Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33

Author Topic: [DF 34.11] Warhammer 40k - Underhive Settlement 1.6.1  (Read 103437 times)

chalicier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DF 34.11] Warhammer 40k - Underhive Settlement 1.5.5
« Reply #225 on: August 11, 2013, 05:52:15 pm »

Here's a raw for fixing flu-causing dust storm contamination. Save-compatible.

Awesome, will continue testing. If this version shakes out, I'm planning on using it for my Let's Play.

As for monsters, I'm drawing a blank, although if my Tyranid Hive mod ever gets off the ground it might well produce some fun options.
Hmm, now I think of it... Genestealers, perhaps? Not 100% canon for Necromunda, though. Or maybe Orks, seeded from some loose spores?

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 11, 2013, 06:01:48 pm »

Here's a raw for fixing flu-causing dust storm contamination. Save-compatible.

Awesome, will continue testing. If this version shakes out, I'm planning on using it for my Let's Play.

As for monsters, I'm drawing a blank, although if my Tyranid Hive mod ever gets off the ground it might well produce some fun options.
Hmm, now I think of it... Genestealers, perhaps? Not 100% canon for Necromunda, though. Or maybe Orks, seeded from some loose spores?
Looking forward to seeing it! I was actually considering Tyranids though that seems a bit odd to me given that evil biomes are typically scavvy territory, and having packs of 'gaunts running around might raise some questions as to how a bunch of death-prone inbreds managed to survive and cohabit alongside Tyranids. Orks too I've been considering as a sort of sub-mod using shitloads of castes to represent grots, gretchin, snotlings, meks, wyrdboyz, meks and boyz (I guess the grots would be female and boyz male for the purposes of reproduction, despite the hilarious mental image that comes with.) Although if I get into expanding the playable repertoire scavvies will be first in line, as I can already imagine some fun mechanics to give them. (And orks won't really come into their own until we get the ability to send attackers off-site, anyway.)

By the way, hit me up if you want some graphics for tyranids. I like making graphics sets.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
DORFAMUNDA - NECROMUNDA DF MOD

chalicier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 11, 2013, 08:19:32 pm »

By the way, hit me up if you want some graphics for tyranids. I like making graphics sets.

:D  :D

At the minute my Tyranid mod consists of some experiments with hyperactive grazers (for future rippers), and a DFHack script to force a 1:6 embark ratio. The plan is to embark with 1 "Broodmother" (egg-laying Tyranid mom-beast) and 6 random Gaunts. I've been putting off actually doing the body-part work, though.

Basic gameplay plan goes like this:

- Broodmother -> Eggs -> Grubs
- Various species of Gaunt can collect Biomass and Goop from shrubs, butchery products etc
- Biomass is used to build buildings, to produce weapons like Deathspitters, Fleshborers etc, and in morphstone reactions to turn Grubs into Gaunts and Warriors
- Goop is just food
- Some butchery products also produce Genecode, which can be used in reactions to make more powerful Nids like Lictors, Hive Tyrants, Raveners, Tyrant Guard etc.
- I'm thinking of using the cloning trick to produce infant Rippers from bits of some Gaunt species or other, which can then be slaughtered at adulthood for Biomass after devouring vast quantities of grazing
- Finally, pretty much every single product in the entire thing will be horribly toxic to anything not a Tyranid.

Somewhat amusingly, you've probably knocked development back a few more weeks with these new UHS versions. They're just too damn cool not to delve into properly.

TastyMints

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:love of murder]
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 12, 2013, 12:26:08 am »

As far as evil areas are concerned, you could very easily make "warp-tainted" versions of wildlife you already have with various mutations. I would recommend warp-crazed subhumans as well, can't go wrong with humans gone mad and gifted crab claws with matching chitinous armor material on their torso and arms.

Orcs have infested portions of Necromunda Underhive for a long time. If I recall, the Imperial Fist Space Marines keep a fortress on Necromunda specifically for the purposes of attempting to extricate this infestation, so far unsuccessful.

Tyranid Genestealer cults exist anywhere and everywhere. There's creatures on planets that people have known for millennia that turn out to be Tyranid sub-races. Some people think Catachan Devils are a long lost species of Tyranid.

On top of that, various flora and fauna of the Underhive have made their way to Necromunda via trade and schemes for some time. Vent Lurkers are an off planet import. It would not be a stretch of the imagination to think that a rich member of a House or the Planetary Government would bring a breeding pair of strange or dangerous animals that then escaped or had been intentionally placed into the Underhive for one reason or another.

Basically what I'm saying is: Imagination is your oyster, just remember the GrimDark.

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 12, 2013, 03:06:12 am »

As far as evil areas are concerned, you could very easily make "warp-tainted" versions of wildlife you already have with various mutations. I would recommend warp-crazed subhumans as well, can't go wrong with humans gone mad and gifted crab claws with matching chitinous armor material on their torso and arms.

Orcs have infested portions of Necromunda Underhive for a long time. If I recall, the Imperial Fist Space Marines keep a fortress on Necromunda specifically for the purposes of attempting to extricate this infestation, so far unsuccessful.

Tyranid Genestealer cults exist anywhere and everywhere. There's creatures on planets that people have known for millennia that turn out to be Tyranid sub-races. Some people think Catachan Devils are a long lost species of Tyranid.

On top of that, various flora and fauna of the Underhive have made their way to Necromunda via trade and schemes for some time. Vent Lurkers are an off planet import. It would not be a stretch of the imagination to think that a rich member of a House or the Planetary Government would bring a breeding pair of strange or dangerous animals that then escaped or had been intentionally placed into the Underhive for one reason or another.

Basically what I'm saying is: Imagination is your oyster, just remember the GrimDark.

I think a lack of imagination is my main problem here. Maybe I'll have to go dredging up Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader sourcebooks too. I remember a few of those had some cool monsters suitable for Hive Worlds. The main problem with Orks is that they'd require a civ, and there's already too many of those as it is. You can get a siege every season if the Emperor loves you enough.

As for the Genestealers and 'stealer cults, I've been meaning to put them in since forever, but the main difficulty is in making them balanced. Having stealers show up as megabeasts detracts from their gimmick, and having cultists work like vampires is all well and good, but I can't think of any method to allow the player to detect and cull them earlier. With chaos cultists, you have the murders and the subtle (or not-so-subtle) physical changes to notice, whereas the sort of stuff Genestealer cults do is harder to mimick in DF, especially since you can't really affect reproduction in any meaningful way, so they'll probably stay out until there's some major changes or somebody shows me up with an incredible trick. If I put them in now, they'd really just be Chaos Cultists with different cosmetics.

Regular mutants are a good idea, though. Maybe even have them trainable for use as slave labour with DFHack's friendship plugin, though I hesitate to push more potentially unstable hacks onto the mod's players (are there even any besides you two?) Or perhaps they could be a layer linked civ, since I haven't used any of those and it seems natural they'd huddle underground. Either way I'd get a chance to play around with body definitions.

PS Is it possible to force a siege by an entity that doesn't actually have an in-world presence via Putnam's force plugin? Or one that doesn't have access to your fort/is otherwise friendly. (Or, at least, benign.)

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 12, 2013, 07:25:18 am »

You can make them cavern siegers, that way there's less clutter as you don't see them on the civ embark screen yet they still siege and steal or whatnot. You could also have them come in groups and set up camp both above and below ground like animal people. That could be kinda cool :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #231 on: August 13, 2013, 05:38:11 am »

PS Is it possible to force a siege by an entity that doesn't actually have an in-world presence via Putnam's force plugin? Or one that doesn't have access to your fort/is otherwise friendly. (Or, at least, benign.)
No and yes. No, you cant force a siege of a civ that does not exist in the world, and yes, you can forge a siege of a civ that has no access to you (island for example)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 20, 2013, 08:57:43 am »

I think a lack of imagination is my main problem here. Maybe I'll have to go dredging up Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader sourcebooks too. I remember a few of those had some cool monsters suitable for Hive Worlds. The main problem with Orks is that they'd require a civ, and there's already too many of those as it is. You can get a siege every season if the Emperor loves you enough.

As for the Genestealers and 'stealer cults, I've been meaning to put them in since forever, but the main difficulty is in making them balanced. Having stealers show up as megabeasts detracts from their gimmick, and having cultists work like vampires is all well and good, but I can't think of any method to allow the player to detect and cull them earlier. With chaos cultists, you have the murders and the subtle (or not-so-subtle) physical changes to notice, whereas the sort of stuff Genestealer cults do is harder to mimick in DF, especially since you can't really affect reproduction in any meaningful way, so they'll probably stay out until there's some major changes or somebody shows me up with an incredible trick. If I put them in now, they'd really just be Chaos Cultists with different cosmetics.

Regular mutants are a good idea, though. Maybe even have them trainable for use as slave labour with DFHack's friendship plugin, though I hesitate to push more potentially unstable hacks onto the mod's players (are there even any besides you two?) Or perhaps they could be a layer linked civ, since I haven't used any of those and it seems natural they'd huddle underground. Either way I'd get a chance to play around with body definitions.

oh I'm definately still playing! recently started a deathwatch campaign with some friends; and I just love the way your mod is made. it's done so right the omnissiah clearly smiles on this. ^^
Carch likes steel, tin, pewter, sharks for their sharp teeth, dragons for their possessive nature and magma smelters for their warm glow.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 20, 2013, 11:24:03 am »

I'll give it another go if all those broken reactions got fixed?
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 20, 2013, 11:37:38 am »

I'll give it another go if all those broken reactions got fixed?
All the ones I and everyone else could find, at least. There might be a few stragglers but it's otherwise completely serviceable.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 20, 2013, 03:59:09 pm »

Id love to help but I know next to nothing about the warhammer universe. How about marauding chaos marines? Perhaps go nuts and make the third cavern an alternate dimension full of unspeakable horrors or something? :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #236 on: August 20, 2013, 04:19:39 pm »

Cavern lvl 1 => Caves overrun by tyranids
Cavern lvl 2 => Artificial Cavesystem build by Skaven/Hrud Base
Cavern lvl 3 => Craftworld Ruins :)
Magma-Lake => Nothing to do here.
Below => Chaos/Warp.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 20, 2013, 04:46:14 pm »

errm.. how do I gather promethium from a promethium morass. it used to be a clay collection zone, but no longer works that way?
Carch likes steel, tin, pewter, sharks for their sharp teeth, dragons for their possessive nature and magma smelters for their warm glow.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 20, 2013, 05:10:54 pm »

errm.. how do I gather promethium from a promethium morass. it used to be a clay collection zone, but no longer works that way?

I was a little confused by this too.

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 21, 2013, 05:57:04 am »

Ehhh? According to a bunch of others, the prometheum collection zones didn't work in the first place. Are you claiming otherwise? It would be nice to track down exactly where the problems with that were so it works consistently for all persons, but for now you just take isomeric prometheum boulders to the kiln/chem lab.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33