Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 332

Author Topic: Adventuring Party OOC Thread - Adventures in Hiatus  (Read 253023 times)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Adventuring Party OOC Thread - Adventures in Hiatus
« on: May 21, 2013, 12:02:24 am »

IC

You are a newly appointed journeyman of the Adventurer's Guild.

The Adventurer's Guild is an international organization that trains those who can pay the yearly entrance fee to go forth and perform the kind of work that normal folk just don't care to do. In a sense, you're a bounty hunter: sometimes, it's treasure hunting, other times, you're hunting down bandits, and occasionally taking part in whatever regional conflicts the local lords put you into.

While a Guild membership is not a license to slaughter and plunder ruthlessly without distinction, most governments have an arrangement by which a guild-appointed adventurer is immune to law if said crimes are justifiably committed in the process of honoring a sanctioned Guild contract. The organization does not have this legal privilege around the world, and in many areas is not recognized.

All races and professions are accepted - whatever life you were fleeing from, it doesn't exist anymore. You're a journeyman now.

Name:
Race: (Humankind, Elfkind, Feykind, Elementalkind, Demonborn, Angelborn, Kinkind, Undead, or Halfbredkind)
Height:
Weight:
Appearance:
Strength X, Stamina X, Agility X, Speed X, Endurance X, Willpower X, Intelligence X, Perception X
HP: (Endurance + Level)
Level: (You start with Adventurer 1, and pick two more. Yes, you start as a Level 3. Class can be pretty much anything - Fighter, Accountant, Priest, Clerk, Farmer, Sorcerer, Thief, whatever. The two exceptions are "No, you can't be a Wizard" and "No, you can't be something stupid like "Horse Puncher", "Orgasm-mage", or "Boy-Skylark" or whatever.)
Virtues: At least 5, no more than 7.
(Critical - 3pts)
(Major- 2 pt)
(Minor - 1 pt)
Flaws: At least 5, no more than 7.
(Critical - 3pts)
(Major- 2 pt)
(Minor - 1 pt)
Hobbies: No more than 3 points.
Feats: 1 per every 2 levels. You start with 2 as a Level 3 character.

Rules Masterpost

Spoiler: Calculating HP and MP (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Combat Resolution (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Damage Types (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Weapons (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Armor (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Item Decay and Quality (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Supernatural Powers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Offensive Powers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Experience Points (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Fighting the Gods (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Guild (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Currency (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Levels (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: On Magic (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: On Combat (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spirits and Souls (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 05:54:05 pm by Ross Vernal »

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An Adventurer Is You: A Fantasy Suggestion Game
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 01:55:59 am »

You use the Kingdom of Loathing tag-line, but a player can't be something like a Horse Puncher?  Dang.  Seal Clubbers have been getting dumped on ever since Eye of the Stoat quit making Thrust-Smack and Lunging Thrust-Smack autoconnect.  :(
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Be An Adventurer: A Fantasy Suggestion Game
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 01:01:13 pm »

THAT'S where it's from? Well, title edited, then. I know basically nothing about that game and my total experience involves making a few million meat selling clovers.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Masterpost Part 2

Spoiler: Minor Gods (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The War of the Gods (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Languages (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Enchanting (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mirrai Country Stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Magic Materials (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: On Angels and Demons (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Death (click to show/hide)

If it looks like I missed anything from here, let me know. Sorry, not granting you XP for doing this; I have told you all of this information already and it is your responsibility to understand the rules as stated.

If you want to steal this for your game, let me know and I will (probably) tell you it's okay to do so. You can let me know after you set it up, provided you actually let me know at some point within a few days of setting up.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 03:23:04 pm by Ross Vernal »

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 04:23:23 pm »

I'm not entire sure what we're talking about (I'm pretty sure at least 70% of weenog's post isn't English), but is "Horse Puncher" a Rooster Teeth reference? If so, I approve.

Also, what is "Kinkind?"
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 04:39:03 pm »

Dog/cat/bird/lizard people.

I actually have a giant list of every single race and its details, but I figured I would leave it out and assign it after Class/Level and Virtue/Flaws

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 05:02:41 pm »

How many stat points can we assign?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 05:11:20 pm »

I'm not entire sure what we're talking about (I'm pretty sure at least 70% of weenog's post isn't English)

Kingdom of Loathing.  "Seal Clubber" is the name of one of the classes in the game, it's the more aggressive of the two muscle classes (as opposed to Turtle Tamer, the defensive muscle class); the class name changes depending on level however, and Horse Puncher would fit right in there, other than not being arctic in nature.
Seal Clubbers have suffered some major nerfs over the years. Thrust-Smack (special attack skill, melee weapons only, deals double damage) and Lunging Thrust-Smack (as Thrust-Smack except triple damage) no longer figure in bonus damage like they used to, they only multiply base weapon damage now.  Eye of the Stoat (passive skill) used to guarantee a hit with TS or LTS, but now it just improves hit and critical hit chances, and reduces fumbling.

OP's use of An Adventurer Is You -- Kingdom of Loathing's tag-line -- got me thinking he might be hoping to attract experienced KoL players.  I guess I was mistaken.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 05:40:48 pm »

How many stat points can we assign?

Whatever you think is fair. If you care to assign one stat over 20, I would ask that you have one stat under 10 to compensate, and provide a warning that more powerful characters will have more powerful opponents. Aside from that, knock yourself out.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 02:24:50 am »

ROSS VERNAL GAME
I AM DEFINIETELY PARTICIPATING IN THIS ADVENTURE
Just one question: Why no wizards, when we're allowed Sorcery? Magic is magic, no? Or are we using D&D classes or something?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 02:54:10 am »

Oooh, that's a good question! And also, thanks for the vote of confidence.

First off, wizards are not just arcane spellcasters who rely upon rituals to exert control over reality. That discipline is known as Ritual Magic, and is only one way of using magic.

In this universe, everything has a spirit - the rocks under your feet, the hairs on your head, the bacteria in your stomach, creatures without a soul, etc, etc. Everything. The spirits radiate "mana", or "mystical internal life-force" (MILF for short. Yes, I know what MILF means. :P) The amount of MILF a spirit releases is based on the life, motion, age, and various other factors of the object/person in question - a thundering waterfall is a source of these energies.  These metaphysical energies are used to affect reality in either of three different ways (plus God Power, which is exactly what it sounds like and totally irrelevant to this discussion.) There's magic, which is a combination of willpower and belief. There's mental abilities, which come from the mind. And then there's auric powers, which come from the body. It is commonly accepted that the subdivisions within each of these powers can be combined.

However, actually directly mixing these together into a single multidisciplinary reality alteration (such as Pyrokinesis + Elemental Fire Magic) is believed to be impossible, pushes your minds to the brink of insanity, and can strain your body to death. If this weren't enough, there is a thing known as a "Soulbreak", which essentially is a combination of "dangerous forbidden technique", "explosive overclocking", and "limit break" that tends to occur in awe-inspiring ways whenever people try to pull it off (and promptly die for their efforts).  So basically, it's impossible and suicidal to do it.

Wizards are folk who specialize in combining disciplines. This option is (generally) only taken by people who have mastered an aspect of a certain discipline, possess abilities of a related nature in all of the disciplines used, and have a thorough understanding of the principles behind each. There are very few Wizards, since most of them tend to die horrifically from their own bungling (read: the people who did not bother to study the rules of the universe), and the rest... well, you don't meddle in their affairs, because they are subtle and quick to anger (read: if you piss them off you are usually subject to being deader than disco if you are lucky or forced into a fate worse than death if you are not.)

Obviously, this power level is so hilariously beyond a Level 3 character that there's no way I'd allow it. It would be an entirely different game called "You Are A Wizard: Reality Is Your Bitch" and you would be a wizard-lord who went around doing wizard-lord things like having apprentices, waging wars, being a cryptically unhelpful dickhole who turns out to be right and helpful in the end, and other such activities. (Which I will totally run if people want that instead, by the way.)

I'm just trying to not drown y'all in details. Some elements can be introduced slowly. :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 03:39:45 am by Ross Vernal »

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 09:14:13 am »

Does this sheet work, or did I futz anything up?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 05:30:42 pm by Chink »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 10:30:49 am »

I like these details.
Watch this space.

Name: Myrln
Race: Halfbredkind (Fey, Human)
Height: 6'0
Weight: 170 lbs
Appearance: A tall lad with very dark hair. He has black eyes, prominent, defined features, and pale skin that almost seems to glow some nights.
Str: 5
Sta: 7
Agi: 13
Spd: 15
End: 6
Wil: 23
Int: 21
Per: 15
HP: 30
MP: 55
Level: Foreseer (prophecy, future sight, etc) 1, Elemental Mage 2, Winter Mage 1, Sidhe Paragon 1, Harlequin of Pantxike 1

Virtues:
Critical: Naturally Skilled (Thanks to his Fey father, Myrln is naturally skilled in the magical arts, having an easier time of it than other practitioners and tends to fail less when casting a spell. This comes naturally from being a son of one of the High Lords of the Sidhe. (Or whatever the equivalent is in this game.)
Major: Intelligent (Myrln grew up in an environment that encouraged the growth of his burgeoning intellect. He is possessed of a great intellect and can generally adapt and learn about whatever it is he puts his mind to rather easily.)
Major: Seelie (Myrln's father was a Seelie fae, letting him get in touch with life-forms of all kinds, and thus he always tends to know where people are. With a bit of effort, he can re-energize or even heal people.)
Critical: Winterfae (Myrln Chose to become a Fae of Winter after his head got smashed in. He's not immortal, apparently really sexy, and has more details below in General Info.)

Flaws:
Major: Frail (Myrln's upbringing involved a lot of reading and not much moving. He's not very good in a fight, and his stamina's only average.)
Major: Arrogant (Call him a progidy, a master mage, a 'gifted person', but it doesn't stop Myrln from being the most cocky, arrogant, preeny, and downright prideful bastard you'll ever meet - ever.)
Minor: Disorganized (Like a lot of mages, Myrln is almost incapable of keeping an organized anything.)
Critical - Brain Injury (Myrln got his skull pulped by a big rock moving at high speed. He's developed amnesia from this.)

Hobbies: Playing Pranks (Perhaps due to his fey half, Myrln has a mind for mischef and the skills to pull them off. This doesn't tend to endear him to his companions.)
Carving Totems (Myrln enjoys carving faces, animals, and various shapes out of wood.)

Feats:
I Have a Bad Feeling About This: Myrln has powers of foresight, and thus often gets a vague sense of unease whenever he's about to be in danger in the immediate future.
Illusionary: Myrln can create illusions of moderate scope, incuding making himself invisible for a short time and making medium sized things seem like what they are not, ie a dog to several, a boulder to a bear, etc.
Glamor: Myrln's gotten much better at making illusions. He can make ones that affect the senses, illusions one can smell, that have shadows. He can make a coin look like a handful of gold.
-
-
Gods:
Arnum the Scholar: Magic, Knowledge, Enlightenment
Eyilana the Seer: Divination, Books
Pantxike the Prankster: Humor, Illusion, Trickery

Divine Spells: Instant Karma, Hilarity Ensues

General Info:
Fae Information: You're subject to fey laws, for one. Cold no longer bothers you. You have an innate sense of superiority and are certain you have some sort of dancing talent. You are subject to Sidhe weakness and strengths. Barring death from others, immortality. You happen to be an incredible lay and belive in absolute sexual freedom. Stronger in Winter, boosted in Spring, weakened in Summer, and neutral in Fall.

Also, you don't wield magic. You ARE magic. If you do something by natural effort, it's because you like it. You could probably play a mean guitar with magic, or actually learn how to play. Your take 10 is a Take 15. So on.

Have fun not telling lies and remaining fundamentally dishonest.

You don't need a staff to have cheap ice/cold spells. It's inherently 50 percent cheaper and stronger. With the flame staff, it makes Fire only 1.5x as expensive instead of 2x.

Winterfire, simply put, isn't really fire, it's just focused heat stolen from the environment. Doesn't burn you, it freezes you.

Fae Rules:
Cannot tell a lie, don't like iron, salt disrupts your magic temporarily, your word is your bond, and that's about it. Obviously, you'd have some inherent notion of debt and obligation. Choosing a side makes the opposing side dislike you more, and you get weaker against that group. Winter ice versus Summer Fire, etc.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 01:44:55 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 12:59:48 pm »

Dog/cat/bird/lizard people.

I actually have a giant list of every single race and its details, but I figured I would leave it out and assign it after Class/Level and Virtue/Flaws
Can we be a Peach-faced lovebird man?
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 02:18:21 pm »

Does this sheet work, or did I futz anything up?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It would be nice to know which races he is half and half of, but that's the only issue. :)

EDIT: I am not saying you HAVE to make the flaw/virtues of major and critical longer, but it is nice to have details to invent backstory and/or relevant NPC's. I can certainly do so with what is there, but the more, the better. As it stands, it is 100% acceptable, and no further elaboration is needed.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 02:20:12 pm by Ross Vernal »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 02:24:02 pm »

I'll be gradually completing/expanding upon mine.
Sig! Onol
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 332