Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 27

Author Topic: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness!  (Read 77667 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness!
« Reply #255 on: January 11, 2017, 06:17:18 pm »

As an outcast i ran into a lighthouse and became its keeper.
Decided to eat some meat chunk that appeared overnight and got this message, seems like there's something missing in the report "...affected you because of your lack of. " :
http://i.imgur.com/ZjpmLa5.jpg

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 11, 2017, 10:16:25 pm »

Good news!  I was able to set up an import of Stallion Tradition goods without incident.  Apparently, only the Kovian Cultism goods are bugged, as per the above report.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 12, 2017, 07:12:52 am »

Good news!  I was able to set up an import of Stallion Tradition goods without incident.  Apparently, only the Kovian Cultism goods are bugged, as per the above report.

Neat! The exception is basically saying that I did a silly thing that prevents other traders from having an effect in your trading of Cultism goods, so it is inconvenient but even if you click ignore it should work reasonably well. It'll be fixed for the next release nonetheless.

As an outcast i ran into a lighthouse and became its keeper.
Decided to eat some meat chunk that appeared overnight and got this message, seems like there's something missing in the report "...affected you because of your lack of. " :
http://i.imgur.com/ZjpmLa5.jpg

It doesn't look like it had any consequences other than displaying a message that it shouldn't, still I added a new safeguard to keep the game from doing that.

Unfortunately, right now I'm kind of deep into the feyfolk features and territory events for collapsed societies, so the fixes won't be available until these other features are ready too.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 12, 2017, 06:26:14 pm »

Sounds like fair tradeoff, as feyfolk and apocalypse is more interesting anyways.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 12, 2017, 10:24:06 pm »

It's been several versions since I last played (not long after trade was implemented), but anybody have suggestions for not being awful at this? I really want to like it, but never seem to be able to make any progress.

Specifically, I can never seem to get enough capital/earnings to do anything at all. When starting in the highest capital category, after one or two actions I manage to escalate things too much and get endlessly attacked by capital ships or giant monsters until I'm doomed. Otherwise, I sort of endlessly fritter about in a few districts not really making any progress either in funds, stats, or other metrics of progress.

So... any tips on the basics?

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 13, 2017, 02:16:26 am »

Get favors with a faction that offers "meditation", that lowers generic tension. Scout out a location with good amount of money and weak defences, like a lone renascent. Take over that region, put someone to collect the dough, use favors to lower tension and profit.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 13, 2017, 01:32:36 pm »

Actually, success at the highest starting funds is easy.  Do the following:

1) Hire something powerful.  You don't want to lose your expedition to defending forces, and you have the funds to avoid it (most of the time).
2) Hire something smart/scary (high Int and/or Terror), ideally a Renascent.
3) Travel to a few territories with your expedition.
4) Once you've found a territory with more than 1000 in value, send an envoy to buy it.  If you send a high Int unit for human defenders or a high Terror unit for monsters, then you can usually buy the territory for less than its value.  Congratulations, now you have a place that is both free to visit and carries no risk!  Start extracting the territory to get your money back.

So, basically just exploit the Send Envoy option to buy up most of the Colony.  Once you run out of territory with positive values, you should have enough to buy up the rest.  And Send Envoy doesn't generate Local Tension.

Also trade = profit.  If you know how to do that, you should be ok income-wise.

Also
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Admittedly, lower tier characters will be able to rely upon the above less and less, but its a good and simple start without giving away too much.

Please note that my giving this advice will likely lead to balance changes that may negate it, ha ha.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 13, 2017, 09:39:08 pm »

Thanks. I seem to recall that after one territory (no matter how I obtained it) high-end foes would then constantly sniff about my abode even when tension was low, resulting in more fighting and fatigue. Also, my trade deals failed frequently enough that I barely made a profit in trade.

It has been a while, though, so I should give it another chance.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 13, 2017, 11:30:38 pm »

Thanks. I seem to recall that after one territory (no matter how I obtained it) high-end foes would then constantly sniff about my abode even when tension was low, resulting in more fighting and fatigue. Also, my trade deals failed frequently enough that I barely made a profit in trade.

It has been a while, though, so I should give it another chance.

I remember those days.  The game seems less aggressive now.  And truces (which prevent an Enemy unit from attacking you) are relatively cheap.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 16, 2017, 08:46:14 am »

I think I found a bug. If you win a cycle while your character is doing a project (I was building a higher level shelter and won by an artifact) you are not available for projects the next cycle. The next cycle I can assign allies to do project, but not myself. I suspect the game somehow thinks my character is still occupied by the project he was doing before or something?

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 16, 2017, 04:39:45 pm »

I think I found a bug. If you win a cycle while your character is doing a project (I was building a higher level shelter and won by an artifact) you are not available for projects the next cycle. The next cycle I can assign allies to do project, but not myself. I suspect the game somehow thinks my character is still occupied by the project he was doing before or something?

Your suspicion was correct. The game wasn't checking for busy player characters at the end of the cycles because they are especial like that. This will be fixed for the next release.

Specifically, I can never seem to get enough capital/earnings to do anything at all. When starting in the highest capital category, after one or two actions I manage to escalate things too much and get endlessly attacked by capital ships or giant monsters until I'm doomed. Otherwise, I sort of endlessly fritter about in a few districts not really making any progress either in funds, stats, or other metrics of progress.

Adventurers do have to rely quite a bit on lucky opportunities right now. I'll put higher on my priority list something to bridge the gap between outcast-like earnings and merchant-like ones.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 17, 2017, 01:44:56 am »

Quote from: Vaccean
Adventurers do have to rely quite a bit on lucky opportunities right now. I'll put higher on my priority list something to bridge the gap between outcast-like earnings and merchant-like ones.

How about adventurers actually going on adventures? Like expeditions to Hieronhorte to raid a mysterious temple of doom, running away from rolling boulders and retrieving loot? It would be a nice thematic shift from fighting to survive - fighting for wealth & glory - pulling strings for money - pulling strings for power.

Of course, the trouble is making it different from quests for artifacts, hmm.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 17, 2017, 05:02:53 pm »

How about adventurers actually going on adventures? Like expeditions to Hieronhorte to raid a mysterious temple of doom, running away from rolling boulders and retrieving loot?

The way I see it, it's either adding a whole new dungeon crawling mechanic or more complex and adventury jobs such as private investigator or archaeologist that require the players to travel to different territories trying to perform a set of actions instead of just one in exchange for larger rewards.

Given enough time, of course, we'll probably get both at some point in the future.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 17, 2017, 10:32:49 pm »

Well, gave two tries in the latest build.

First, as a merchant. Was doing fine until I purchased my first territory via envoy (in retrospect, perhaps earlier than I should have). After that got hounded by a relatively high terror unit until I was spooked out of my abode. Figured I'd start over, though I probably could have stuck through with it for a while (ended up in Pervert's Row, which is generally not where I prefer to spend my exile).

Second, as a noble. The terror beyond sight (or whatever the proper name is) consistently slaughtered anyone who dared take up the trade route I had set up, then started attacking the settlement. This was after one territory was purchased via envoy. This one was probably my fault - spent my money on a solid unit on detail before finding that training a single troop would take 80+ weeks. So only a few poorly-trained renascents against the terror.

Should I be waiting until I have a solid force before attempting to acquire any territory at all? Seems a bit bland constantly resting to very slowly build merits and the funds from a single trade route, but perhaps I should just be more patient.

Edit: to note, tension was generally at 0 in each run.

Another edit: to clarify my prior post, it was investment opportunities that failed as opposed to trade deals. Any tips/logic for not making terrible investments? Or better to stick to trade in general?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 10:37:02 pm by Dostoevsky »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 18, 2017, 02:57:58 am »

Well, gave two tries in the latest build.

First, as a merchant. Was doing fine until I purchased my first territory via envoy (in retrospect, perhaps earlier than I should have). After that got hounded by a relatively high terror unit until I was spooked out of my abode. Figured I'd start over, though I probably could have stuck through with it for a while (ended up in Pervert's Row, which is generally not where I prefer to spend my exile).

Second, as a noble. The terror beyond sight (or whatever the proper name is) consistently slaughtered anyone who dared take up the trade route I had set up, then started attacking the settlement. This was after one territory was purchased via envoy. This one was probably my fault - spent my money on a solid unit on detail before finding that training a single troop would take 80+ weeks. So only a few poorly-trained renascents against the terror.

Should I be waiting until I have a solid force before attempting to acquire any territory at all? Seems a bit bland constantly resting to very slowly build merits and the funds from a single trade route, but perhaps I should just be more patient.

Edit: to note, tension was generally at 0 in each run.

Another edit: to clarify my prior post, it was investment opportunities that failed as opposed to trade deals. Any tips/logic for not making terrible investments? Or better to stick to trade in general?

Heh, based on those playthroughs, you just need to play as the Influenced Aristocrat.  Then Terror from the Deep is on YOUR side!
-Yeah, I've totally done that, even though I usually can't afford to bind him to my service.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 27