same time), and at least 2 GB of RAM, I think. Processor is probably the most important factor, and you can skimp on the graphics card as much as you'd like, unless you're playing other games.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 07:40:49 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile

fast RAM
...? Does not compute.

OP:
Higher ghz, at least two cores (so you can run something else besides DF at the same time), and at least 2 GB of RAM, I think. Processor is probably the most important factor, and you can skimp on the graphics card as much as you'd like, unless you're playing other games.

Well, there're bus speed for RAM to CPU, I don't remember the technical name nor detail, but it determines how fast information can be shuttled back and forth since CPU's typically somewhat faster than RAM, and from what I'm aware of, what DF does is bigger than CPU's cache can typically manage.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ahhhh, that's the DDR number (which I can't remember what it stands for). The desktop I'm using is a DDR2 800, which means an I/O bus clock of 400 MHz. Higher is better (and that goes for the DDR(x) number too). There's also CAS (column address strobe) latency, but they don't usually put that in the machine specs, and it can take a bit of researching to find it.

wikipedia edit: DDR = Double Data Rate
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 09:25:49 am by Talvieno »

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why can't you bring your desktop to school? I assume you mean college, and I have a desktop here.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile

Why can't you bring your desktop to school? I assume you mean college, and I have a desktop here.

Classes, not having room in dorm, not being able to get help with moving, etc etc.

I hears all about this newfanged notebook computers showing up in all of them classes ;D

muzzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ahhhh, that's the DDR number (which I can't remember what it stands for). The desktop I'm using is a DDR2 800, which means an I/O bus clock of 400 MHz. Higher is better (and that goes for the DDR(x) number too). There's also CAS (column address strobe) latency, but they don't usually put that in the machine specs, and it can take a bit of researching to find it.

wikipedia edit: DDR = Double Data Rate
The wikipedia page for CAS latency has some nice, relatively simple examples of how data rate and CAS latency interact.

Also, nitpicking here, different DDR types are incompatible. So DDR3 might be faster than DDR2, but you can't upgrade. At least not without buying a new motherboard and CPU. But of course that rarely matters for notebooks.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, nitpicking here, different DDR types are incompatible. So DDR3 might be faster than DDR2, but you can't upgrade. At least not without buying a new motherboard and CPU.
I know, but he's buying a completely new system, not upgrading existing memory.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Darthdader, you should actually be a little more specific of what you mean by "relatively cheap". And also, it would be good to know where you live since that may matter a bit for recommendations.

Now, I'm personally using Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 15". It runs DF very smoothly, with over 200 dwarves in 3*3 embark I can still maintain FPS of 80-150, depending on the situation. I paid something like 1000€ from it when I bought it a bit over year ago. I just checked the website of manufacturer, and similar computer costs something like 500$.

It's also good to note that, with around 100-200 extra dollars (not sure, here where I live it's about 90€) you can get On-Site warranty for three years, which covers everything. And they come (or send the parts) to your home in case of problems. Without extra costs. And in three years I'm almost sure it will pay itself back to you...
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

fast RAM
...? Does not compute.

OP:

Nope, RAM speed is the single most important factor here.

darthdader

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Thanks for the feedback guys its been really helpful!  The only game i'm planning on playing on this laptop is dwarf fortress, since this is gonna be mainly for school.  And i'm looking for really just the cheapest i can get away with that can run df smoothly with 4x4 embark size and a generous (but not huge!) amount of dwarfs and animals.  If any links can be provided that would be great.  Thanks!  :)

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

TL;DR.

The laptops my school got everyone runs DF pretty well, im rolling a consistant 100 fps on fort mode and i'm into my second year with 98 dwarves running around.
They are Lenovo Thinkpad Edges,
Or someshit like that.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧
Pages: [1] 2