Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: Necropia: Adventurer Succession Survival Game (Players Wanted!)  (Read 20827 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games

Welcome to Necropia, the adventurer succession game many months in the making! (See the Prologue for more information.)

Succession Game Rules
1. Maximum 3 adventurers per player.
2. Peasants only. No spending of attribute points during character creation. You may choose to spend skill points, but extra respect goes to hardcore players who make it starting with no skills.
3. Limit of 14 in-game days to reach Bloodspire or else suicide/retire.
4. No building fortresses.
5. No allowing abominations (zombies/werecreatures/vampires/necromancers) into the tower.
6. For the ambitious: limit of one dead necromancer per player, to leave something for the others to do.
7. If you somehow become an abomination, you may not enter the tower.
8. You must write a story! It can be in any form you like - using pictures, only text, drawings, comics, whatever you can imagine. But in order to maintain interest in the game, each player must be willing to share the tale of their adventures in some kind of interesting way.
9. No destruction of Bloodspire, but otherwise you may do whatever you like with your 14 days, as long as you share the story with us.

Turn List
1. Sappho - Made it to the tower alive and rescued one maceman.
2. kesperan - Died on the doorstep of the tower with two useless arms, nearly starved to death.
3. CaptainLambcake - Anticlimactically killed by random encounters (and water) on the way to the tower.
4. Eastep
5. Argonnek - Killed by a kobold ambush after taking credit for a vampire killed by a mob.
6. Anin
7. kesperan - Nacu Dragonshins the Gang of Letters killed a ridiculous number of vampires and took care of a giant chinchilla that was plaguing Bloodspire.
8. CaptainLambcake
9. Caldfir - Killed by an alligator after an otherwise successful campaign of running away from danger.
10. Krevsin - Surprise chest-punched by a vampire.
11. Argonnek - Insta-frozen by a river at night then skull-slashed by a vampire.
12. ThatOneGuy
13. jmnmaui  - Successfully retired in the barracks of Bloodspire after a long journey from the West and the loss of a comrade.
14. kesperan - Death by bogeymen, proving they do actually exist in the world.
15. InsanityIncarnate - Skull-bashed by a vampire then glitched to meta-death by the game.
16. Ruhn - Death by badass vampire.
17. Krevsin - Killed in the night by a goblin ambush, then knocked off a building by a ghost town dog.
18. Sappho - Punched in the head to death by a naked dwarf vampire.
19. Argonnek  - Zombified.
20. Infernal_Dalek
21. Th4DwArfY1 - Defeated by Necropia!
22. Ieb - Killed by bogeymen / Drowned in the ocean / Eaten by a giant wolverine
23. Gokajern[/s]
24. Moon Label - Killed by a vampire
25. Niyazov - Killed by a mummy
26. Argonnek - Killed by a vampire, a giant wolverine, and a mummy
27. Sebastian2203 - Punched to death by an elven merchant.
28. Argonnek - Omli Ibumete made it to Bloodspire!
29. blademan9999 (current)
30. Gokajern

This was much harder than I expected it to be! I was too worried about meeting the 14-day deadline and not succumbing to infection to accomplish much else. I consider my turn finished after this one adventurer. Whoever wants to take the next turn may begin immediately, save file is here: http://www.filedropper.com/necropia

At 106 Mb it is already too big for the DFFD, due to the age of the world and extent of its history.

I'm not going to list a specific turn length limit. We will use common sense and agreement. If someone is active, they may continue their turn within reason. If someone disappears for a few days and doesn't seem to be continuing, we will skip them and move on. If anyone wishes to try this but doesn't want to tell a story, feel free to download the save and give it a try, but in order to keep the thread interesting you will only be given an official turn if you share a story.

Let's get started!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 03:13:54 am by Sappho »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
Re: Necropia: Adventurer Succession Survival Game
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 06:48:11 am »

This looks very challenging and I definitely will give it a bash.

One question though - if you got slashed in the belly by a goblin were-reptile, won't you change into a were-reptile next full moon? Or is it only if it slashes you while transformed? Because if you turn into an abomination inside the tower, you lose your 100 points!
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 07:08:46 am »

Looks like a very interesting idea for an adventurer succession game. Will definitely
keep my eyes on this, might sign up for a turn later.

One question though - if you got slashed in the belly by a goblin were-reptile, won't you change into a were-reptile next full moon? Or is it only if it slashes you while transformed? Because if you turn into an abomination inside the tower, you lose your 100 points!
As far as I know, werebeast curses are only transferred by being bitten by a werebeast in beast form, during a full moon.
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 08:53:40 am »

This looks really interesting, I might actually try this on a later turn!

Also, does unskilled mean you can't allocate physical attributes?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 09:26:29 am »

Nope. No attributes, no skills. Not even swimming or reading. You must start as a completely unremarkable peasant and survive to the tower. I intended it to be difficult, but it's definitely even more of a challenge than I expected. Hope you guys enjoy it!

Kesperan, are you going to take the first turn then? Or is everyone waiting for someone braver to go first? : )

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 11:52:52 am »

I probably won't participate in the official succession, since I only have today and can't play DF for a while after. However, it seems fun. I'll play around with this for a bit and if I finish today, I'll do a write-up; if not then probably not. Here's the game plan:

0. You probably don't need to sleep during this entire time
1. Start as elf for highest speed
2. Learn to swim by repeatedly jumping into and out of water (probably faster to do it without ambushing)
3. Turn on ambushing, jump in river, macro throw and pick up your dagger repeatedly to become a legendary thrower and archer
4. Max out swimming, sneaking, endurance and toughness swimming under a bridge repeatedly (or maybe not if it's too slow, since no points are awarded for attributes)
5. Find a bunch of shields
6. Go wrestle, kick, punch, bite and cudgel an undead gopher or the like until you have 4-8 more legendary skills
7. Talk to somebody about surroundings until you know everything about the world
8. Finish with between 300 and 400 points

Currently I'm sitting not-so-pretty in my dress in the muddy river throwing my dagger underwater a lot, and it's looking pretty good - it's the first morning and I'm already competent at things. Will probably need to turn on the TV as this is extremely repetitive though.

The world seems to be a bit modded, as my elf started with metal equipment.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 12:01:51 pm »

I think I'm going to have to decline on taking a turn - the world is big enough that my ancient laptop can't really load it. Looking forward to seeing what everyone else does, though.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 12:29:21 pm »

I probably won't participate in the official succession, since I only have today and can't play DF for a while after. However, it seems fun. I'll play around with this for a bit and if I finish today, I'll do a write-up; if not then probably not. Here's the game plan:

0. You probably don't need to sleep during this entire time
1. Start as elf for highest speed
2. Learn to swim by repeatedly jumping into and out of water (probably faster to do it without ambushing)
3. Turn on ambushing, jump in river, macro throw and pick up your dagger repeatedly to become a legendary thrower and archer
4. Max out swimming, sneaking, endurance and toughness swimming under a bridge repeatedly (or maybe not if it's too slow, since no points are awarded for attributes)
5. Find a bunch of shields
6. Go wrestle, kick, punch, bite and cudgel an undead gopher or the like until you have 4-8 more legendary skills
7. Talk to somebody about surroundings until you know everything about the world
8. Finish with between 300 and 400 points

Currently I'm sitting not-so-pretty in my dress in the muddy river throwing my dagger underwater a lot, and it's looking pretty good - it's the first morning and I'm already competent at things. Will probably need to turn on the TV as this is extremely repetitive though.

The world seems to be a bit modded, as my elf started with metal equipment.

There is no modding of any kind. Completely vanilla DF. And I suppose you can probably get a good score this way, but it doesn't sound like very much fun just macroing until you're so bored you can't even play the game without watching TV in the background. Kind of defeats the purpose of this being a challenge and a storytelling idea.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 12:45:48 pm »

snip

There is no modding of any kind. Completely vanilla DF. And I suppose you can probably get a good score this way, but it doesn't sound like very much fun just macroing until you're so bored you can't even play the game without watching TV in the background. Kind of defeats the purpose of this being a challenge and a storytelling idea.

Well, I feel a bit silly now. I suppose a scoring system just brings out the worst in some of us, and that +25p seems to completely outweigh everything else if you abuse it as it is so easy to get to legendary. Sorry. I was going to write it up as a tale of demonic possession and horrible suffering, though. Count me out either way, I just drowned under a bridge, froze to death and drowned again trying to learn to swim. Three strikes.

Strange about the elves with copper gear.

EDIT: Further testing shows that elves start with a copper spear and dagger if you allocate no combat skills, and with wooden equipment if you do.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 01:17:24 pm »

It's true, offering a reward of points does tend to motivate people to ignore everything else in pursuit of the high score... Maybe it's a mistake. In fact, I'm not entirely sure I remember why I decided on a point system for this game. I suppose I wanted to give people a reason to rescue others by bringing them to the tower, but that might not be necessary.

Would anyone object if I remove the points system and instead just keep a list of innocents who have been saved by bringing them to Bloodspire, and who rescued them?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 01:27:34 pm »

If you want epic tales and not grinding, I'd suggest removing or reducing the reward for legendary skills as that means if you spend half of your first day throwing you get 50p.

It is going to be very hard to get enough notable kills to increase your score directly or increase your fame enough to draw enough companions to matter in 10 days, so those are probably alright. I think having a reward for those does encourage people to go on side quests and exploits instead of just running directly for Bloodspire. Could add an extra reward for megabeasts and titans if you wanted to, maybe.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 01:38:17 pm »

The problem with rewarding notable kills is that one ambitious player can wipe out half the map and then there's nothing left for other players to do. This was the problem in my last adventurer succession (the retirement home). I suppose the time limit could help with that, but still... The points for killing "abominations" are intended as a tiny reward for slaying hordes of zombies and such. Note the limit of one necromancer kill per player, to prevent wiping out all the zombies and stealing our !!fun!! : )

OK, I'll remove the points entirely, and just keep the time limit and a list of rescued innocents. I don't have time to change it just now but I'll do it soon. So the goal is to get to Bloodspire and rescue others if you can. I think instead of a high score list, there'll just be a list of each player's achievements. Innocents rescued, notable deeds, whether they decided to massacre a town and become a necromancer instead of heading to Bloodspire... That way everyone is encouraged to do something interesting and memorable, but with the time limit they won't be able to ruin all the fun for future players.

If anyone wants to get started, just grab the save and go. It's slow to load and save but the actual gameplay shouldn't be laggy. I'll update the first post when I can.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 01:44:21 pm »

Okay. Sorry to poke at your thread so much, but note me as objecting to that though. On two grounds: a) a map can only spawn so many epic tales, regardless of whether you're counting the kills - killing a dragon is still going to make for a good tale and you can only do that so many times, and b) I don't see that it makes a difference that you're not tallying them up as points if you're listing achievements anyway - a score just makes them easier to compare, but they're mattering anyway and there's incentive to go for an all kill of dragons anyway :P

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 04:32:25 pm »

I am downloading the save just now.

I will give it a bash as the first official turn if you like. I expect to be ripped apart by zombie ravens before I make it anywhere near the sacred volcano...

Edit -  kind of went down as I thought. With fewer zombies and more kobolds. Peasants are rubbish. Should I upload now? Or do I get three attempts?

Edit 2 - finding this brutally hard. Nobody will join me. Tried armouring up, too slow and get killed by anything. Tried making a run for it, either killed by bogeys or camels. Guess I don't have the skillset for this type of game.

If you are keen we stick to peasants with no skills, the only way I can see that I can do it is by spending several days getting my skills up to be strong enough to kill something which is, for me, boring and not really in the spirit of what you were trying to achieve.  You were very lucky to get a maceman to follow your peasant, nobody would follow me at all. My best attempt of the three I made was to make a human that starts at the closest site to the fortress and make a mad dash. Got killed by a trap as I had no observer skills.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 07:38:49 am by kesperan »
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 09:56:40 am »

I only got the maceman to follow me by leveling up a fighting skill (throwing) to a decent level first. No one will follow you if you are unskilled, so yes, if you want people to come with you, you have to grind a bit at the beginning.

Maybe I'll just cancel all the stuff about achievements and make the sole point of the game to get to the tower alive. I put on the time limit to prevent anyone from killing all the interesting stuff in the world and taking all the fun away from other players, so I'll keep that, but it can be extended if 14 days isn't enough. (I did make it in 7 with minimal grinding, just enough to get my one follower, but it was very difficult and I almost failed many times).

If no one is up for doing it with no skills, we can change the rules to allow spending skill points on character creation. But definitely only peasants, and no attribute points please, I don't want it to get too easy!

How about this: you can choose to spend skill points at the beginning if you want, but when you post your story you have to let us know whether you took skills or not. Extra bragging rights go to those hardcore players who make it starting with nothing.

So kesperan, if you want you can start over with 3 fresh attempts using the above revisions. I'll go update the first post. By the way, you got killed by a trap because you didn't follow the clues on the map! There is a secret entrance with no traps. Have a look at the story of my turn for pictures and extra help getting in without death.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17