Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 33

Author Topic: [DF 34.11] Warhammer 40k - Underhive Settlement 1.6.1  (Read 103395 times)

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DF 34.11] Warhammer 40k - Underhive Settlement 1.5.6
« Reply #300 on: October 20, 2013, 06:58:30 pm »

It appears that due to a pair of typos that have been around since Emperor knows when, neither the powered Electrolytic Shrine and the Chymical Laboratorium could be built. I need to change each of the plugin entity files to fix this, but I'll be releasing a fixed version shortly.

Also, 300th post. Yay.

EDIT: It's fixed. Please notify me of any further bugs or mistakes on my part.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 07:09:18 pm by Suds Zimmerman »
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
DORFAMUNDA - NECROMUNDA DF MOD

Etherdrinker

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Etherdrink☼
    • View Profile
Re: [DF 34.11] Warhammer 40k - Underhive Settlement 1.5.7
« Reply #301 on: October 21, 2013, 04:09:17 am »

To make traction bench needs traction bench? than it needs traction bench ?o.O

Also will like some more documentation cause basically I need check every building for figure out where I should use some stuff.

The indestructible wall are like that forever? no special tool for destroy then?

Also how rare is find wood, making some stuff that only is done from wood is pretty silly imo, por exampe exist a lot of rock than could be used as containers or other stuff.

Keep doing this good work, love WH40k universe!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 21, 2013, 05:13:07 am »

Wood can find found growing around bodies of water on the "surface" (ponds of any size, rivers, lake shores.) And the hive supports are made from something only gravity was able to even hurt. So there's no way to get by them except to find a way to get around them. I do agree, documentation on some of this stuff would be helpful though. Took a bit of trial and error to figure out what I needed or where something was made.

Anyway, there's an alternative to making beds and gun furniture in the form of bone (for the gun furniture) and cloth/ cloth and metal bars if you didn't see them. Of course with the latter's case it's only really practical if you got an absurdly lucky embark and have metal to spare.

Also, I thought of something regarding making rust. Why not use the scavenged junk blocks for that instead of ferrum or steel? It seems like there'd be a lot of rust clinging to that stuff and if you're finding/bringing in a large amount of junk piles you can potentially have a lot of them sitting around.

Etherdrinker

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Etherdrink☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 21, 2013, 06:11:45 am »

Actually "Scavenged blocks" were not common in one of my most long games till now, like 5 blocks plus some random stuff and the best thing was an steel armor.

Unless you are talking about something for sure I donīt even aware than exist cause the documentation gap. I canīt do most of the stuff because I dunno where they are should farmed. Was trying to create a sledge hammer with no luck and and trew it away and begin other game. And this time it was for purchase (other games were not in the embark to buy). I will like to chat more, but right now I should go offline for sometime. Cause I want some explanations.

You mention other optional bed I never was aware of, or for sure was red in my games. the latter thing, I canīt even create the workshop so I dunno. After thinking I was getting too bad luck all my embarks with no wood till realize all world lacks of wood. So no way to create charcoal, beds and barrels at the same time. Plus wheelbarrows, minecarts (for Q.Stockpiling).

I really need that documentation.

Laters all guys... need to rest from my 24 hour job turn...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 21, 2013, 06:59:20 am »

You probably forgot to bring a toolkit. You need hand tools to build the, I wanna say reclaimator shop, to start digging through junk piles. Or to build the hiver/craftsman forges, which is where you make your weapons.

And in the craftsman shop there's three bed options besides making them from wood: Make  hammock (needs some cloth; not sure how many.) Make ferrum cot (needs bolt of cloth and possibly one or two ferrum bars,) and make steel cot. The metal beds produce two cots, and the latter can be handy for helping boost bedroom values for your house leader and adminstratum scribe.

Also, don't be afraid to use DFhack's reveal to find things. It's fairly difficult to figure out what's where or at least if your building plans will be screwed up by hive ash or old hive supports/remains.

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 21, 2013, 09:37:25 am »

To make traction bench needs traction bench? than it needs traction bench ?o.O

The traction bench is unchanged from vanilla. I don't think it can even be changed. You build it at the mechanic's workshop. It takes rope and a bed or a table or something.

Also, I thought of something regarding making rust. Why not use the scavenged junk blocks for that instead of ferrum or steel? It seems like there'd be a lot of rust clinging to that stuff and if you're finding/bringing in a large amount of junk piles you can potentially have a lot of them sitting around.

That's a pretty good idea. Main drawback is that I don't want to tie up bags whenever junk is salvaged. I can totally see turning junk piles into rust, but why would you even do that? You may as well be burning money.

Actually "Scavenged blocks" were not common in one of my most long games till now, like 5 blocks plus some random stuff and the best thing was an steel armor.

Unless you are talking about something for sure I donīt even aware than exist cause the documentation gap. I canīt do most of the stuff because I dunno where they are should farmed. Was trying to create a sledge hammer with no luck and and trew it away and begin other game. And this time it was for purchase (other games were not in the embark to buy). I will like to chat more, but right now I should go offline for sometime. Cause I want some explanations.

You mention other optional bed I never was aware of, or for sure was red in my games. the latter thing, I canīt even create the workshop so I dunno. After thinking I was getting too bad luck all my embarks with no wood till realize all world lacks of wood. So no way to create charcoal, beds and barrels at the same time. Plus wheelbarrows, minecarts (for Q.Stockpiling).

I really need that documentation.

Laters all guys... need to rest from my 24 hour job turn...

I advise you read the OP carefully. It will tell you what the most important new workshops do and what the plants are used for. In addition, there are two guides by both Chalicier and myself spoilered in the OP. You can see what you need to build any workshop or item by selecting the option in red.

To build a sledgehammer you need to use the hiver forge, which requires hand tools. Hand tools need to be bought as toolkits under the tool section on embark, or crafted at the craftsman forge. To actually build the sledgehammer you need one or two bars of weapons-grade metal and a log.

If something doesn't appear as an option at embark, it's because you don't have enough points to buy it. Get rid of some crap and try again. This is unchanged from vanilla.

As for wood, all you really need it for is barrels in the early game. You can make rock and metal drums later. If you really need it, trade for it. It is meant to be scarce; this is by design.

I'm probably never going to make a guide to how to make every item in the game, but I'll likely make a guide to setting up the basic essential industries later on. Kids these days. Back in my day, you started playing dwarf fortress blind. There wasn't any wiki or dwarf therapists or illustrated video guide for newbies. You either went in there and made your fortress learning everything as you went, or saw your people go down in a terrible spiral of fire and tantrums, seeing everything you've nourished and loved come undone by the callous hand of fate.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 21, 2013, 09:45:13 am »

Hey now, my only real help was the old tutorial fort for 31.25. Nothing quite like realizing you forgot seeds or forgot that thing you read about flour needing to be cooked to be useful when your people are dropping dead from starvation...

Etherdrinker

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Etherdrink☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 21, 2013, 03:41:43 pm »

I really sorry is I was not clear(my grammar issues).

But I am not writing this observations just because I trying to do bitchy complains, I ve playing Dwarf Fortress even from Vanilla for quite time, no tileset or fancy addons, all plain vanilla. But the only thing I was using a wiki all the time, the normal difficult of the game, even with documentation, is still up.

I know my post was not than complete about what I was doing, believe me, I read the op before post. Check the 2 mini guides. But I lost 2 early embark before I realize It need few rubble rocks for insta-build the water still workshop. And Yeah I used to get materials easily, not the case of Necromunda.

Even from my first embark I get this.
Fuelbar (the one for the Still)
The boxes for bottles
The Tool box
Some barrels
All seeds (even in all games, mod, vanilla, etc I ever hold all possible seeds,mostly underground ones)
5 Rubble stones <---- Not mentioned in the miniguides and those are USEFUL
Food
Groxes
Sliths
(get temporal dyslexia and forgot to save for sledgehammer, then I forgot and Ignored it and this was a vital tool)

1r Embark, was lurking in the river for some wood. And a group of jellyfishes kills 2 settlers (the lumberjack, and 1 herbalist).
threw it away.

2 embark, unlucky about digging and I could not find simple rubble or a suitable spot for a underground base (because the unmineable blocks everywhere). Get caught in a dust storm, them after a group of spider and a random wild grox kills some of my settlers.

3 Embark find a good place to dig a base, plenty of metals and some stones I donīt know for what are used for. Plenty of a good livestock, sliths reproduce, Groxes too. No food issues, still was trying to make farms with no luck because the soil are rocky, planning an irrigation channel with a pump for make muddy plots. The immigrants begin to come in waves. In some point of the game, lost the sight of the missing barrels than were used for store food, and no for the water...till it was too late all settler were thirsty.
Get annoyed by a noob mistake and just quit it for a fresh start again.

Right now I gonna recheck again my starting embark points and get all the important, for a fast settlement.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 21, 2013, 04:01:31 pm »

Clearly English isn't your first language. I'll try my best to answer some of this stuff.

The sledgehammer isn't strictly necessary. It's a highly useful item to have but you don't need one on embark unless you plan on using it to beat local wildlife to death with it. The only shop that needs it is the breaker station.

Embark on caves or along mountain ranges for stone/ores. Everything grows both above and below ground everywhere so that's not much of an issue. That's what I did and aside from habitual head injuries due to neglecting helmets for a lot of my troops early on, I've had a very successful settlement. If all else fails, you can level the cave for stone.

Etherdrinker

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Etherdrink☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 21, 2013, 04:22:51 pm »

Not necessary but imo, pumping the ore yield is like a must for me.

They can grow up and underground, but the farm plots canīt be build in all terrains.

The unmineable blocks are in that way forever? I was thinking like "indestructible? maybe I get explosives or something or a better drill.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 21, 2013, 04:34:14 pm »

If you stick with House Orlock, the ore yields are acceptable without the breaker station. And yes, the undiggable stuff is that way permanently. You can mod your own copy of the mod to remove the undiggable flags from hive supports and hive ash (the soil) but the game becomes stupidly easy.

The farm plots can't be grown on unmuddied stone. If you want to grow things underground you need to find the abandoned colony domes (caverns) and grow stuff there or irrigate a stone room. Otherwise you'll have to stick to the "surface" for growing things.

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 21, 2013, 04:44:20 pm »

Even if you don't get a sledgehammer on embark, you only need to smelt one or two chunks of ferrous slag and one chunk of carbon waste in order to build it yourself. That's not all that much lost in the long term.

If you want to make sure you have access to the underground, embark on a cave (boulder symbol on the embark map, most of them are accessible from the surface.) You'll also get access to silk and you can just wall it off to prevent your fort from being swarmed by underground beasties and plague zombies.

It's also a good idea to restrict barrels to only your water stockpile and always make sure you have enough bottles to keep your still running. I've had it happen more than once that I forgot to keep track of my bottles and my fort died of dehydration and tantruming before I could get make some more. Of course, it probably wasn't going to make it either way.

EDIT: Lately, my adventurers have been having less luck than usual. One of them got ambushed by a Delaque gang, the leader of which had a Plasma Gun. He got hit and was only saved by being able to jump into a river. After a few minutes of stumbling around in the dark trying to find where he was shooting from, he bashed my unfortunate adventurer in the head with his weapon, killing him.

The second one didn't even have a chance. The Delaques just jumped him while he slept and beat him to death.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 04:49:45 pm by Suds Zimmerman »

Etherdrinker

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Etherdrink☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 21, 2013, 05:20:21 pm »

Thanks for the responses (some stuff just forget because today we have DFhack with a lot of plug ins and helps with a plenty of things) and to Suds for the mod.

I will really want to see more and more of this mod.

Is there a future of have a slithly introduction of Imperial Guards? like for some reason they are send for protect the sector, warp demons, Necron tombs, Eldar ambushes the posibilities...!

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 21, 2013, 05:37:32 pm »

Imperial Guard wouldn't be suited to DF, imo, since there's not a way to get las-weapons working in a way that makes sense atm. I was thinking of making a spinoff mod at some point where you play as Orks, and the main antagonists would be Planetary Defense Forces (which are like guardsmen but more expendable.) I might just go and make an entirely separate Gorkamorka mod for that, though, if I find the time.

As for the other beasties, they're too much for Hivers to handle. They can barely fight illiterate gangers with melee weapons and conventional firearms; Necrons and Eldar would be too much for them. Even the enforcers I originally meant to include were too game-breaking (mainly because they were nearly impossible to kill and if you did manage to kill them you'd be getting loads of carapace armour for free.) If I add anything more, it's going to be the kind of stuff you'd see in the Necromunda tabletop game and its supplements.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 21, 2013, 05:40:07 pm »

There's a way to get laser bolts to not stick around after firing if they fail to kill someone, I'm sure. Then we could import nice expensive lasguns (though not boltgun expensive lasguns)
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 33