Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 161

Author Topic: Marooned in Morrowind (FINISHED)  (Read 407460 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game Ep.44
« Reply #1335 on: January 02, 2014, 02:18:28 pm »

Get the fuck away from the mages guild before she decides to take a trip to another town and just SO HAPPENS to pick Sadrith Mora.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: January 02, 2014, 03:20:49 pm »

Get the fuck away from the mages guild before she decides to take a trip to another town and just SO HAPPENS to pick Sadrith Mora.
+1, but buy a potion of waterwalking or levitation first. Whichever lasts longer.

Also, ask if anyone's heard about a guard massacre in Balmora.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: January 02, 2014, 05:19:52 pm »

Well that was fortunate, and now we know we can kind of send Michael pictures, but not links or quotes. I'm not sure if it'd be precise enough to flash him maps or not, but it's something to try if we ever feel the need.

Also it's a shame those guard corpses apparently disappeared; if we could get away with looting them that'd be more cash. I wonder if the adventurer looted and disposed of them or they were dealt with through normal channels.

+1, but buy a potion of waterwalking or levitation first. Whichever lasts longer.

Also, ask if anyone's heard about a guard massacre in Balmora.

Maybe we should plan this out a bit more thoroughly. I know time is of the essence, but grabbing one of two potions and then fleeing "away from the mages guild" does not sound like the beginning of a successful journey.

Let's see... looking at a map, we're not far, though finding it may indeed be an issue. Looks like one little island-bump separating us from Tel Fyr to the southwest, so in theory it's just a swim followed by a run followed by a swim followed by a run followed by slamming the door shut behind us and breathing a sigh of relief. This is all from a crude map, and so could be wrong.

I forget if we need levitation to reach Fyr himself, though. A quick check confirms that we do. There's supposed to be potions on hand, but I wouldn't count on that.

So we need a way to get there alive, and then a way to get up there. My vote would be for invisibility for fleeing cliff racers, not sure about how necessary water walking is, and then presumably levitation for making sure we can actually talk to Fyr.

All that said, we need some price checks. A 400 gold invisibility potion might just not be worth it compared to other options.

Let's find an alchemist and scroll dealer, if any, and ask about levitation, invisibility, speed boosting, acrobatics boosting, damage dealing, and water walking potions/scrolls.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: January 02, 2014, 05:39:32 pm »

Michael, how far can you see? Does the game's Fog of War restrict your vision or can you see to the horizon?

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: January 02, 2014, 07:28:50 pm »

I dont have any useful suggestions except to say that I'm really glad this has come back online and at such a pace, and especially for the private msg letting me know it was updated. Happy new year!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: January 02, 2014, 07:53:15 pm »

I support IronyOwl's plan.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: January 03, 2014, 02:50:42 am »

We don't need to deal damage. We just need to get there quickly, stay above the surface of the water, and be able to fly up to Fyr.

Hopefully we get a pause once we reach there. We need to collect our thoughts before speaking to Fyr.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: January 03, 2014, 04:36:46 am »

We don't need to deal damage. We just need to get there quickly, stay above the surface of the water, and be able to fly up to Fyr.

Hopefully we get a pause once we reach there. We need to collect our thoughts before speaking to Fyr.
This isn't necessarily true, though.

The only thing we know for certain is that we need to get there alive. Quickly would be ideal, but we don't know for a fact that it's necessary or will help; we might be showing up way before or after Clover anyway. Staying above the surface might help with either of those two conditions, but it's not innately valuable or necessary.

And we need to do all this on limited resources. There's no point running or hiding from cliff racers if it turns out to be more gold-efficient to just roast them alive or if the local alchemist doesn't even have what we're looking for. We need to evaluate our options, not just grab whatever we think might be on hand for whatever price it happens to be on hand for and then burst out the door.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: January 03, 2014, 04:49:00 am »

In my experience, the area has few cliff racers but many many slaughterfish. There are some cliff racers, though.

Offensive scrolls tend to be expensive. Using one to kill a cliff racer only to be accosted by another is not a good use of money. Tel Fyr isn't that far off if you can walk on water, but if you've got to swim, it's a nightmare. Therefore, waterwalking and levitate are absolutely essential. We can get something else as long as it doesnt put our total over 200, since we don't want a net loss if we can avoid it.

In the event we run into a cliff racer, running the fuck away will suffice. Tel Fyr is West-Southwest of Wolverine Hall. The question about Michael's FOV is important, as if he's not limited to the fog of war, he shouldn't have much trouble spotting it once he heads out a little bit.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: January 03, 2014, 05:14:59 am »

In my experience, the area has few cliff racers but many many slaughterfish. There are some cliff racers, though.
Good to know, but remember that we're not sure what mods or other factors, if any, might be affecting this particular game. I would also assume there's a certain element of chance involved.

Offensive scrolls tend to be expensive. Using one to kill a cliff racer only to be accosted by another is not a good use of money. Tel Fyr isn't that far off if you can walk on water, but if you've got to swim, it's a nightmare. Therefore, waterwalking and levitate are absolutely essential. We can get something else as long as it doesnt put our total over 200, since we don't want a net loss if we can avoid it.
Again, mods might be a factor here in terms of how much things cost, but more importantly we don't know for certain what will be available at all. If nobody has anything of water walking or we can get swift swimming for a third the cost, it might be necessary or beneficial to go with something else.

In the event we run into a cliff racer, running the fuck away will suffice. Tel Fyr is West-Southwest of Wolverine Hall. The question about Michael's FOV is important, as if he's not limited to the fog of war, he shouldn't have much trouble spotting it once he heads out a little bit.
It might, but remember the last time we encountered a cliff racer it was fast enough to peck at us as we ran. Granted, we let it catch us first, but we still managed to burn through most of a standard health potion getting from Balmora to Moonmoth.

EDIT: I tried looking up vanilla vendors to see what'd be available by default. Didn't get a very clear picture, but what I saw wasn't very reassuring; one of the Sadrith Mora proper vendors had a levitation potion, but otherwise I didn't see anything we wanted/needed.

Hopefully I just didn't find the right person and/or the content will vary in our favor. Otherwise we might be stuck portal-hopping around looking for the stuff we need.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 05:34:02 am by IronyOwl »

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: January 03, 2014, 11:51:12 am »

Since it's on an island and we're near a port, maybe ask if we can get a boat ride there.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: January 03, 2014, 12:00:48 pm »

Since it's on an island and we're near a port, maybe ask if we can get a boat ride there.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: January 03, 2014, 07:38:06 pm »

Episode 45: Wolverine Hall shopping and downtown scenic Sadrith Mora

ask if anyone's heard about a guard massacre in Balmora.

Still a bit anxious over your recent escape from possible instant death, you ask out loud, maybe a bit more loudly than you'd planned:

: "So...anyone hear about that guard massacre in Balmora?"

Everyone in the room stops what they're doing to looks at you, at each other, then collectively shrug. After a few moments the Guild Guide speaks and the others go back to their business.

: "Yes, Masalinie stopped in about 20 minutes ago with the news. Rumor has it it was one of ours in House Telvanni, but she didn't give a name."

: "One of ours?"

: "Mage Guild."

: "Is that kind of thing...common?"

: "No, it's highly frowned on, but joining a Great House isn't against our charter, and if you're going to be a wizard, much as I hate to say it, the Telvanni have a lot more going for them than House Hlaalu or Redoran."

You notice a few of the other guild members scowl when she says this.

: "No, I mean are guard massacres common?"

: "Oh, that. No, but when it does it usually happens in Balmora. For some reason that town really seems to attract the dregs among outlanders. No offense."

Hmm. Well, in any case you're glad to be out of there.

Let's find an alchemist and scroll dealer, if any, and ask about levitation, invisibility, speed boosting, acrobatics boosting, damage dealing, and water walking potions/scrolls.
I support IronyOwl's plan.

Sadrith Mora is probably home to the largest group of alchemists and magic dealers in all of Vvardenfell. You suspect you can probably get any of those things if you look around enough. But since you're in a Mages guildhall already, you check their stock first.

* 3 standard potions of water breathing, 38 gold
 * 2 standard potions of water walking, 38 gold
 * 1 standard invisibility potion, 38 gold
 * 1 Quality potion of swift swim, 87 gold
 * 1 scroll of Daynar's Airy Bubble, water breathing for 4 minutes, 121 gold
 * 2 scrolls of Reynos fins, SWift swim plus water breathing for 3 minutes, 156 gold
 * 2 scrolls of Breva's Averted eyes, invisibility for 1 minute, 121 gold

Pretty much everything you could ask for in terms of navigating water, but not much in terms of damage dealing and nothing for levitation. The enchanting vendor does have some summon skeletal minion scrolls, but you're pretty sure skeletons don't swim very well.

You smell the water breathing and water walking potions. They'll last about 15 seconds. Not much. The quality swift swim, 45 seconds. Looks like the scrolls are the most efficient choice, lasting 3-4 minutes. But using them would mean swimming through the slaughterfish rather than walking above them. That might not be bad, since it would mean avoiding cliff racers. But being in the water rather than above it won't make navigating any easier.

There are several Telvanni vendors in town you could check too, but as a Mage Guild member who isn't in House Telvanni, their prices are likely to be higher. Also, you remember Nalcarya mentioning that she'd be happy to fill custom orders, so even if the local vendors don't have exctly what you want on hand it might be possible to have it made. Though that would probably mean paying more.

Actually, now that you think about it...

: "Hey, which of you is an enchanter?"

: "I am. Dabienne Mornardl, at your service."

: "I'm only a dabbling enchanter. I know how to use soul gems to charge items, but I've never done any actual enchanting because I don't know any spells. But...you do, right? If I pay you, can you enchant stuff for me?"

: "Certainly. May I see your soul gem?"

You pull out the pair of soul gems from your bag and hand them to her.

: "These are both empty. I'll need a soul to power the enchantment. I have a number of low to mid range souls on hand. Also, if you want something special, arrangements can be made."

: "What sort of arrangements?"

: "We summon a daedra and trap its soul. But you'll pay premium for that."

: "How much?"

: "Standard Mage Guild rates for summon/soultrap service are 100 gold for a clannfear, 150 for any atronach, 250 for a Hunger, Winged Twilight's are 300, and 400 for a Golden Saint. Plus soulgem costs if you don't provide a gem."

That's surprisingly cheap. More than you really want to pay, but you'd have guessed it would be way more than that.

: "Who does this? You?"

: "I'm certified up to Winged Twilight. If you want a Golden Saint, I can ask Skink."

: "Where do you do the summoning? I mean, you don't just summon a daedra loose inside the guild, do you?"

: "No, we use the teleport pads. They're heavily enchanted with various protective and containment wards. With proper activation, nothing short of half a dozen Golden Saints can break out."

: "...wait, do those work on people?"

: "They can, but it's complicated trapping a person. Conjured daedra are bound to Mundus by the spell used to summon them. Containing them inside a circle too isn't much more complicated. But as soon as the original conjuration wears off they return to Oblivion, and a secondary containment spell won't keep them here beyond that. With a non-daedra, the local containment enchantment on the pad works just as well, but there's nothing stopping them from simply recalling out. Because of the square/distance mechanics of recall fields, it's extremely energy intensive to inhibit teleportation, and enchanting a pad to keep someone from recalling out of it just isn't practical. So every now and then you hear about a particularly dumb criminal being caught, but the Mage Guild isn't responsible for law enforcement and generally anyone powerful enough for the Legion or for local authorities to try to coordinate a containment operation is either a skilled enough caster to recall out of the ward, or smart enough to carry a divine intervention scroll. So it doesn't happen often."

Hmm. That seems consistent with everything you've been told about teleportation mechanics so far. Good to know, but not immediately useful.

: "Ok. So, 100 gold for a cheap daedra, how much would you charge me to say...enchant my boot with water walking?"

: "I can do water walking. Those lesser soulgems of yours aren't big enough to hold a clannfear though, so how about 42 for a common soulgem, and for the enchantment itself..."

: "Whoa, 142 gold to summon and soultrap a daedra and 480 for a 30 second enchantment?"

: "Of course. Any competent caster can summon and kill a daedra when it's trapped inside a ward. It's the enchanting that's the difficult part. Becoming a skilled enchanter is both an expensive and time consuming process."

That's sort of true, isn't it? Good info dump, but this is out of your price range right now.

: "Alright. Thanks for the explanation, but that's more than I'd like to spend."

: "I understand. Please remember me for any future enchanting needs."

: "I will. Thanks."

Speechcraft is now 21

Michael, how far can you see? Does the game's Fog of War restrict your vision or can you see to the horizon?

: "I remember seeing a sunrise back in Seyda Neen a few weeks ago, so I think there's no hard limit. But usually I'm surrounded by trees and buildings and things that obscure vision. Let me step outside and take a look."

On your way out you pass through the Imperial Cult shrine and check their inventory. Nothing from your shopping list, but they do have a large supply of various healing potions. Restore heal, fatigue, cure poison, paralysis, disease, etc.

Foggy day. Visibility isn't great.

+1

You leave the fortress and head outside. A few Legionnaires greet you as you pass and you respond in kind. As you leave Wolverine Hall and cross the bridge leading into Sadrith Mora, you're greeted by the morning sun rising up over the local Thieves Guild hall.

You defocus yours eyes and gaze at the stream of magicka pouring through you. It warms your heart, but it also reminds you that you still haven't learned to actually cast any spells yet.

Turning left into town, you notice a guard stop to eye you suspiciously as you walk past.

No doubt word of the Balmora massacre has reached here too.

: "Hi."

: "..."

: "Nice day, isn't it?"

: "..."

: "Ok, well...I'll just be on my way."

You keep walking, pausing briefly to admire Master Neloth's fortress towering over the marketplace.

(GM Comment: Congrats on background image #200)

Gazing at the structure, you idly wonder whether Telvanni towers and houses are edible. They're giant mushrooms, right? And it looks like the fog you saw earlier is either lifting, or it's not as dense inland. You can see a lot farther here than you could looking out over the water.

Glancing back, you notice the guard from before following about 30 feet behind you. When he sees you turn he stops to cross his arms as he watches you. Better not be loitering. You continue walking. As you pass the Gateway Inn you see two boats at the dock.

Yes, the fog is definitely thicker over the water. Visibility might be a problem. Approaching the dock, you speak to one of the ship captains.

: "Hello, do you offer ferry services? I'd like to book passage to Tel Fyr."

He doesn't answer right away.

: "Yes, this is a ferry. But Tel Fyr is off limits except with authorization from the Council. Do you have a permit?"

: "No. How would I go about acquiring one?"

: "You wouldn't, outlander."

You manage to get some prices for other destinations from him, but you're sensing a little animosity here.

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Attributes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: skills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Equipped (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Faction standings (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spells known (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Alchemy Knowledge (click to show/hide)

What do you do?

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game Ep.45
« Reply #1348 on: January 03, 2014, 08:09:08 pm »

You know, if we find a tailor we might find someone interested in our cash. Fancy fabric weaving and dye works, we could probably make a quick buck with it.

Definitely the same with our old pants too, and shirt if we care to part with them.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game Ep.45
« Reply #1349 on: January 03, 2014, 08:22:12 pm »

Forgot how snobby Televanni are. Sort of funny considering it's the only Morrowind quest line I finished to completion. :P

Anyway booted up my old save and I honestly don't know how easily we can get there. I saw more cliff racers than slaughter fish on my game although a couple of the cliff racers still attacked me even being low to the ground. Water walking might be our best bet still.

Also we should definitely learn to enchant some time. Barring glitches, I think all of my strongest characters have had Azura's star and very high enchanting skill.

I'm actually thinking we're lucky to have not run into any glitched characters yet. That can easily get far worse than any normal character regardless how how gamey they are.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 161