Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84

Author Topic: Witches' Coven: In the Heart of Darkness [GAME OVER: 4/13]  (Read 194613 times)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: Witches' Coven: In the Heart of Darkness [GAME OVER: 4/13]
« Reply #1230 on: October 20, 2013, 04:53:51 am »

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: October 20, 2013, 04:55:18 am »

Her name is a pun on Gillette razors (literally Gillette Soft in French). Originally meant to be a barber whose PM would have a million puns about Gillette products, but never happened.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 04:57:53 am by lordnincompoop »

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: October 20, 2013, 04:59:49 am »

Spoiler: Marie Bouvet, widow (click to show/hide)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: October 20, 2013, 05:01:49 am »

Spoiler: Pierre Guiot, mercer (click to show/hide)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: October 20, 2013, 05:05:47 am »

JdC's role PM is in Toony's post, so no need to do that again. He was vanilla town.

Background text (may not be up to date):

Spoiler: Colin Fleury (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Marie Bouvet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Martin Brouillart (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mathieu Gendre (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Regnault Coullart (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Jacques de Crussol (click to show/hide)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: October 20, 2013, 05:11:03 am »

How to Dariush: be active every day, pursue leads I actually suspect (okay, maybe not NQT), get lynched over a minor technicality in the inspection flavour that isn't even indicative of being a witch.
You did say 'shaman'. Knowing that beforehand (and getting pressure voted :P on it) led to you cracking, somehow.

No comment on everything else.
And getting inquisitor role is a free confirmed town pass again. Hooray fairness. It is really about time there were some anti-town investigators. :-/
> Claim cop
> Live
>_>

Honestly, as soon as the Inquisitor claimed, I expected one of the two anti-town killers to kill him. It would have made sense and benefited them.

As for the DS being OP: Remember that the Life Shaman's role is essentially to stop the Death Shaman from winning - by keeping him alive. To that effect, I don't think killing the Death Shaman three times for a resurrect is necessary. Once the Death Shaman uses the one-shot kill, there is no way for him to kill the Life Shaman other than by somehow getting the Dark Child's help. Once the DS dies, he has to wait a night doing nothing and using his suicide power, which is immediately noticed the next day. Once the Life Shaman gets the hint, all she would need to do is resurrect him whenever he dies and stick around while he's alive using Ward. So, if the Life Shaman knew who he was, and was clearly preventing the DS from dying and killing anybody, and the DS was still alive by game-end - that's a fulfilled wincon. The hardest part is figuring out the DS and surviving the one-shot if that hits the LS.

The DS could also kill twice for every three nights he was dead. Not that many times, I think.
...I'm a bad player.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: October 20, 2013, 05:35:48 am »

How to Dariush: be active every day, pursue leads I actually suspect (okay, maybe not NQT), get lynched over a minor technicality in the inspection flavour that isn't even indicative of being a witch.
You did say 'shaman'. Knowing that beforehand (and getting pressure voted :P on it) led to you cracking, somehow.
I did that intentionally, knowing that with a possibility of 90% the shaman will be the first to jump onto the opportunity to question me about my knowledge without it looking suspicious. What led to me cracking was everyone just ignoring everything I said, planting a vote on me and going home.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: October 20, 2013, 05:46:53 am »

Spoiler: Night Action Log (click to show/hide)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: October 20, 2013, 05:52:58 am »

Once the Death Shaman uses the one-shot kill, there is no way for him to kill the Life Shaman other than by somehow getting the Dark Child's help.
Wait-wait-wait, what? What about using Grasp the following night (since it will happen before LS's resurrection, and that is even assuming LS correctly decides to resurrect the flipless corpse)? Or resurrecting and lynching him? Shouldn't be too hard faking some believable story about why LS should die.

All the Life Shaman's actions are Day actions, so night action order doesn't matter. Tiruin didn't understand her role, I think.

To give you an example:

D1: Bluh
N1: Death Shaman uses suicide kill on townie. Dies flipless.
D2: LS takes the hint and resurrects DS.
N2: DS spots who the LS is and suicides. Can't suicidekill because that was a one-shot.
D3: LS resurrects DS anyway.

If the DS decides to resurrect and lead a lynch, all the better for him. It might work - but then again, it might not, and just end up exposing him.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: October 20, 2013, 06:05:17 am »

All the Life Shaman's actions are Day actions, so night action order doesn't matter.
Oh. I thought they were night actions. Sorry.
To give you an example:

D1: Bluh
N1: Death Shaman uses suicide kill on townie. Dies flipless.
D2: LS takes the hint and resurrects DS.
N2: DS spots who the LS is and suicides. Can't suicidekill because that was a one-shot.
D3: LS resurrects DS anyway.

If the DS decides to resurrect and lead a lynch, all the better for him. It might work - but then again, it might not, and just end up exposing him.
This example assumes several things:
1) DS makes a mistake and Drags a townie;
2) LS is smart enough to realize that a flipless death = DS's suicide (which may not even be the case, had there been other flipless deaths);
3) DS fails to lynch LS. Also, after D3 LS will have to resurrect DS and watch him suicide two more times. That's plenty of time for town to either get annoyed at him for not ressing DC's targets or to stop believing that those resurrects even serve a purpose and it's not an infinite loop. Or for DC to take the obvious hint and kill LS, for that matter, which he really should do to prevent resurrections from hindering his wincon. If all those conditions are met, then LS wins.

Now let's see when DS will win:
1) Dragging the LS. Instawin. Note that this requires the correct identification of his target: for LS, doing so is a _necessary_ _first_ step of many. For DS, this is an _optional_ step that leads to instant win.
2) Lynching the LS or even letting him get lynched by others. Instawin - if he resses, he either gets Dragged or DS jesters, gets lynched and Grasps the LS.
3) Even though he doesn't know this, letting LS waste three resurrections. The only thing that may cause him to lose at that point is a combined effort by the witches and the LS, which won't happen because the witches want the LS dead.

I think you see the pattern: LS can only win by relying on himself to correctly identify his target and persist in doing the same thing every day that doesn't seem to pay off while not dying and not revealing himself. DS can just do whatever and win.

Also, did you really think that 'everyone wins' ending was possible? It sounded both stupid and impossible, and I didn't even hear it from a claimed enemy of my team, unlike townies.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 06:16:09 am by Dariush »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: October 20, 2013, 06:46:17 am »

And getting inquisitor role is a free confirmed town pass again. Hooray fairness. It is really about time there were some anti-town investigators. :-/
NQT wasn't actually town.  If he actually had to quadruple kill the DS it seems like a horrifically difficult role to win.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: October 20, 2013, 06:50:08 am »

Dariush- your downfall was being reasonable with everyone but completely ignoring the person that you purported to have a case against. That's lousy playing whatever your alignment. You let your anger cloud your judgement.

LNCP- so I guess I lost? With ZU being able to remain dead for so long and needing to be killed four times how was I even supposed to win?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: October 20, 2013, 06:52:09 am »

Also, did you really think that 'everyone wins' ending was possible? It sounded both stupid and impossible, and I didn't even hear it from a claimed enemy of my team, unlike townies.
I'm also a little curious as well how that was supposed to work. I mean, I'm clearly the only person here who would be willing to work with something like that without crazy extenuating circumstances.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: October 20, 2013, 06:52:52 am »

Also Dariush claimed that he was scum to a townie and gave him a bunch of info that could only help the town.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: October 20, 2013, 08:17:41 am »

I'm also a little curious as well how that was supposed to work. I mean, I'm clearly the only person here who would be willing to work with something like that without crazy extenuating circumstances.
I'm with you on the omni-win..well, I was with you at the time until game end. :P
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84