Poll

Who's excited for Warrens' return?

me
- 8 (16%)
me
- 2 (4%)
me
- 5 (10%)
help i'm trapped in a poll i don't know why i'm here i'm so scared someone please help
- 29 (58%)
me
- 6 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: 1 ... 1033 1034 [1035] 1036 1037 ... 1544

Author Topic: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome ???  (Read 3739132 times)

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome:
« Reply #15510 on: June 17, 2014, 05:48:01 pm »

That was the "Abberant" iirc and I don't know if it's a typo or a word I don't know :V

This appears to be a unique cycle, was Oric trying to avoid this or waiting for it?

It's a word. It's been used twice in what seems to be classes. Aberrant Theif and what ever Mili's class was.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #15511 on: June 17, 2014, 05:54:08 pm »

Mili was an "Aberrant Exile".

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15512 on: June 17, 2014, 06:21:55 pm »

Mili was an "Aberrant Exile".
That technically means that she was just abnormal before she entered the Warrens. Not much else.
At least in my eyes it is.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 08:19:22 pm by javierpwn »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #15513 on: June 17, 2014, 09:30:07 pm »

I think the idea of us being a transdimensional third party collective entity that formed symbiosis with The Target and is going to break the cycle.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

WormArmy

• Bay Watcher
  • I am in fact.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15514 on: June 17, 2014, 11:27:53 pm »

By all means, let us break the Fourth Wall in the aforementioned manner. I find this idea attractive.
my dream is that twoota readers build up an unnatural fear of hollow rectangles that follows them for the rest of their lives

You can't call a man a slimeball if he doesn't rat... and you can't call a slimeball a rat cuz he can't talk. But he always knows. Always.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #15515 on: June 18, 2014, 05:04:22 am »

You're right, Oric has stolen a soul star before (Cain's) so he wants the Astral Influx to get the narrative control for himself.
One problem is why didn't he take it before, but here's a theory:
When a soul is purified in a spirit duel, the results get collected somewhere in the Warrens, so when Oric sez we will die to a Sibling, it could mean that he wants us to die in a spirit duel so he can collect the Astral Influx.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #15516 on: June 18, 2014, 05:15:10 am »

Hmmm..... as Cain mentioned there were 3 of the incredibly powerful soul stars (I think), that could quite nicely correspond to Oric's, Cain's, and Target's?
We've been directly told Oric's is one of them.
Oric took Cain's away, suggesting it's very powerful.
And Astral Influx killed an Immortal.
Which would imply Oric might actually be after the Influx.
Of course, this clashes with the idea that he's harvesting soul charge.

Hmm..... have we established whether Oric is trapped in the Warrens?
If he is, he may be harvesting soul charge to keep the warrens running until such a time as he can obtain the astral influx - the combined power of the three stars could potentially allow him to escape.

(Just my random musings)
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15517 on: June 18, 2014, 05:25:20 am »

Oric being after the Influx seems rather likely, but it just makes sense that Oric would take Cain's Soul Star away, after all, all Soul Stars are powerful.

Influx = Sword
Oric's Star = Hammer

It seems likely that the third Great Star would be an equally "iconic" weapon, so a bow, perhaps? Or an axe, since we haven't seen ranged stars yet (except for maybe Cherish's)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15518 on: June 18, 2014, 05:26:07 am »

Problem with the harvesting soul charge is that we don't know how they harvest it and we actually lose charge from spirit duels.
Even then they could be the same thing, harvesting soul charge and collecting what's left of the loser of the spirit duel.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15519 on: June 18, 2014, 08:36:12 am »

If Oric wants the Influx, why didn't he get it from the chest where we started?  That idea doesn't jive with me.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15520 on: June 18, 2014, 08:50:47 am »

Oric being after the Influx seems rather likely, but it just makes sense that Oric would take Cain's Soul Star away, after all, all Soul Stars are powerful.

Influx = Sword
Oric's Star = Hammer

It seems likely that the third Great Star would be an equally "iconic" weapon, so a bow, perhaps? Or an axe, since we haven't seen ranged stars yet (except for maybe Cherish's)
As far as we know, His is called the Claw, and we saw something that might have been his star.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If Oric wants the Influx, why didn't he get it from the chest where we started?  That idea doesn't jive with me.
I'm thinking that he would only want it in it's fully leveled up form. It seems that every cycle, it reverts back into a Level 1 Star; and the flame coils back into itself.
It was very plainly given to us.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15521 on: June 18, 2014, 08:58:03 am »

Influx = Sword
Oric's Star = Hammer

As far as we know, His is called the Claw, and we saw something that might have been his star.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I was simply pointing out that Oric taking Cain's star away doesn't have to mean that it is one of the Great Stars.
And maybe my approach in determining "power" by Second Shift is wrong. Or at least partially. the First Shift is not simply a storage modus, and it makes sense that Great Stars would be very powerful even outside of their Second Shift. The Astral Influx is then logically a Great Star, seeing as it has played an immensely important role and it is also the only Star that we have determined how to use "properly" so far (except for Yaos' Star, but that one was pretty obvious). Beyond being the only one we have been able to use properly, perspective shifts are very powerful, and FFS stated that the original intent behind this game was exploring the possibilities of a game where you can't just do "Be [other character]", but instead have to use a physical object to change perspective.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15522 on: June 18, 2014, 09:00:14 am »

It's the same as why hasn't Oric killed us yet. Because he wants something specific to happen. Specifically he wants a sibling to kill us.
And ffs stated that (at least one of them) they would be spirit duels.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15523 on: June 18, 2014, 11:16:55 am »

Oric wants "the aberration." We can infer from the Twoota tip that this is something he has been questing for for a long time, probably multiple cycles, possibly all cycles.

We've seen the term "aberration" in one other context; the classes "Aberrant Exile" and "Aberrant Thief."

What if the aberration Oric desires is the quality possessed by those members of the class?

Let's quickly review the inhabitants of the Warrens: Mercenaries and Illborn, who had their souls sucked out through a bendy straw as part of entering the Warrens. Siblings, who may or may not be related by blood but are certainly united under Oric. Angels, all those grey-skinned weirdos who are presumably the original inhabitants of the Warrens.

Let's now suppose that there's another broad category of Warrenites: the Aberrants. We know that they are a discrete group (Mili was an Aberrant Exile and lived in Underside; there must be something she was exiled from, and that would be the rest of the Aberrants.) We also know that they have thieves in their number, since there is a sidequest to catch them. We also know that they are not related to the other main groups in the Warrens; we've had extensive dealings with Mercs, Siblings, and the Angels, and the subject of the Aberrants never came up.

The common factor between the other three groups is that Oric controls them; if the Aberrants are completely separate, then perhaps Oric does not control them. The Warrens being what it is, I hypothesize that "the aberration" is whatever quality or power they possess that is able to keep them independent of Oric.

Following this line of thought, it could behoove us to speak with Polydectes on this subject, as he's the only other person we met who is explicitly subversive and hiding from the Angels (and by extension, Oric.) He might be an Aberrant himself, or he might have dealings with them. This can probably wait until the next time we're ready to upgrade somebody in the Dark Cathedral, however. In the short time, maybe we should see if Al knows more about Mili's past than he's revealed to Ciro.

Al: Think about Mili

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15524 on: June 18, 2014, 11:21:02 am »

I just had a completely unrelated thought.
Ciro is a woman.
Ciro is also a bloodmage.
The bandana cost her no MHP.
What blood did she use to create it?
<_______>
Pages: 1 ... 1033 1034 [1035] 1036 1037 ... 1544