Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 222

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.37.0 | DF 42.06  (Read 974758 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.21.8
« Reply #750 on: July 09, 2014, 05:57:09 am »

I'm currently running a fortress in the new version.
So i've been back at using the actual game "interface" in order to manage my dwarves.

At first , my old memories came back of pre-DT time and it was still do-able, up to when my population were around 20

Now they're 82 and the ingame interface is a real pain, it takes lots of tedious to find the dwarves that have specific skill level, it takes lot of tedious to re-assign job , etc...
I really forgot how much of a pain that interface can be when your population start to increase.

This make you really understand how absolutely brillant , very useful and intuitive Dwarf Therapist is.
So thank you very much to every developers that have contributed into Dwarf Therapist, you have done a fantastic work !

vomov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: July 09, 2014, 06:08:27 am »

I'm in the same situation, and actually had to think twice before I remembered how to set labors in DF...

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: July 09, 2014, 08:16:43 am »

I'm starting to mess with custom professions, and I'm running into some difficulties.
1) How can I delete custom professions?
2) How can I modify existing custom professions?
Basically I'm making errors, and then I have bad custom professions sitting around.
Anyone know the answer to my questions?

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: July 09, 2014, 09:05:59 am »

I'm starting to mess with custom professions, and I'm running into some difficulties.
1) How can I delete custom professions?
2) How can I modify existing custom professions?
Basically I'm making errors, and then I have bad custom professions sitting around.
Anyone know the answer to my questions?
Lower right corner -> custom professions -> right-clicking to edit.

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: July 09, 2014, 10:04:08 am »

It doesn't help that he's been working on this new version of dt at this point.  However, the beta we put up on dffd 95% works... but we were making some improvements on it, and he got stuck on something today.

However, I don't really think that's the hold up.

I think he's waiting for the dfhack community to find all the offsets of the NEW vars, not really sure.

So I guess if anyone wants, populate the #dfhack irc and see if they've found any of the new memory offsets, and reporting here with the results...  but i'm sure there doing their own work anyways.

Blah blah blah.

the one thing I know that will take more time is [the] new vars.  Identifying the # of new var's (aka the ~60 or new trait like vars), their names, and the memory locations; would be a huge first step.

update:

not spam the thread, but here's the list [thanks to putnam]

http://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/2a7cbj/anyone_know_the_name_of_the_new_vars_used_in_the/

*snip*

the beta is up where? is there a link to this? me and a friend of mine are really aching for any kind of job setting that doesn't move through the df interface. I can handle it up to 30 ish dwarves, but he's already givein up on it.
Carch likes steel, tin, pewter, sharks for their sharp teeth, dragons for their possessive nature and magma smelters for their warm glow.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #755 on: July 09, 2014, 10:39:18 am »

It doesn't help that he's been working on this new version of dt at this point.  However, the beta we put up on dffd 95% works... but we were making some improvements on it, and he got stuck on something today.

However, I don't really think that's the hold up.

I think he's waiting for the dfhack community to find all the offsets of the NEW vars, not really sure.

So I guess if anyone wants, populate the #dfhack irc and see if they've found any of the new memory offsets, and reporting here with the results...  but i'm sure there doing their own work anyways.

Blah blah blah.

the one thing I know that will take more time is [the] new vars.  Identifying the # of new var's (aka the ~60 or new trait like vars), their names, and the memory locations; would be a huge first step.

update:

not spam the thread, but here's the list [thanks to putnam]

http://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/2a7cbj/anyone_know_the_name_of_the_new_vars_used_in_the/

*snip*

the beta is up where? is there a link to this? me and a friend of mine are really aching for any kind of job setting that doesn't move through the df interface. I can handle it up to 30 ish dwarves, but he's already givein up on it.

there is not beta for the new 40.01 release. ignore that post, it's for a beta version for 34.11 that hasn't been released yet.

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: July 09, 2014, 10:39:41 am »

ahh.. sorry. didn't realize that.
Carch likes steel, tin, pewter, sharks for their sharp teeth, dragons for their possessive nature and magma smelters for their warm glow.

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: July 09, 2014, 12:26:23 pm »

Did anybody else just say "F* it", mod their dwarves to have natural skill 1 in everything, and enable starting labors on skills?  At least while waiting for DT.

No specializations, but also no labor assignments needed.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: July 09, 2014, 01:13:45 pm »

Even with 80+ dwarves, you only need like 10 for professions. Just use nicknames and custom professions to recognize them.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

carkasjak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: July 09, 2014, 01:39:11 pm »

Did anybody else just say "F* it", mod their dwarves to have natural skill 1 in everything, and enable starting labors on skills?  At least while waiting for DT.

No specializations, but also no labor assignments needed.

Personally I started a fort and managed my dwarves until the first migrant wave, and then said "NOPE!" to managing labors. I'm now waiting for Dwarf Therapist. I've never actually tried to get into adventure mode. I might do that while I wait.

Abalieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: July 09, 2014, 02:39:07 pm »

You could always block migrants by capping the population on the ini file and just let the dwarfs reproduce through normal means :)
 HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: July 09, 2014, 03:20:08 pm »

I crowd sourced the offsets for original DT

http://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/2a8rhh/want_to_help_find_memory_offsets_for_dwarf/

Thx goes to "its the new style"

language_vector = 0x01aaa9d4 (uncorrected:0x024fa9d4)
word_table = 0x0000003c
creature_vector = 0x019adef0 (uncorrected:0x023fdef0)
squad vector = 0x01aa33b4 (uncorrected:0x024f33b

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: July 09, 2014, 04:12:41 pm »

how do we apply that to DT to make it work? >.> lol

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: July 09, 2014, 04:44:30 pm »

never done it myself, nor do I know if it will work properly (I don't know if old DT and new DF are going to break.  Does new DF bring new skills?)

but...

After following these steps, you can then find the offsets using therapist. If it's just a minor update to DF, you can use the Create New Layout functionality from the Scan Memory screen. This will automatically scan all of the vectors and create a new memory offsets ini file for you (if all goes well.) Otherwise you have to check run.log for the new checksum, and start hand editing a new offsets ini file.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: July 09, 2014, 04:52:15 pm »

I've never played DF without therapist before, and my is it a pain, more so than not having a tileset :( I'm waiting!

Yeah no tile set and no DFhack weren't a big deal for me at all but after that first big immigration wave I gave up without therapist. It took me an hour to simply go through each dwarf and write down on paper their pertinent attributes let alone sort through them and pick out candidates for important labors. With therapist I can in a single 30 second glance gather as much information on my dwarves as I can with an hour of going through one by one and recording it with pen and paper.

I think this is the biggest issue I have with DF's default interface. It has this wonderful sea of information and complex inner workings that are completely opaque to the player. I can live with weird key bindings and crazy inconsistent menu systems but the lack of a way to sift through and visually look at the vast amounts of information generated by the game drives me nuts. It's a bit like trying to look at a picture where you can only view it one pixel at a time and have to then write the pixels down on the paper yourself and build the picture up one piece at a time until its complete.

Anyway, sorry I didn't mean to go off on a tangent and rant like an ungrateful bastard. I just wanted to describe why it is that I think Therapist is such a crucial and brilliant tool. I hope that someday when Toady gets around to doing the UI that he takes a good look at therapist to see why it such a successful program.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 222