Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 526402 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #2205 on: April 07, 2016, 09:25:01 am »

I'm not sure that would have gone any better w/o the bodyguards. Well, I suppose w/o the bodyguards Father Illearth would have been far less likely to be fully surrounded by the chaff that ground him down to a coarse red-and-brown paste.

That kinda turned out as the worst of both of your anticipated scenarios...

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: April 07, 2016, 12:05:42 pm »

That actually wasn't the fight I was thinking of, but yeah - I wasn't quite sure how to use him. Maybe I should've just kept him at home, crafting stuff. Firebrand would've been better then frostbrand, too.

Edit: Trying to decide if I like the Scutata Volturnus - I mean, it's better then plain Black Steel or Weightless, and I don't have the nature for an Eye or Vine shield, which would be the obvious choices, Gleaming Gold wouldn't have helped against undead chaff anyway... Hmm, I dunno. Looking through all my options, Charcoal might've been a good choice. The single lightning bolt each turn just seemed underwhelming.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 12:15:36 pm by AlStar »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: April 07, 2016, 01:11:54 pm »

Scutata Volturnus is weird, yeah. It seems like a choice for anti-thugs more than anything else.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: April 07, 2016, 02:10:23 pm »

Charcoal shield, perhaps, for fighting undead.

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: April 07, 2016, 02:29:05 pm »

What about using several horror seeds on mage center?( well, however, leprosy is just thaum 6 and does job 20 times better)
If I retreat will Lammashtas or battle summoned horrors stay in battle?
What are good cast and retreat spells?
What is the spell, which makes every forest spread your dominion and attack enemy with animals, trolls and vinemen? Will this synergize with fuck you dominions like 3 cold 3 death  insanity spreading or with ermor/ ctis toxic stuff?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: April 07, 2016, 02:43:00 pm »

On your last question, yes, it will. Enchanted Forests? Can't load the inspector on my phone.  :(
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: April 07, 2016, 03:00:48 pm »

That's it, yeah. Haunted is the manikin one, wild hunt the sacred killer, probably a couple others I'm forgetting. Nature and nature crosspaths actually have a lot of really nice globals besides the normal Mother Oak/Gift of Health, they just don't seem to get used all that much. I'd actually consider wild hunt almost a straight counter to reanimation nations -- killing off 3-4 priests a turn does pretty terrible things to nations reliant on H casters for something or another, and they're bloody hard to stop in D4.

As to cast and retreat, basically anything that's battlefield wide and a single turn effect -- earthquake, mass enslave, solar brilliance, etc., etc., etc. Most of the lingering stuff will cut off once the caster retreats. Bonus points if they don't have a means of healing affliction and the spell causes them (plague, solar brilliance again, and so on). You can do it earlier with non-battlefield wide stuff, it's just riskier and generally not as effective.

And yeah, horror marking in general is kinda' iffy, especially compared to disease and whatnot. The flip side to that is that disease and afflictions can be, well, countered. Horror marks and seeds are pretty much forever, and you can't really get rid of them short of getting the afflicted killed off. Also blood tends to be really nice for just spewing those kinds of things all over the place -- leprosy may be 20 times better, but a blood nation may just be able to cast horror seed 20 times more than they can cast leprosy :P S'all about access and what the target can manage, basically.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 03:02:42 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: April 07, 2016, 03:12:39 pm »

Wild hunt may only be a temporary inconvenience, though, since you can just move all your research priest-mages, etc, out of your forest provinces. It'd only be a serious issue if you have no non-forest forts or need priests in your armies and need to send them into forests.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: April 07, 2016, 03:17:27 pm »

I'm... fairly sure the wild hunt can hit stuff outside of forests. The lord might not, but I could swear at the very least the ancillary attacks can.

E: Though testing it definitely looks like they can't. Nevermind, then, haha!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 03:26:34 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Amuys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: April 08, 2016, 02:53:59 am »

Horror Seed sucks.
Better to just spam Send Horror with Astral Corruption up. It's a...10% chance of sending a Doom Horror instead of a regular horror with AC up I think? Or just send a Defiler of Dreams or a Harvester of Sorrows at the fort.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 02:57:05 am by Amuys »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: April 08, 2016, 05:47:03 am »

What about using several horror seeds on mage center?( well, however, leprosy is just thaum 6 and does job 20 times better)

Just never cast horror seed, in my test I never saw it hit a commander, even with 10-ish commanders and 5 groups in the target area.

As for cast&retreat, dunno - I thought earthquake was a good one, but I tested it in Round18 and ... the caster killed himself and nothing else happend at all.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: April 08, 2016, 09:27:10 am »

Yeeaaah, I was playing around with gemless/debug mode and had like... ten debug senseis dropping horror seeds on the (fairly heavily entrenched) enemy capital for something like a dozen turns. It... barely did anything. Like, I'd sit there for five or six turns, letting the horrors build up, then drop a ghost rider on them or earth attack or whatever, and most of the time the horrors still wouldn't pop out. And even when they did, they usually didn't do anything.

It's honestly almost demoralizing to watch a horror pop up in the middle of a bunch of PD and instantly die to militia/light infantry.

Dream horrors, though. Dream horrors are the way to go. Cheaper than the seed, hard to catch (they're stealth 80!), jacks the unrest straight through the roof, and even if someone finds them they'll at least do a bit of damage instead of being immediately surrounded and poked to death. They're basically monster boars on steroids. Only problem is taking the province once it's been shut down and wrecked by unrest -- then you have however many dream horrors infesting the province to deal with, ahaha.
Ask not!
Ask!

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: April 08, 2016, 11:22:27 am »

As for cast&retreat, dunno - I thought earthquake was a good one, but I tested it in Round18 and ... the caster killed himself and nothing else happend at all.

Who did you cast it with? I've had good experiences with a pair of pans casting an earthquake before bravely hopping away. And I think you really want those two casts. Humans have good odds of surviving a single quake as it's only 8AP. I don't use human HP mages to cast EQ unless I can flight them somehow.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: April 08, 2016, 11:27:41 am »

Just never cast horror seed, in my test I never saw it hit a commander, even with 10-ish commanders and 5 groups in the target area.
It's not really for normal battle cases anyway. It's for taking out SCs. That is much less important now than in Dominions 3 though.

Who did you cast it with? I've had good experiences with a pair of pans casting an earthquake before bravely hopping away. And I think you really want those two casts. Humans have good odds of surviving a single quake as it's only 8AP. I don't use human HP mages to cast EQ unless I can flight them somehow.
Earthquake also does a lot more damage in caves, and Agarthan units have good HP. Slap some nice armor on an oracle and he can really fuck armies up even unsupported. Only reason this isn't more valuable is because if you have an oracle handy, then you probably have an army too.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: April 08, 2016, 12:22:00 pm »

Rain of Stones is another possibility, but it's harder to not die to, and for some target armies a single casting may not kill anything (except the squishy mage who is casting it - for humans, even if wearing armor, especially). It also seems to only hit about half the squares on the battlefield, but against certain kinds of armies it's still effective at eliminating half their number with one casting.
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 236