Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we call the underground forest?

The Undergrove
- 6 (40%)
The Corpselight Grove
- 9 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 36

Author Topic: Ghoullights Chapter III: The Lamentation of Dyes [Succession]  (Read 38485 times)

Sabretache

• Bay Watcher
  • "Knowledge is power, guard it well."
    • View Profile

I may get an update out today at some stage. Also, we aren't supposed to use danger rooms correct? The Governor-Commissar is in no shape to lead his troops anytime soon and will need a lot of training, if danger rooms were allowed they would be used for him only to make the story make more sense. (What self-respecting commissar isn't a legendary hero of the imperium?)

Either way, expect stuff about housing, training and total confusion.
(I think I understand the ground level entrance but how do the two winding passages below it work? I can see traps and I think drawbridges). I will post pictures of these passages in the update.

P.s. The phantom spider thing was artistic license, I may try make it real however.
Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

While you have a point, do you think you could use a zombie room instead?

It's a simple enough device. First, make yourself some steel or adamantine armor. You are the military commander after all, you deserve it. Then butcher things, or build a fishing station for fishing mussels and things out of the river. Butchering will result in hair and skin that reanimates, while mussels will (hilariously) come back as mussels and pearls revenant that are easy to kill but that are actually very, very fast both on the ground and in combat. They're ridiculously annoying if you let them loose in the fortress, by the way.

Anyway, kill the hair and skin and mussels again, build a chamber, make it an active refuse pile or garbage dump, and station yourself there. Preferably use multiple pairs of tightly closed doors to keep stuff inside. What happens is they will reanimate, reanimate, reanimate... and give you a kill list numbering in the hundreds, as well as lots of combat skills fast.

This way undeath becomes a resource to be exploited. 8) It also means you are a legendary slayer of zombies, not just a guy who dodged a lot of spears in a room.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...also, the winding corridors are supposed to be filled with traps, baited with a dwarf or animal, then opened to the outside (and closed to the fort) to catch zombies.

Sabretache

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok thanks for explaining the trapped entrance to me. The zombie room sounds like a marvellous idea and when I have time, I will get right on to it. How much adamantine (referred to as adamantium in the story) does it take to build a full set of (power) armour? Such a thing will help preserve my commissar's limbs. Also, I shall be building luxury accommodation for past rulers of the fort as a diplomatic gift.
Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Be sure to use enough zombies to make it go fast! Not sure about the addy, actually. I almost always prefer steel. But with 78 rocks of it thanks to Chaosgear's mining operation, we're sure to have enough for at least one good set of armor.

Oh, if you're making accommodations, I have a request! A simple hut somewhere deep in the underground forest, if you please. With a one-tile stockpile for artifact-quality finished goods that takes from the other finished goods stockpiles, so I can have my precious left mitten there. It's currently in Finished Goods Stockpile #7. If we ever get fine pewter or petrified wood, I'd like a statue made of it there, but no hurry.

Destra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yay lots of stone! If you don't get around to trapping that corridor I will, and I don't think I'm going to be doing anything that bad, I'm pretty tame when it comes to doing ceazy things :p just a lot of defense improvements will be my plan I thinks, and some just in case of zombie breakout cage traps :p

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One more thing came to mind. I took a look at the save and there isn't currently any good armorsmith. Looked through the dwarves and if you want good quality adamantium gear fast, Edzul Zuntiresesh the fishery worker has good creativity and a like for adamantine, and with a little training could probably make some good armor. I've seen dwarves with that combination make exceptional quality with no skill. Edit: did a testing run with him, having him forge iron armor while adamantine was made at the craftsdwarfs' and smelter, then work adamantine, and the first piece of addy armor he forged was *superior quality* despite being a dabbling armorsmith.

Of course, maybe you want to craft it yourself which would be kind of manly, or something else. Your choice.

Yay lots of stone! If you don't get around to trapping that corridor I will, and I don't think I'm going to be doing anything that bad, I'm pretty tame when it comes to doing ceazy things :p just a lot of defense improvements will be my plan I thinks, and some just in case of zombie breakout cage traps :p

Defense improvements are never a bad thing, especially in a land crawling with the undead. Looking forward to your projects!

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ahoy! Just finished reading, and would like a dorf. And a tentative go at the administration, even though I haven't properly played in some time.

I do love sliver barbs... is there a dwarf who particuarly likes it? If so, I'd like them. Otherwise, the previously mentioned dyer who I believe is still unclaimed. Either way, I want to work with clothing! And dying! And maybe architecture! And fashion and style!

EDIT: If yes, please do name him "Cog" or "Cog'd"

There are zombies and dirt everywhere. This is NOT BEFITTING OUR KIND. I shall oversee it so that fellow dwarves, especially our Brave Militia, have the finest silks available to them to wear. Nothing but silver-black silk is acceptable, though. Gaunt has the right idea with style...
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ahoy! Just finished reading, and would like a dorf. And a tentative go at the administration, even though I haven't properly played in some time.

I do love sliver barbs... is there a dwarf who particuarly likes it? If so, I'd like them. Otherwise, the previously mentioned dyer who I believe is still unclaimed. Either way, I want to work with clothing! And dying! And maybe architecture! And fashion and style!

EDIT: If yes, please do name him "Cog" or "Cog'd"

There are zombies and dirt everywhere. This is NOT BEFITTING OUR KIND. I shall oversee it so that fellow dwarves, especially our Brave Militia, have the finest silks available to them to wear. Nothing but silver-black silk is acceptable, though. Gaunt has the right idea with style...

Wonderful, wonderful. I've added you to the turn list. We did have a farmer that likes sliver barbs, one Datan Zonomrek (Helmslength).

I had him working as a planter/herbalist, based on the theory that his like of the barbs would influence growing and gathering skill rolls. Would you like for him to become a dyer, if he's still around?

Sabretache

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello all! I will Try to build a hut for you but the zombies are still an issue on the surface so you can get some nice underground quarters for now. I like the idea of forging my own amour for me to wear. I will be dwarfing people as well. Current projects are:

- Revamping the accommodation and dining areas
- organize jobs (mostly done already)
- Create a skilled military to deal with the zombie incursion as well as create munitions for said military
- Build some structures so as to be remembered till the end of time
- Not die in the process

I think that I have my work cut out for me.
Expect an update soon if the Emperor wills it.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello all! I will Try to build a hut for you but the zombies are still an issue on the surface so you can get some nice underground quarters for now.

No, hold on, I meant a hut somewhere down in the tree farm ("underground forest"). Absolutely not on the surface with the zombies. Thanks.  :D

Other than that, sounds good!

Sabretache

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My bad... It seemed like a suicidal idea even by a Commissar's standards.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile

Hello all! I will Try to build a hut for you but the zombies are still an issue on the surface so you can get some nice underground quarters for now.

No, hold on, I meant a hut somewhere down in the tree farm ("underground forest"). Absolutely not on the surface with the zombies. Thanks.  :D

Remember; location, location, location. That blasted artificial lake has caused two deaths.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Remember; location, location, location. That blasted artificial lake has caused two deaths.

I like the lake though. It was a good idea.

Anybody just reading, here's what we're talking about, lake Chaosgear:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Uh, also, looking around the lake, I just noticed we apparently have a saltwater crocodile that's just "gigantic overall" in physique. It's making me a little nervous. Congrats on finding us one I guess.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 36