Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 790107 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Election Boogaloo
« Reply #1455 on: June 09, 2013, 10:53:43 am »

I will restate this point:  what reactions have you seen?
There is a bit of a media outrage, it's at least mentioned everywhere. Newspapers are accusing Obama of double standards regarding freedom vs safety. Big newssites had headlines like Big Brother Obama and Obama - Americas highest-ranking spy.
Political response is rather measured. The government denies knowing about it, the ministry of justice and the ministry for consumer protection demand investigations, it's gonna be talked about in parliament and in diplomatic talks with the US. Media is speculating wether our secret servive had access to PRISM data or not.
There's not really a popular outrage, internet-savy people saw this coming or suspected it (US companies like Facebook are data-hungry anyway), the rest doesn't know what it's about and doesn't care.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: June 09, 2013, 12:32:19 pm »

Anonymous had gained some lasting credibility out of this, even if not mentioned in the media. One wonder's how they're getting around the surveillance.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: June 09, 2013, 12:52:55 pm »

Surveillance doesn't stop people from committing crimes, it just punishes them later. They'll have a scapegoat "hacker" for this in a couple of weeks, I'm sure.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: June 09, 2013, 01:12:35 pm »

Surveillance doesn't stop people from committing crimes, it just punishes them later. They'll have a scapegoat "hacker" for this in a couple of weeks, I'm sure.
Scapegoat maybe, Hacker no. They, as anyone could tell you, are now very serious about finding out how this stuff got out. Whoever it was, he'll be hunted down and prosecuted.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: June 09, 2013, 01:23:43 pm »

And whoever they pin it on will be called a hacker (hence the quotation marks). It doesn't matter how that person made it happen. They're associated with Anonymous, so that's the label that will be applied. Alternatively, I may have entirely misinterpreted your post.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1461 on: June 09, 2013, 01:42:53 pm »

Scapegoat maybe, Hacker no. They, as anyone could tell you, are now very serious about finding out how this stuff got out. Whoever it was, he'll be hunted down and prosecuted.
Reminds me of the supposed 'lulzsec' member who was just a guy who hosted an IRC that lulzsec used. A dangerous thing about British media is that they'll always cite their source as an 'official' of some sort, never named. So they can say to reporters they've caught a hacker and face no backlash when the obvious lie is found out. But by then, the damage is well and truly done.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: June 09, 2013, 01:44:57 pm »

Well, they also claim to have hacked into PRISM and dled Obama's Skype conversation.

Seriously, Obama is on Skype? And his conversations are available to any NSA clerk?

Well, methink Anonymous is pulling stuff out of their asses. Together with the realease of public document, it's really ridiculous.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: June 09, 2013, 01:49:59 pm »

Well, they also claim to have hacked into PRISM and dled Obama's Skype conversation.

Seriously, Obama is on Skype? And his conversations are available to any NSA clerk?

Well, methink Anonymous is pulling stuff out of their asses. Together with the realease of public document, it's really ridiculous.
In that case I think we can blame the source.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: June 09, 2013, 01:51:44 pm »

I hope this is real. That would be hilarious.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1466 on: June 09, 2013, 01:54:49 pm »

There is Anonymous, the state of being a part of the collective unknown. Then there is the group, which came in three waves.
First wave Anonymous were made up of Oldfriends who built totally unrestricted free speech ideals, where nothing was taboo'd enough to warrant use and abuse. Non extant, but there are groups who seek to revive this wave. Can be summed up in Oprah vs over 9000 penises.
Second wave Anonymous were made up of Anons who did that, but instead of targeting opportunities, they targeted establishments against liberties - most famously of course being battletoads vs Scientology.
Third wave Anonymous is made up of everyone and your Aunt and cares about being a blob of social justice warriors, can can be summed up by people using Guy Fawkes' mask without knowing what is the significance of being a Catholic terrorist trying to blow up a newly founded democracy to install papacy.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: June 09, 2013, 01:58:32 pm »

Yeah, it's everyone and their grandma. That, together with the swift answer from the White House press secretary make me wonder if it's the government passing for Anonymous to ridiculize them. A strawman if you want.

EDIT:Oooops, didn't notice it came from a stupid website. Never mind.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 02:04:39 pm by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1468 on: June 09, 2013, 02:03:40 pm »

Could be. Wouldn't have been the first time a world government organisation has pretended to be Anonymous, but it doesn't really matter much though, given the usually unverifiable nature of such claims. Essentially, just replace 'Anonymous' with 'someone.' It carries that much weight.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: June 09, 2013, 02:10:51 pm »

Yeah, it's everyone and their grandma. That, together with the swift answer from the White House press secretary make me wonder if it's the government passing for Anonymous to ridiculize them. A strawman if you want.

Wait, the White House responded to anything from Anonymous? Do you have a link?

The major leaks look to be from someone from inside the NSA directly to the Guardian (specifically Glenn Greenwald) and WaPo, not hacks by any outside group or even filtered through something like Wikileaks. All the statements and criticism of the leaks I've seen have been consistent with this. Only the low quality of the information leaves any uncertainty about this.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 667