Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Consider this: Gregor and Derick have a duel with same quality weapons (Iron, for example) and in neutral conditions (no terrain, supports and so on). On whom you would bet?

Derick the Swordmaster of Doom
Gregor the Tanky Stab-Sentinel

Pages: 1 ... 871 872 [873] 874 875 ... 1249

Author Topic: Fire Emblem on Forums (FEF), OOC Thread: FEF1 has been Finished!  (Read 852924 times)

CrimsonEon

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that Blood Thine or the Enemy's?
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem on Forums (FEF), OOC Thread.
« Reply #13080 on: September 13, 2013, 07:11:10 pm »

I've been contemplating GMing a FEF for quite some time now. I think I can alleviate the laziness aspect via coding up some apps to help with the more monotonous GM work, what I'm worried about is writing and keeping a coherent world. Though I'm also divided on whether I want to make a straight up regular FEF or do something more gimmicky like a quick fire FEF where people die much more easily. Help me out, which one would you guys join?

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13081 on: September 13, 2013, 07:13:17 pm »

I would join the hell out of a regular FEF.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13082 on: September 13, 2013, 07:17:23 pm »

There's so many FEFs, though :I instead of spending a bunch of time coding a roller/calculator, why not convert another good TacticalRPG's ruleset instead? You've got lots of choices like

Shining Force
Disgaea
Final Fantasy Tactics/Advance
Ogre Battle
Luminous Arc (hue)
Devil Survivor

etc

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #13083 on: September 13, 2013, 07:19:58 pm »

Starcraft, warcraft...

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13084 on: September 13, 2013, 07:21:35 pm »

Those are RTSes, though. I don't think you'd get anything interesting with a near 1:1 conversion to tabletop.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #13085 on: September 13, 2013, 07:25:28 pm »

One could give a shot making their own as well, although that is much harder granted since you'd be needing to think through what you're doing. I've been attempting to cook something up akin to that for a while, but it has been really off and on enough that I don't want to really say much.

CrimsonEon

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that Blood Thine or the Enemy's?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13086 on: September 13, 2013, 08:21:49 pm »

Eh, I wouldn't be too certain with handling a conversion. I'm a coder, not a game designer, and I don't see the novelty in another system. The FEF as it is seems to work alright, though as has been shown it can use tweaks here and there. If I were to use another system, I'd still be compelled to make a few apps to help as I'm not sure I would have the time/patience to do all of it by hand.

Praefectus Screptum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13087 on: September 13, 2013, 08:30:08 pm »

Just checked your Mecha-thingy, shame there isn't dark magic. D:

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13088 on: September 13, 2013, 08:45:25 pm »

What appeals to me about another system is FEF isn't modular. Like, right now we're stuck with a specific set of kind-of-balanced classes, and god help you if you try to expand or rework them. Most any FEF spinoff relies on either very tiny changes or large doses of flavoring. Sometimes both. That's kind of what I tried and failed to do with a past game where there were no true classes, but the main problem there was there wasn't any underlying hard logic behind abilities, and balance was left too much up to the GM's whimsy.

Maybe someday.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13089 on: September 13, 2013, 08:50:49 pm »

Yeah, problem with changing FEF I'm finding is that it is all sorts of interconnected. Change one thing, you gotta change three more to keep the changes cohesive. Learned that first hand.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13090 on: September 13, 2013, 08:56:54 pm »

If whoever wrote the rulebook ever got around to making expansions to include things like laguz characters, or the monsters/manaketes from Sacred Stones, it might be worth starting up another FEF to take advantage of those new features.

Sure, monsters and manaketes are sorta-kinda included already, but they are very incomplete and could use some expanding. Laguz would require entirely new mechanics to deal with transformations and such. I think it'd be fun to play as one of them, if only as a change of pace.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #13091 on: September 13, 2013, 08:59:43 pm »

And theres that 3rd tier class book that does not exist
It's FEF, not FEOF

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13092 on: September 13, 2013, 09:05:55 pm »

Oh my yes. Forget our superhuman characters, third-tier characters would be GODS. And they would fight OTHER GODS. And it would be GLORIOUS.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13093 on: September 13, 2013, 09:15:22 pm »

Actually, I've been giving serious consideration to reviving my FEF. The main problem is, I'm not really good at the mapmaking and troop placement required to guide players into reasonable scenarios for victory. If I had someone who was willing to do the nuts and bolts of map set-up, I could run the turns, do all them rolls, and keep going with my beautiful story (It's so beautiful guys).

Trouble is... Those problems I have seem to be the main hang-ups for most GMs for this, it seems.

I sorta want to go Homestuck RPG on that and make it.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13094 on: September 13, 2013, 09:42:31 pm »

Yeah, it's hard knowing what is too much and what is too little, you want to challenge without unwinnable scenarios. Its a hard thing to judge no doubt, one of those things that one just has to practice and experience to learn I imagine.

Mapmaking seems like something that just takes a lot of time and practice, although using that program Crimson showed seemed like it makes it a touch easier. That would still take time to adjust to though.
Pages: 1 ... 871 872 [873] 874 875 ... 1249